• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which is the most reasonable audio interface for room correction (KH 150, MA 1)?

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Berlin the Focusrite Solo or RØDE AI-1 is all that you really need. Both have XLR Mic input with 48V Phantom Power and 2x Differential outputs.
You cannot do loopback with a Solo.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can't beat that for under €50:

no differential outputs, which the MA1 Manual specifically lists as a hardware equirement:
Screenshot_20230702-122911_Drive.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
OP
Berlin

Berlin

@Berlin if the Scarlett Solo is still a bit expensive for you at 120€, since you just need it for calibration, then here are some less expensive alternatives:
-Swissonic Audio 1 (54€)
-M-Audio M-Track DUO (55€)
-Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 (58€)
-Miditech Audiolink III (59€)
-Swissonic Audio 2 (64€)

I can't comment on their quality, but they all have Differential output, Phantom Power, and Direct Monitoring.
Thank you! No it is not about the price. As I mentioned, I have no experiences with audio interfaces so far. If the Scarlett Solo is of better quality than the Rode A1 and the other products in your list, I wouldn't mind to get the Solo. Maybe in the future I am going to use it for some recordings. I always wanted to try this...;)

OP
Berlin

Berlin

I thought that the Rode A1 is a good choice since it is USB powered (if I understand correctly). So there is just one cable to my Mac, one the MA1 and the cables to the monitors...

P.S.
OK, there are still the ethernet cables and the switch...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I would just need an audio interface for measurements with the Neumann MA 1. I think the Rode A1 should be sufficient for this purpose....
Yes. Any cheap audio interface with phantom power does the job. High SINAD is not required just a somewhat linear FR.

quattro98

Forum Donor
What is a good affordable USB audio interface for calibrating a system from a Mac with the Neumann KH 120 II (x2) & a single KH 750? This would require 2 in & >= 3 out.

unpluggged

This would require 2 in & >= 3 out.
Wrong. Please refer to the MA 1 manual. You can use basically any 2-channel interface you can afford.

quattro98

Forum Donor
Wrong. Please refer to the MA 1 manual. You can use basically any 2-channel interface you can afford.
That’s good to know. I was going off of this:

• Audio output channels equal to or greater than the number of network-enabled loudspeakers and subwoofers used in the monitoring system. Outputs may be balanced analog, S/PDIF (KH 120 II or KH 150 loudspeakers only), or AES3 (KH 750 subwoofer only).

unpluggged

That’s good to know. I was going off of this:

• Audio output channels equal to or greater than the number of network-enabled loudspeakers and subwoofers used in the monitoring system. Outputs may be balanced analog, S/PDIF (KH 120 II or KH 150 loudspeakers only), or AES3 (KH 750 subwoofer only).
In your case, you need only two output channels and a single microphone input channel on your interface for the MA 1:

1701011541599.png

quattro98

Forum Donor
This might be a silly question, but does the microphone input and output to the speakers have to be done via the same interface for the calibration process? I.e., Can I use one of the interfaces mentioned just for microphone and a SMSL PO100 Pro to provide USB to digital output to the KH750/KH 120 II? I suspect this is not possible as the Neumann manual says "The MA 1 software only supports interfaces that are configured for both input and output."

If this is not possible, can I calibrate with the speakers/sub connected via a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and then change them to the SMSL PO100 PRO (this would also allow me to drive my Grace m900 via Toslink and the Neumann via the coaxial).

Alternatively, is there a similar interface to the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Rode AI-1 that also provides a digital output (preferably both coaxial and optical) to drive the Neumann speakers and Grace m900 without the SMSL PO100 Pro?

Last edited:

Gugu

So i currently have a RME Adi-2 Dac FS which i use with my headphones. If i wanted to use some Neumann speakers (80s, 120s) with it, i would still need a Focusrite (or cheaper option) to calibrate the speakers? Can i plug the speakers back into the RME after finishing calibration? Thank you

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So i currently have a RME Adi-2 Dac FS which i use with my headphones. If i wanted to use some Neumann speakers (80s, 120s) with it, i would still need a Focusrite (or cheaper option) to calibrate the speakers?
Yes, and a microphone, but if you lack both go for the Umik-1 or -2 (calibrated USB microphone for measurements) instead.
Can i plug the speakers back into the RME after finishing calibration? Thank you
Yes.

Top Bottom