• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

NineInchNail

Hi guys,

New TPA3255 by BRZ, with USB 3 input :

Hc043b1eada1f4e91af6fd38416d850adb.png

Hb9ae382469ea42b7a4069aff5fe9dc954.jpg

Haeea7a0bb28d43d4aaad3020f9789e25J.jpg
i hope it sounds better than it looks :)

neuronestanco

i ask your opinion: can aiyima a07 tpa3255 (with smsl sanskrit 10th mkii) drive a pair of kef q350 decently? what do you think?

izbit

i ask your opinion: can aiyima a07 tpa3255 (with smsl sanskrit 10th mkii) drive a pair of kef q350 decently? what do you think?
I just yesterday picked up the Aiyima A07, and a 32V 5A universal power brick. I use it to drive a pair of KEF iQ30, and it does it very well. I think you will have no problems driving the Q350 with an A07, they are only a little less sensitive than the iQ30 (87 dB vs 89 dB).

I had read that earlier versions of the A07 had popping noises when powered off/on and that it should have been fixed in later versions. Mine is well-behaved, no such issues with my unit.

I currently feed it directly with analog out from a Chromecast Audio, streaming mostly from Spotify. Haven't yet picked up a DAC or some form of audio switcher so I can hook it up to my PC also. I'll be using this setup for near-field listening at my home-office desk (it's more of a nook than a proper office). For all-day listening volumes at a little over arms-length distance, I leave the A07 volume at just below 25% (volume knob at 9 o'clock, around 13 / 60 according to the markings on the unit), and Chromecast Audio volume level set to around 13-18%.

Both with no input hooked up, or a silent Chromecast Audio connected, there's not much white noise at full crank of the volume knob. In my relatively quiet apartment at less than 1 meter away I only start to hear it a little at over 50% volume on the A07. Need to put my ear up next to the speaker to hear any white noise at lower volume settings. Full volume on the A07 with 1-2% out from Chromecast Audio also sounds good.

Due to neighbors, I can't typically play very loudly, but I've tested to crank the volume up and to my untrained ears it does a very good job.

Toku

Major Contributor
I had read that earlier versions of the A07 had popping noises when powered off/on and that it should have been fixed in later versions. Mine is well-behaved, no such issues with my unit.
This pop noise is the original model of A07, and it is an unnamed model with no model name displayed on the panel. If the model name of AIYIMA A07 is displayed on the panel, pop noise prevention is built in, so pop does not occur. However, it is difficult to distinguish because the appearance and the internal PC board are similar.
Recently, unnamed models have also incorporated pop noise protection. However, both old and new models are still in circulation on the market.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Amp prices always seem very extreme. I don't know too much about this, maybe that's just for the full sized ones.
I'm sure the components cost is very very next to nothing.
I think I read the A04 has a plastic POT and they do have a few builds of it. I wanna get some cheap stuff on the upcoming sale, so figured I can add one. Can't imagine it would cost more than $2? I have no idea what would fit though. Not done any research. Finding something on that site can be quite a challenge.
The Aiyima a04 has a metal knob but only on the surface - the rest is made of plastic. I replaced the knobs on my two Aiyima a04 with a solid metal knob, weighting about 5 times as much as the original knob.
C25A47C5-7C8F-4BD1-98B2-AEB58025A57A.jpeg

Read more in this thread:
https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70688

Attachments

• 1E0144F2-6864-4681-95C0-DFE24B2B02B9.jpeg
    1E0144F2-6864-4681-95C0-DFE24B2B02B9.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 407
  • 02604397-65D6-43AD-846D-A98016EED55D.jpeg
    02604397-65D6-43AD-846D-A98016EED55D.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

izbit

This pop noise is the original model of A07, and it is an unnamed model with no model name displayed on the panel. If the model name of AIYIMA A07 is displayed on the panel, pop noise prevention is built in, so pop does not occur. However, it is difficult to distinguish because the appearance and the internal PC board are similar.
Recently, unnamed models have also incorporated pop noise protection. However, both old and new models are still in circulation on the market.
That is good information! Seems like it can be a bit of a gamble.

