• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why have the speaker level inputs largely dissappeared from subwoofers?

maxp779

Also were speaker level inputs ever actually that common in the past on a subwoofer? From googling I get the impression they might have been but im not sure.

I see quite a few amplifiers with no pre out, but with 2x speaker level outs e.g Marantz PM 6006. However I looked at a lot of the subwoofers at Richer Sounds and most of them lacked speaker level inputs. It's all RCA inputs. So it looks basically impossible to hook up a modern subwoofer to an amp that lacks a pre out. Or am I totally wrong and there is a way to convert the speaker outs to RCA?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think you can use a Jensen isomax transformer to do this. High level input with both line level and high level output.
But dont high level inputs cause noise and distortion?
Much better off using a pre/dac/avr with sub or analogue outputs. So many choices these days, why buy inferior gear not fit for purpose and then compromise sub integration? Or spend money on costly compromises?

tuga

Major Contributor
Perhaps because the target audience is the home cinema user and he owns an AV receiver with sub line outs?

RPG

Forum Donor
I believe REL still makes most, if not all, of their subs with speaker level input capability. I have two of their older R-305's, hooked up exactly this way.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One reason is that just adding a subwoofer without correctly high-pass filtering the loudspeakers and crossing both with symmetric phase and amplitudes, rarely gives an optimal result. The problem rather is that most stereo amps till recently had no real crossovers and measurement options.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, I'm not sure why you would want to connect them that way. Subs need a lot of power and the plate amps in active subs are typically optimized for the specific driver.
High level inputs don't directly drive the sub, they just provide the input to the built in amp.

Top Bottom