• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who remembers the toy Lite-Brite?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, time for a shameless plug and request:

My dad, (now 88 years old and in hospice), invented the toy Lite-Brite. Today it was named as a Finalist for the National Toy Hall of Fame! There's a voting component of the selection of the final inductees. You can vote once every day through September 16th.

Spread the word and vote for Lite-Brite!
1f604.png
1f973.png

https://www.toyhalloffame.org/players-choice-ballot

Lite-Brite.jpg

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a lite-bright and I can remember having fun with it. So I am happy to vote for it and I just did. I will try to remember to keep voting each day.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My sister had one from back in the day. It's actually stored at my house right now.

Congrats to your Dad and hope it makes it in the hall of fame. Just put in a vote.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oh man that brings back some memories. I wouldn't have even been able to dredge the name from my mind but as soon as I read it I knew.

Vote happily, and deservedly, cast.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Never had one but the neighbor kids did. A grid of colored filters lit up by a backlight - the predecessor to the LCD color display - except it had an incandescent backlight and the colors had to be arranged manually, one pixel at a time. I thought it was very exciting at the time.

JP

Major Contributor
Had one. Voted.

ElNino

Voted. Loved these as a kid. They still sell them too... my local Costco even carries them.

If Lite Brite loses out to "Sidewalk Chalk", it'll be a travesty.

Tks

Major Contributor
Good toy makers are legends. Can barely understand what the heck kids like, let alone make products for them.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good toy makers are legends. Can barely understand what the heck kids like, let alone make products for them.
That’s true. My dad said many times even after 20 years in the business they couldn’t predict which items were hits and which were duds. Plus you have to make manufacturing commitments over a year in advance. If it flops you’re stuck with the inventory; if it flies you can’t get more in time. Next year start all over.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Was moving stuff around in the basement and took a second to grab this picture. Also put in another vote today.
1600147471484.png

This one is from 1967. And yes the toy and all of its components are inside. My sister got it for Christmas when she was 5 years old assuming this was Christmas of 1967. It was either 1967 or 1968.
1600147576009.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@MediumRare your Dad didn't by any chance make the Mr. Machine toy did he? I see Marvin Glass made those. I had one and it was one of my most favorite toys. It isn't likely on any one's top 100 list, but it made me happy as a kid. What I liked was it came un-assembled with these plastic wrenches. So you got to put it all together. I don't think it was the intent, but I took it apart and put it together lots of times.

1600148219809.png

Top Bottom