• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Don't High SINAD Receivers Exist?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC, the posted number was 85-90dB, not 70dB.

Don't confuse SINAD with the distance to the Harmonics. SINAD is the sum of noise and the harmonics.
Pretty sure I am not. Did put THD or SINAD near ~every number. In any case, just tell me if you find a mistake and I'll fix.

And yes you did quote ~85dB which is of course way 'safer' than 70 or so. There were many others quoting all sorts of D numbers in this thread. And on ASR-at-large you'll find figures like 70 & 75dB SINAD quite often. Particularly on AVR threads were fanboys will tell you all day long how their devices are "not audible" in spite of all the shameful measurement results and that no one 'needs' better than their amazing AVR.

That basically satisfies the "lenient limit" for THD as established in this thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/
So yes: highest harmonic @ -85dB should not be much of an issue in real program material. It might be audible in freak accident scenarios and with test tones, thus -115dB is the strict limit of audibility.
Archimago comes to a similar conclusion when thinking about why the sample with 0.2% added THD was preferred.
my opinion on all that is still that any generic "distortion at xx dB is ok" is a lot more misleading than useful/practical. A giant lot more.

According to the Senpai's measurements, the highest harmonic of e.g.: the X4700 sits at -85dB and is the 3rd order. The second order sits at -103(?) dB.
cool, let's talk AVRs, I'll need "a minute" though :)

Last edited:

3dbinCanada

Moderators, Can we please close this thread? The circle of BS being presented by one indvidual keeps going round and round like a record with a skip. It gets fustrating when qualified people who have studied or a practising engineering keep having to repeat the defintitions over and over again and the individual who has invented their own terms and definitions refuses to accept the facts.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
my opinion on all that is still that any generic "distortion at xx dB is ok" is a lot more misleading than useful/practical. A giant lot more.
I humbly disagree.
Now -85dB may be a debatable number. I can imagine that in really quiet, purpose built, well treated rooms where people can let loose and play at high SPL, harmonics could theoretically be audible.
Lets take -100dB as an example.

If the harmonics are down at -100dB the # of available scenarios in which an e.g.: 3dB strong harmonic @ a playback level of 103dB would matter are already pretty slim to nonexistent.

1) Transducer distortion rises rapidly when playing above 100dB, especially for bookshelf speakers. My 906, for instance have pretty heavy distortions at 96dB already, as measured by our overlord Amir. Not sure I could even push them past 100dB.
2) a 3dB strong harmonic gets lost in the noise floor of a typical room or even a really quiet one. I measure sth. around 42dB(C) at best in my room. I know human ears can listen "into the noise" and still recognize signals, but I doubt they penetrate that deeply. Especially not when point 3 applies at the same time. (You're the psychoacoustic man, perhaps you have more data on that)
3) Masking effects. It's very difficult for our ear to hear a tiny signal, next to an overwhelmingly loud one. If you blast your ear with 120dB of sound, would you be able to hear a 20dB harmonic? I certainly could not. All I could do would be reaching for the power plug while panicking and my neighbor would probably be like (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻ ━┻ .... but that's beside the point.

At -115dB your primary signal would need to go past the human threshold of pain in order for harmonics to be audible. Hence this being the strict limit.

As the thread stated: lenient limits should be okay most of the time. No guarantees though. I find that to be a fair assessment and a good rule of thumb to go by. Naturally, you have to check with your own, specific listening conditions, in order to figure out whether you might have a case on your hands, that demands better performance. The strict limit is a safe bet no matter the case.
Unless you're not human. Then ask your own scientists.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Moderators, Can we please close this thread? The circle of BS being presented by one indvidual keeps going round and round like a record with a skip. It gets fustrating when qualified people who have studied or a practising engineering keep having to repeat the defintitions over and over again and the individual who has invented their own terms and definitions refuses to accept the facts.
The ignore function is your friend.
It prevents needless irritation, though can make threads difficult to follow if the ignoree posts a lot - which is common with people worth ignoring, unfortunately.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I humbly disagree.
Now -85dB may be a debatable number. I can imagine that in really quiet, purpose built, well treated rooms where people can let loose and play at high SPL, harmonics could theoretically be audible.
Lets take -100dB as an example.

If the harmonics are down at -100dB the # of available scenarios in which an e.g.: 3dB strong harmonic @ a playback level of 103dB would matter are already pretty slim to nonexistent.

