• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which is the most reasonable audio interface for room correction (KH 150, MA 1)?

Berlin

Neumann doesn't make room correction with MA 1 easy... So I am looking for an audio interface that comprises a balanced analog input with 48 V phantom power and 2 balanced analog outputs at a reasonable price. I found the Rode A1. Does it make any sense? It seems that there are no reasonable RME alternatives. Thanks in advance...

Edit: I just saw that the Rode does not make sense...

unpluggged

I just saw that the Rode does not make sense...
Why not? It's not any worse that any other interface in its class, definitely not for using it as a measurement mic interface.

It seems that there are no reasonable RME alternatives
What do you mean? Any RME interface, starting with the BabyFace Pro FS, is up to the task. And they also offer volume-controlled digital outputs, which is a very useful feature.

OP
Berlin

Berlin

Why not? It's not any worse that any other interface in its class, definitely not for using it as a measurement mic interface.

What do you mean? Any RME interface, starting with the BabyFace Pro FS, is up to the task. And they also offer volume-controlled digital outputs, which is a very useful feature.
I currently need the interface just for room correction. The BabyFace Pro F5 is quite expensive for this purpose...

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: I just saw that the Rode does not make sense...
Why not? There is also the Focusrite Solo. If you use it only for the alignment, any interface with 48v input should be ok?

unpluggged

I currently need the interface just for room correction. The BabyFace Pro F5 is quite expensive for this purpose...
I see. Well, my first point stands: I see no reason why you can't use the Rode AI-1, and it's not obvious why you dismiss it. It had been measured both here by Amir and by Julian Krause, I believe, and it looks like it's a very adequate interface if you need just to connect a microphone and a pair of speakers. But if you don't like it for some reason, there are many alternatives like Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen, the MOTU M2, and budget models from Steinberg, Audient, Presonus, or even Behringer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
We’ve also not heard a valid reason to dismiss Neumann MA1, for that matter..
I don't think OP is dismissing the MA1 and the room correction solution built into the KH150. He's just looking for a suitable interface to make it all work:
Screenshot_20230702-122911_Drive.png Screenshot_20230702-122951_Drive.png

I think it was originally LTig's misunderstanding that OP wants to replace the built-in room correction with a DSP interface.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Berlin both the AI-1 and Solo 3rd gen use 1/4" TRS differential outputs. They carry the same signal as XLR, so you can convert from one to the other.
You can buy 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to connect the interfaces to your KH150 monitors.

OP
Berlin

Berlin

@Berlin both the AI-1 and Solo 3rd gen use 1/4" TRS differential outputs. They carry the same signal as XLR, so you can convert from one to the other.
You can buy 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to connect the interfaces to your KH150 monitors.
Thank you very much!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think OP is dismissing the MA1 and the room correction solution built into the KH150. He's just looking for a suitable interface to make it all work:
View attachment 296262 View attachment 296261

I think it was originally LTig's misunderstanding that OP wants to replace the built-in room correction with a DSP interface.
Ah! I stand corrected :)

In that case, the A1 will probably be one of the cheapest solutions.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Just make sure to buy a cable with a stereo jack (=TRS, two black rings visible), not mono (=TS one black ring), to use the benefits of a symmetrical connection.
Just adding because it may seem contraintuitive to buy 2x "stereo".

1688300524225.png
1688300327764.png

Trell

Major Contributor
I’ve an RODE AI-1 that starts to distort heavily on mains out when volume knob is around 70%-80% or so. I’d avoid that audio interface.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I’ve an RODE AI-1 that starts to distort heavily on mains out when volume knob is around 70%-80% or so. I’d avoid that audio interface.
Yeah, for some reason the AI-1 has super wimpy line-outs (spec says something like -5 dBu max) - in return, the headphone output is actually quite powerful. Not the most balanced package you'll ever find, that's for sure.

Makes you wonder whether they designed the thing with rather hot nearfields in mind, e.g. Genelec 8010A/8020A. Still, not even 0 dBu? That normally is the domain of sub-$100 cheapies.

OP
Berlin

Berlin

Yes the Solo works.

As for the Rode A1 I am skeptical. The MA1 software asks for the MA1mic serial number. As far as I know for two reasons a) to unlock the correction software and b) to apply the mic calibration file. There might be a work around with fake serial numbers but you have to jump through a lot of hoops plus you never get a Rode calibration file. Yes you can create one, but again a lot of effort and many opportunities to screw it up.

So if you spent already a few k on speakers why not spent the 200 bucks on the MA1 mic and get it right from the get go. Well to each its own.
The Rode A1 is an audio interface that is required to connect the MA1 mic...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
The Rode A1 is an audio interface that is required to connect the MA1 mic...
Sorry stupid me. I confused it with the Rode NT1 A microphone. Again sorry. I will delete my post in order not to confuse more.

OP
Berlin

Berlin

Yeah, for some reason the AI-1 has super wimpy line-outs (spec says something like -5 dBu max) - in return, the headphone output is actually quite powerful. Not the most balanced package you'll ever find, that's for sure.

Makes you wonder whether they designed the thing with rather hot nearfields in mind, e.g. Genelec 8010A/8020A. Still, not even 0 dBu? That normally is the domain of sub-$100 cheapies.
I would just need an audio interface for measurements with the Neumann MA 1. I think the Rode A1 should be sufficient for this purpose....

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can't beat that for under €50:

Top Bottom