I took the gamble and was happy to receive a new model. It also shows "AIYIMA A07" on the front, top left corner. Bought from Amazon.co.jp for 6,399 yen. The listing said it did not include a power adapter, but it came with one in the box anyway. I had bought the exact same adapter separately, so I return it.

The Amazon listing also says both the RCA and AUX 3.5mm ports are inputs, but the manual in the box says it's an output to daisy-chain the connection. I haven't opened it up but I assume that the 3.5mm and RCA inputs are electrically linked without any protection/resistance between them, so they would both work equally well as inputs but both shouldn't be used as inputs at the same time.

DuncanTodd

The Aiyima a04 has a metal knob but only on the surface - the rest is made of plastic. I replaced the knobs on my two Aiyima a04 with a solid metal knob, weighting about 5 times as much as the original knob.
Read more in this thread:
https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70688
Thanks Tangband.
Can you share a link to the one you bought?
I was going to pick one up on the AliExpress sale just in case, but couldn't quite decide which one and other said it's Alu. I'll wait till it arrives and see if I still feel it's even needed.
I have read through that thread you linked to with google translate, which is where I saw it mentioned. It's too long by now to find the actual post about it.

will.b

Forum Donor
I recently bought the TPA3255 amp from Audiophonics:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...4693.html?search_query=tpa3255&fast_search=fs
(plus, a 48V DC 7.3A adapter)

I’m feeding it with my minidsp DDRC-24 to drive a pair of ELAC DBR-62’s.
I’ve also “upgraded” the OP Amps with, currently, a pair of “OPA1656” and before “LM4562 NA”.
I can’t really tell any difference between them. They all do well, including the original “NE5532P”.

I have it all set up with a couple powered JBL subs for a 2.2 system and I must say I’m really impressed with the sound that’s produced. There is some hiss produced but it completely disappears from about a foot away and that’s with the volume set to max on the amp. Also there are no popping noises when switching the amp on or off.

I did have in mind to get a Hypex based amp for my setup, but I think I will pass as I wasn’t quite expecting such performance from this small box.

Just out of my own interest I am going to build a TPA3255 amp, based on a DIY board that @daniboun promoted recently from drMordor.

I would really like to see one of these well executed amps get the ASR treatment.

Last edited:

DuncanTodd

I recently bought the TPA3255 amp from Audiophonics:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...4693.html?search_query=tpa3255&fast_search=fs
(plus, a 48V DC 7.3A adapter)

I’m feeding it with my minidsp DDRC-24 to drive a pair of ELAC DBR-62’s.
I’ve also “upgraded” the OP Amps with, currently, a pair of “OPA1656” and before “LM4562 NA”.
I can’t really tell any difference between them. They all do well, including the original “NE5532P”.

I have it all set up with a couple powered JBL subs for a 2.2 system and I must say I’m really impressed with the sound that’s produced. There is some hiss produced but it completely disappears from about a foot away and that’s with the volume set to max on the amp. Also there are no popping noises when switching the amp on or off.

I did have in mind to get a Hypex based amp for my setup, but I think I will pass as I wasn’t quite expecting such performance from this small box.

Just out of my own interest I am going to build a TPA3255 amp, based on a DIY board that @daniboun promoted recently from drMordor.

I would really like to see one of these well executed amps get the ASR treatment.
The one in your link seems like an "unbranded" version of the Aiyamas mentioned here. I guess several these share the same design.
Yeah, be nice to see a review of one. They are under $50 on Amazon, maybe someone will pick up the glove :)

Paulmac

I have to say the Ayima amps (04, 07) are great. I have had icepower modules, and they are quite expensive. At the moment I am using an Ayima 04, and am waiting for the 3eaudio TPA3255 to arrive. I think anyone can buy the Chinese implementation of the TI TPA3255 according to what they want to spend and how much work they want to do (building a case) and not regret it. They are superb amps, especially for the money. However, when my brother, who is an accomplished guitarist, visited, and plugged his electric guitar into the amp I had at the time, an SMSL AD18, playing through Mission Mx1s, he was quite staggered. He reckoned it sounded like he was in a studio. I sent him over an Ayima 07 but he hasnt let on what he thinks yet. He did not like the icepower module based I had at the time, pretty ordinary he reckoned. horses for courses. but he should know.

