• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why eq to a flat response prior to eq'ing to a Harman Curve?

My adventures in stereo

Hi

I use a bookshelf speaker , sub system with a minidsp SHD for eq duty using REW
I got better results with REW, than with DIRAC live, after multiple tries, hence sticking to the former

Presently getting best results with a Toole Curve

Got me thinking about why to first eq to neutral and then introduce the house curve of choice?
Dont you end up losing head room by doing multiple eq?

Currently just eq to house curve of choice after using the eq tool in REW

staticV3

Master Contributor
I doubt see a point either THB.

If you have a target curve that works well for your listening distance and room acoustics, then just EQ your system straight to that.

(Usual disclaimers about Schröder, bass nulls, etc. still apply)

Multicore

Major Contributor
I doubt see a point either THB.

If you have a target curve that works well for your listening distance and room acoustics, then just EQ your system straight to that.

(Usual disclaimers about Schröder, bass nulls, etc. still apply)
Schröder Bass Nulls is going on my list of titles looking for recordings.

ppataki

Major Contributor
Hi

I got better results with REW, than with DIRAC live, after multiple tries, hence sticking to the former

Got me thinking about why to first eq to neutral and then introduce the house curve of choice?

I agree with @staticV3
I would just add that in case none of the target curves match your system/taste then it does make sense to EQ to flat and then add low shelf/high shelf filters to taste
This is actually what I have been doing for many years

Multicore

Major Contributor
I agree with @staticV3
I would just add that in case none of the target curves match your system/taste then it does make sense to EQ to flat and then add low shelf/high shelf filters to taste
This is actually what I have been doing for many years
That makes sense. It saves you the trouble of remembering the baseline eq.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regular Dirac Live can suck the bass out but DLBC does a great job with it. If you already own DL I'd suggest trying out DLBC.

Otherwise, what does your mic tell you and how does that compare with your sound preference? Doing EQ to follow a specific curve has never really worked for me.

Digital_Thor

Hi

Well.... no matter the target curve, your lowest SPL of your 20-20Khz response from any loudspeaker - is going to be your max SPL anyway, since best practice, is to cut, rather than boost.
So EQ'ing a speaker to flat before you introduce the room, is just a way to try and correct what might be possible to correct - linear in any speaker. Then your speaker should end up with a smooth downwards tilt, since increased frequency tend to be more easily absorbed in the room, and more beamy, from most conventional speaker designs.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ut-room-curve-targets-room-eq-and-more.10950/

I find it rather easy to EQ a speaker flat - quasi anechoically - and then the speaker "automatically" has a downwards tilt in the listening position, for exactly the reason I tried to describe, and therefore linked to... for a better explanation - rather than my scribblings.

Top Bottom