• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which gauge?

Doobrey

I have the Wharfedale diamond 12.4 speakers and Arcam SA20 amplifier

Speakers 8-4ohm / 88db sensitivity
Amp 90watts 8ohm / 150watts 4ohm

For a 4 meter length pair of cables would 14awg be enough or do I need 12awg? I wouldn’t want to “restrict” the sound.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
14awg will be plenty adequate, probably overkill.

GaryY

Forum Donor
This is from speaker manual.
Screenshot_20240211_025426_Samsung Notes.jpg

OP
Doobrey

Doobrey

While we’re on the subject of conductor size, how does biwire add up in awg for example 2x runs of 14 to one speaker would equal?

Ignoring wether is pointless or not I’m just interested how it would work out.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While we’re on the subject of conductor size, how does biwire add up in awg for example 2x runs of 14 to one speaker would equal?

Ignoring wether is pointless or not I’m just interested how it would work out.
If you run them to the same speaker it is equivalent to 11. If you split it to tweeter and woofer then it is more complicated.

OP
Doobrey

Doobrey

Yeah I meant like 2 ends connected to the amplifier and then split to 4 at the speaker terminals

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I meant like 2 ends connected to the amplifier and then split to 4 at the speaker terminals
For the most part same as if you had one 14 awg cable. Total current flow will be less per run, but the change in impedence with frequency will hardly change. Bi-wiring like that is a dumb idea with a basis in misperception. The idea one type of cable sounds different on woofers than it does on tweeters. Now bi-wiring with separate amps might have benefits though usually these days a good enough amp and one cable big enough is good enough.

AudiOhm

Top Bottom