• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why so much better? HE1000SE + DX320 vs DX240

Anthrax

Forum Donor
Hi Forum,

just as a starter, I believe in neutrality of audio equipment so that the artists intent expressed with the recording is best reproduced to its original. Hence I am not into tube amplification which almost always introduces distortion which defies the point. That said, DACs have reached performance levels which make them per se neutral in the reproduction chain. And a state of the art A/B amplifier implementations introduce minimal noise and distortion, too.

That said, I am quite thrown off by the difference between the iBASSO DX320 ROHM DAC and AMP11MK2s combo with HIFIMAN HE1000SE vs. the DX240 ESS DAC and AMP 8MK2s, both via 4 pole differential (balanced) connection.

The clarity, spaciousness of the DX320 vs DX240 is so notable that I wonder what the root cause actually might be - the Amps? the DAC chips? Thoughts? :)

Best
T

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Forum,

just as a starter, I believe in neutrality of audio equipment so that the artists intent expressed with the recording is best reproduced to its original. Hence I am not into tube amplification which almost always introduces distortion which defies the point. That said, DACs have reached performance levels which make them per se neutral in the reproduction chain. And a state of the art A/B amplifier implementations introduce minimal noise and distortion, too.

That said, I am quite thrown off by the difference between the iBASSO DX320 ROHM DAC and AMP11MK2s combo with HIFIMAN HE1000SE vs. the DX240 ESS DAC and AMP 8MK2s, both via 4 pole differential (balanced) connection.

The clarity, spaciousness of the DX320 vs DX240 is so notable that I wonder what the root cause actually might be - the Amps? the DAC chips? Thoughts? :)

Best
T
How did you ensure the volume was the same on both?

OP
A

Anthrax

Forum Donor
I don't have the equipment to measure so it was best guess :) I am aware that psycho-acoustically louder headphones / speaker sound always better.

Now here comes the rub - even if I noticeably lower the volume on DX320 combo, it sounds just subjectively better. Maybe that is the end of it...

Top Bottom