• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Amp: power issues?

jgriggio

Hi all,

I'm very temped to buy a Wiim Amp but some comments and reviews online are holding me back: does it really not have enough power? And I don't mean if 60wpc is enough or not, I know it is. I'm referring to the fact that (some people say) it really does not have a good enough power supply and when pushed moderately hard, it does not have what it takes to deliver that power.

Does someone have experience with this? Is a midrange AV Receiver better in this regard? (don't mind the price difference)

I want to buy something that is able to deliver the power it is rated for with full potential and no issues.

Many thanks in advance!

Sydneysider

I have a WiimAmp - bought it for an apartment system. I have a choice of amps costing up to $3,500 in my main home system. As Darko said in his first review the key with the Wim Amp is to use the sub-woofer output to a powered sub-woofer so the Wiim Amp is only having to power the regular speakers at above 80Hz. I initially tried the Wiim Amp with some speakers and no subwoofer and the sound was not good - but once I changed to different speakers and a separate sub-woofer it sounds totally different. Power does not seem to be an issue at all - it is running at only 40% volume and delivering peaks of 70 dB and power is not an evident restraint. As good interms of quality as my amps costing 10 times as much - of course not. Using a sub-woofer liberates the WiimAmp.

Top Bottom