• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which integrated amplifier headphone jack style is the best? Resistor vs seperate circuit?

NewbieAudiophileExpert

When it comes to integrated amps and their accompanying headphone amplifiers, which style do you think is the best?

Resistor from main speaker output, or when there is a seperate circuit and amplifier powering the headphone jack?

The reason that I ask is that I have a yamaha A-S501 which uses the resistor-style headphone jack and it doesn't sound bad at all...

What's your opinion?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends entirely on the resistor value and the headphone impedance.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Go on....

My headphones are the HD 560S from Sennheiser
I don't know their impedance. Nor the resistor value. Basically, the resistor value should be less than 1/10 of the nominal headphone impedance (just a rule of thumb) to prevent the impedance variations being important.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't know their impedance. Nor the resistor value. Basically, the resistor value should be less than 1/10 of the nominal headphone impedance (just a rule of thumb) to prevent the impedance variations being important.

That's never going to happen in an amplifier to HP situation. The goal is to limit the available swing from the power amplifier stage to the headphones and not burn them out. Sensible.

And FR response variations are really only an issue if the headphones have a wild impedance curve themselves.

Yamaha uses 470R 1W resistors in series for the headphone jacks in the A-Sxxx series.

1693866541169.png

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

That's never going to happen in an amplifier to HP situation. The goal is to limit the available swing from the power amplifier stage to the headphones and not burn them out. Sensible.

And FR response variations are really only an issue if the headphones have a wild impedance curve themselves.

Yamaha uses 470R 1W resistors in series for the headphone jacks in the A-Sxxx series.

View attachment 309775
Is this superior or inferior to having a seperate circuit that amplifies the preamp signal? Pretty sure my Cambridge audio azur has a seperate circuit

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Is this superior or inferior to having a seperate circuit that amplifies the preamp signal? Pretty sure my Cambridge audio azur has a seperate circuit

Generally inferior, but not always.

A dedicated headphone stage can be configured to have a virtually zero output impedance and if excellent in other areas, (noise, available swing, distortion, repsone etc), it should be a better option than direct amplifier output via resistors.

And it depends on the headphones. Most traditional headphones are designed to be driven from a source of around 50-600R. Super low driving impedances actually can result in poorer bass response, expecially with larger diameter, dynamic headphones.

IEMs and low impedance designs will benefit from a dedicated, active HP stage.

If you H/P jack sounds good to you, and you're happy with it- use it. You have full control via remote, you're not wasting money on another box and it cost you nothing.

Top Bottom