• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does headphones measurement graphs always gets squiggly-er in the treble?

MrBlitzpunk

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question as I'm quite new to this forum.
But i wanted to delve a little bit deeper in the more scientific/physical side of the audio world.

As the title said, why does headphones measurements always gets janky in the upper treble? I also noticed that IEM measurements is a lot smoother in the treble region. Is this a quirk specific to the transducers/build of headphones or is it the limitation of the measurements rig itself?

A second, somewhat unrelated question; less about audio and more about how soundwave works in general. So how does sound wave interacts with space? I noticed that when i play my speakers inside a closed room, i can still hear most of the upper frequency but the bass is significantly reduced. Meanwhile when there's a concert somewhere near my area, i can mostly hear the bass from far away, but not the treble. What is the physical explanation of this?

Top Bottom