• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do humans like jazz?

JohnnyAudio

Better than the original anyone?

Mesmerizing?

Stop this jazz is supposed to have no melody crap, please.
Thank you for The Bad Plus... I needed that... it satisfied my quest for complexity...for the moment

JohnnyAudio

My Gramps brought me to see Lionel Hampton, Buddy Rick and the Duke when I was 5 and pushed me right up front, I'll never forget those big band horns in my face and the power of the stand up bass. I like Jazz.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Like everyone I have my own set of musical preferences. I did not like Metal until I listened to Metallica. I did not like traditional country until I listened to Johnny Cash. I did not like Motown until I listened to Stevie and Marvin. And the list goes on. Eventually I got tired of listening to Abbey Road and YES prog rock. Jazz is incredibly diverse. I personally love later Miles Davis albums that experiment with sound. My girlfriend thinks it sounds like chaotic noise. But she loves Amy Winehouse, who I think is lounge pop jazz, in a good way. To me it’s all jazz, sort of.

DMill

Forum Donor
Show me an example? or name one from those
Without even going deep, any early Miles Davis stuff. Bill Evans who played on that album I’d call smooth and has many solo examples. Kenny G, who I hate, could be called smooth I suppose. Or I’m from Rochester NY, our hometown jazz guy is Chuck Mangione, he was smooth. A bit too smooth for me, but definitely smooth. One of the best SNL performances I’ve ever seen Sting had Branford Marsalis do a solo that was sooooo smooooth. :)

Mikig

I'll try even if it's complicated for me...

Listening to jazz gives me the idea of looking out the window* and seeing a succession of different landscapes, colours, shapes...this has led me to abandon more and more pop rock and classical, closed in a rigid form that unfortunately has very little to say these days.
I'm no longer interested in words, endlessly repeated, they bore me, I much prefer notes to be interpreted with the mind.
I had the same journey with art a few years ago, when bored of fake landscapes and fake figures I fell back on the great classics of modern art free from patterns and frames...

*of the vehicle you prefer, the sensation must be of movement..

Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
I'll try even if it's complicated for me...

Listening to jazz gives me the idea of looking out the window and seeing a succession of different landscapes, colours, shapes...this has led me to abandon more and more pop rock and classical, closed in a rigid form that unfortunately has very little to say these days.
I'm no longer interested in words, endlessly repeated, they bore me, I much prefer notes to be interpreted with the mind.
I had the same journey with art a few years ago, when bored of fake landscapes and fake figures I fell back on the great classics of modern art free from patterns and frames...
Maybe a little too far for my taste. :) But your take on it is yours. I’d rather not think on it as people who don’t love jazz don’t “understand” it. Or that listening to jazz or classical music is any way the benchmark for understaning music. I heard an interview with Billy Joel on Stern. He listens to classical to inspire him. Someone else might listen to Sex Pistols. It’s all Good.

pderousse

For me: syncopation. But then, I’m not sure you have jazz without syncopation, so maybe that’s the answer for you too.

Eulipian

Better than the original anyone?

Mesmerizing?

Stop this jazz is supposed to have no melody crap, please.
The Hartman - Coltrane set is just heartbreaking in the good sense of pathos. The Bad Plus is exploratory jazz that is uplifting. Thanks for posting.

JohnnyAudio

A Jazz trio is Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Show me an example? or name one from those
I posted on the topic previously. But for the lazy searchers, there's "Miles for Lovers" or Coltrane's collaboration with Johnny Hartman (a total classic) and many... many... others. Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debbie" - is that experimental jazz? Nope. As always with music, being blind-folded is an impediment to discover new things.

Last edited:

stalepie2

Major Contributor
I posted on the topic previously. But for the lazy searchers, there's "Miles for Lovers" or Coltrane's collaboration with Johnny Hartman (a total classic) and many... many... others. Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debbie" - is that experimental jazz? Nope. As always with music, being blind-folded is an impediment to discover new things.
I do not see, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../43640175/&q=miles+davis+pablolie&o=relevance

oh, My One and Only Love? Coltrane and Hartman

stalepie2

Major Contributor
If it has saxophones then it is jazz music. If it doesn't have saxophones then it's probably not very jazzy.

Top Bottom