• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why aren't there more honest and objective reviewers like ASR and Amir?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Why do you think Rolex increased their sales after Apple Watch, a watch that is as accurate as the best Atomic clock, introduced?
Like many many products in high end audio, they are simply jewelry making states as to its owners income and nothing else.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
We are mixing very distinct criteria/properties here. Some want speed or reliability from their cars, and accuracy from their watches… while others are after “the statement” and ”wealth signaling”. Those are simply orthogonal and uncorrelated.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like many many products in high end audio, they are simply jewelry making states as to its owners income and nothing else.
You may want to open your eyes and read about the Rolex buyers demographics. Those jewelery state watches have since moved to another order of magnitude in price. Rolex now advertises on TV in the UK and sell to the “man on the street”.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may want to open your eyes and read about the Rolex buyers demographics. Those jewelery state watches have since moved to another order of magnitude in price. Rolex now advertises on TV in the UK and sell to the “man on the street”.
People used to be “house poor” or “car poor.” Now they are “watch poor.” Not kidding—there are people who live paycheck to paycheck because all their money goes to pay for their watch(es) bought on credit.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People used to be “house poor” or “car poor.” Now they are “watch poor.” Not kidding—there are people who live paycheck to paycheck because all their money goes to pay for their watch(es) bought on credit.
I know there are a lot of dedicated wristwatch fans on this site (there’s a thread - “what’s on your wrist”), but it seems like such a pointless use of funds to me (Says the guy who probably has close to six figures into audio over a lifetime).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know there are a lot of dedicated wristwatch fans on this site (there’s a thread - “what’s on your wrist”), but it seems like such a pointless use of funds to me (Says the guy who probably has close to six figures into audio over a lifetime).
Have you checked second hand Rolex prices?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rolex are a bit like the Bose of wrist watches. A good product which is familiar to people with no interest in audio or watches but which is often not especially highly regarded by enthusiasts.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yep, that's the bottom line on that "new demo market". Folks trying to make the impression the their income has one or two decimal places more than it really does. LOL

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I drowned my Seiko diving watch, I decided not to wear any watch on my wrist any more and feel sooo much better.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rolex are a bit like the Bose of wrist watches. A good product which is familiar to people with no interest in audio or watches but which is often not especially highly regarded by enthusiasts.
Or maybe:

Wristwatches are a bit like the Bose of timepieces. A good product which is familiar to people with no interest in audio or timepieces but which is often not especially highly regarded by the true enthusiasts, those who only purchase grandfather clocks.

;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say more like B&O if you want an analogy to the Hi-Fi brands.

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
I must be very very watch poor, never owned a watch, borrowed one once , and that day I had to work on a UHF transmitter a got a hell of shock of the Anode, New again wore any thing metal on hands. Plessey PTR377 transmitter.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I must be very very watch poor, never owned a watch
Wow, I almost never wear one, only for dress-up.
But I must have at least 10 floating around in my drawers. LOL

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must be very very watch poor, never owned a watch, borrowed one once , and that day I had to work on a UHF transmitter a got a hell of shock of the Anode, New again wore any thing metal on hands. Plessey PTR377 transmitter.

That's why in electricity generation it was a standard permit to work requirement not to wear any rings, watches or jewelry.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's why in electricity generation it was a standard permit to work requirement not to wear any rings, watches or jewelry.
Or on any type of machinery.
I had a buddy years ago that was working under his car and somehow laid his wedding ring across the + terminal on the starter and the grounded housing. In an instant the ring turned cherry red and near burnt his finger off.
I also had a 2 LT in Viet Nam that was climbing up the side of a small Navy ship with the steel grids on the side. He lost his footing, the ring got hooked on something, and skinned all the meat off his finger along with the ring. That was fugly with just the bone left sticking out.
See what being married gets ya. o_O

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or on any type of machinery.
I had a buddy years ago that was working under his car and somehow laid his wedding ring across the + terminal on the starter and the grounded housing. In an instant the ring turned cherry red and near burnt his finger off.
I also had a 2 LT in Viet Nam that was climbing up the side of a small Navy ship with the steel grids on the side. He lost his footing, the ring got hooked on something, and skinned all the meat off his finger along with the ring. That was fugly with just the bone left sticking out.
See what being married gets ya. o_O
I shared these stories with the other half and she promptly shared a story of a man who was saved by his wedding ring as it blocked a bullet during a shooting. :D

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
Mine is big enough to use as a clamp washer thing in the 0'5inch plumbing system, not telling wife that shhhh. :facepalm:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always liked my clear mechanical Swatch with velcro band. Could see very gear and rocker in action for $14. Still have never worn since the '80's. Phone does all the work now.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanna say sumfin: Uze awl are all wrong about @amirm. At least, the food debaters (e.g.: hotdogs, meatballs, pigears, horsemeat and even dogfood) came closest to the answer for the original question:
202110_SecretSauce.jpg

Simply stated: He gotz da secret sauce!

Top Bottom