Ralferator

I have to say the Ayima amps (04, 07) are great. I have had icepower modules, and they are quite expensive. At the moment I am using an Ayima 04, and am waiting for the 3eaudio TPA3255 to arrive. I think anyone can buy the Chinese implementation of the TI TPA3255 according to what they want to spend and how much work they want to do (building a case) and not regret it. They are superb amps, especially for the money. However, when my brother, who is an accomplished guitarist, visited, and plugged his electric guitar into the amp I had at the time, an SMSL AD18, playing through Mission Mx1s, he was quite staggered. He reckoned it sounded like he was in a studio. I sent him over an Ayima 07 but he hasnt let on what he thinks yet. He did not like the icepower module based I had at the time, pretty ordinary he reckoned. horses for courses. but he should know.

Maybe the SMSL AD18 ads some "magical" tube-like distortion?

robertospeed

We do not sell original chips, we provide A04 and A07 to replace LM4562 OP Chip.
I recently bought another aiyima a07 from aliexpress, and it has yet to arrive, in the other aiyima I use the opa2604 chip that you recommended.
But is LM4562 chip better and sounds better than opa2604? I would like to try it, can you contact me on aliexpress and send me the link of the LM4562 and advise me better? my name is Rosario Roberto Sanfilippo

DuncanTodd

I recently bought another aiyima a07 from aliexpress, and it has yet to arrive, in the other aiyima I use the opa2604 chip that you recommended.
But is LM4562 chip better and sounds better than opa2604? I would like to try it, can you contact me on aliexpress and send me the link of the LM4562 and advise me better? my name is Rosario Roberto Sanfilippo
They recommended the LM not the OPA iirc.
Personally, I don't trust any subjective sighted impressions on changes to actual sound differences between op amps. Blind A/B test or dry performance measurements only.
I know at least one guy who switched from shipped chip to LM and can't tell the difference.

Last edited:

robertospeed

They recommended the LM not the OPA iirc.
Personally, I don't trust any subjective sighted impressions on changes to actual sound differences between op amps. Blind A/B test or dry performance measurements only.
I know at least one guy who switched from shipped chip to LM and can't tell the difference.
ok thank you

DuncanTodd

ok thank you
It would probably be a better choice for you to buy the LM from a place that sells verified original chips and not some random seller on AliExpress. From what people say, there are a lot of knockoffs there.

Here's what they said:
We have tried to change the chip to OPA2134PA and LM4562NA on A07, the sound improved a lot, especially when LM4562NA is used.

It is recommended to use LM4562, which has a wide operating voltage range and ultra-low distortion.
LM4562 is a high-fidelity dual op amp introduced by National Semiconductor Corporation in recent years. Its distortion is very small, with only 0.00003% total harmonic distortion and noise (THD+N). In other words, the distortion of this op amp is almost negligible.
The LM4562 chip has the advantages of extremely low distortion rate, low noise, high conversion rate, wide operating voltage range and larger output current, and its performance is unprecedented. Because this operational amplifier has these advantages, it is suitable for professional and high-end audio systems, such as audio-visual system receivers, pre-amplifiers, audio decoders and high-fidelity power amplifiers, as well as various medical imaging systems and industrial equipment.
The design of the LM4562 chip is very unique, not only a built-in high-speed 6MHz unity gain bandwidth operational amplifier, but also a proprietary stereo audio driver amplifier. Under standard working conditions, the input noise density of this operational amplifier is as low as 2.7nV/√Hz, the noise corner of the intermediate frequency is up to 60Hz, the output current is up to 26mA, and it can drive a load of 600Ω. The conversion rate of the LM4562 chip is up to 20V/μs, and the gain bandwidth product is up to 55MHz.
The LM4562 chip can maintain stable operation within a supply voltage range of ±2.5V to ±17V, with a maximum output current of up to 45mA. When the chip is operated within the above-mentioned supply voltage range, the common mode rejection ratio (CMRR) and power supply rejection ratio (PSRR) of the input circuit are both as high as 108dB or more, and the input bias current is as low as 10μA (typical value).

Top Bottom