1) Transducer distortion rises rapidly when playing above 100dB, especially for bookshelf speakers. My 906, for instance have pretty heavy distortions at 96dB already, as measured by our overlord Amir. Not sure I could even push them past 100dB.
2) a 3dB strong harmonic gets lost in the noise floor of a typical room or even a really quiet one. I measure sth. around 42dB(C) at best in my room. I know human ears can listen "into the noise" and still recognize signals, but I doubt they penetrate that deeply. Especially not when point 3 applies at the same time. (You're the psychoacoustic man, perhaps you have more data on that)
3) Masking effects. It's very difficult for our ear to hear a tiny signal, next to an overwhelmingly loud one. If you blast your ear with 120dB of sound, would you be able to hear a 20dB harmonic? I certainly could not. All I could do would be reaching for the power plug while panicking and my neighbor would probably be like (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻ ━┻ .... but that's beside the point.

At -115dB your primary signal would need to go past the human threshold of pain in order for harmonics to be audible. Hence this being the strict limit.

As the thread stated: lenient limits should be okay most of the time. No guarantees though. I find that to be a fair assessment and a good rule of thumb to go by. Naturally, you have to check with your own, specific listening conditions, in order to figure out whether you might have a case on your hands, that demands better performance. The strict limit is a safe bet no matter the case.
Unless you're not human. Then ask your own scientists.

all good points but I'll stay with my "no number is safe" for now. As long as anything above ~55dB cannot be properly tested because of speaker/HP limits, it's hard to say anything other than "don't know"(="not safe"). Of course at 110dB+ you run into many other (human) limitations but I'd like to see some clear tests before I can say "no worry about D at xx dB". Who knows, maybe 100dB speakers will appear in our lifetime(s). Seriously slim chances but breakthroughs do happen.

3dbinCanada

Aerith Gainsborough

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be at least twice more expansive for a large company. Then there is no market for it.
maybe.
'A' market surely exists, e.g. Datasat/Trinnov/etc have AVR/Ps in the +$20K price range. In the $10K range there are also many AVR/Ps like AudioControl, JBL, McIntosh, Lyngdorf, Focal, etc. AFAIK, none of those measures like a 2020 device but many still pay the huge prices.

Last edited:

3dbinCanada

4950 USD for the Preamplifier "Plus-Ultra" Edition, according to the preorder page of analog-precision.com.
That price is near twice the cost of Yamaha's top model AVR and it doesnt include amplification. That puts it out of reach for a huge part of the population. There's a price to pay for high SINAD even when the SINAD is well beyond the point of diminshing returns. Lets see how long this company continues to produce this product before it needs to compromise and drop its SINAD to the more main stream AVRs which is still inaudible.

Aerith Gainsborough

Aye, given the rather short lifecycle of the formats and the connection standards, I'd never pay that kind of money for an AVR.

EB1000

I don't understand why SINAD measured here for AV receivers is done only in direct mode when all digital processing is turned off, which does not represent practical listening modes. I would like to see AVR tested while room correction is fully active. What would be the SINAD difference for the Denon X6700H with Audyssey off vs on?

I have a feeling it will be lower than 70

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why SINAD measured here for AV receivers is done only in direct mode when all digital processing is turned off, which does not represent practical listening modes. I would like to see AVR tested while room correction is fully active. What would be the SINAD difference for the Denon X6700H with Audyssey off vs on?

I have a feeling it will be lower than 70
please add me to that "don't understand" group. It is the same for all AVRs.
A while ago, there was a remark from Amir (IIRC in the x4700 review) that he tried such an all-features-on test and got some strange number in the 40-50 SINAD range. It 'disappeared' or I just can't find it anymore.

Anyway, I agree with you, all AVR reviews should include at least one all-features-active test.

valerianf

Quote: I agree with you, all AVR reviews should include at least one all-features-active test.
We need to know how bad is the sound after the dsp is engaged.
It is the purpose of having an AVR.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

3dbinCanada

Until there is a correlation between SINAD and audibility, then SINAD is rather useless. Amir is long over due in bringing in this correlation. As it stands at the moment, only half of the science has been done. Its time to finish the homework.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir is long over due in bringing in this correlation. As it stands at the moment, only half of the science has been done. Its time to finish the homework.

I was unaware that Amir was personally responsible for all psychoacoustic research on Earth.

Man, he's really been dragging his feet, huh? :rolleyes:

3dbinCanada

I was unaware that Amir was personally responsible for all psychoacoustic research on Earth.

Man, he's really been dragging his feet, huh? :rolleyes:

Yeah that came out wrong. Im just fustrated that SINAD is being used to judge equipment without any reference to audibility levels of distortion.

valerianf

Ken Ishiwata legendary Marantz engineer:
Measurement or listening... which takes priority?
All measurements we do are static. Yes, they are essential to find out how amplifiers are working, but they don’t tell you about the sound quality. You have been in my listening room in Eindhoven. We’ve spent so many hours in that room listening and fine tuning all Marantz products. Sometimes that listening forces us to change our basic design, despite the fact that the measurements are okay.

Top Bottom