• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which class D amp ?

sentinelaeon

Hello,

I am looking to replace my pioneer A-307R stereo amplifier. I like everything about it except that in the summer its like a furnace on my desk, its using about as much electricity as my pc. I would like something that is energy efficient when idling since i have the amp turned on 24/7 and dont plan to change that.

This pioneer amp is really nothing special so i dont need the new one to be either. I will run 30/50W speakers at 4 ohms on it, i never blast music due to neighbours. It would be great if there would be volume knob and at least bass knob, so during night i have an option to turn the bass down. Headphones plug is a plus. I dont need bluetooth. Budget is 50-100$, about as much as i will get for selling the pioneer.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your budget is rather limiting for a featured new amplifier.

You may wish to look at this if it’s a desktop amp you need:

@amirm measure it with good results.

MCH

Major Contributor
I got a Volt +D (the next model to the Volt+) last winter for less than 100eur used and i am super happy with it soundwise. However you need to know:
- does not have headphone amp
- does not have any tone control
- the step atenuator is a bit hard to dial, if you change volume often and you aren't used to stepped knobs chances are you don't like it
- has two red leds inside that aren't very bright, but are there at night and might bother some
- the acrylic case, besides not being for every taste, is very very weak and cracks easily (and i would say inevitably in the long term

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JSmith

Master Contributor
Budget is 50-100$
Sure you can't go a bit over? ;)

JSmith

SaltyCDogg

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'd look for a used Emotiva BasX A-100. Great for headphones from what I hear and plenty of power for your speaker needs. Discontinued, but you can still find them around.

OP
S

sentinelaeon

Ok lets ignore the headphone for now, its really not important and there are other ways to get that, via pc case, etc.

S.M.S.L A12 really looks nice, its small enough and has what i need. Only thing bothering me is the wierd inputs/outputs. Right now sound coming from my DAC comes in form of 3.5mm, which is then split into 2 chinch cables. And the speakers are bare wires.

steve59

Major Contributor

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok lets ignore the headphone for now, its really not important and there are other ways to get that, via pc case, etc.

S.M.S.L A12 really looks nice, its small enough and has what i need. Only thing bothering me is the wierd inputs/outputs. Right now sound coming from my DAC comes in form of 3.5mm, which is then split into 2 chinch cables. And the speakers are bare wires.

Nothing weird about them. About as standard as it gets. It is easy to find 3.5mm to RCA adapters, although from looking at the back panel photo, it may actually have a 3.5mm input. The speaker terminals will accept bare wires--you just place them under the screws and tighten them down.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you see about the connectivity on the A12 where you couldn't use your current cable adapter (assume yours is a 3.5mm to dual rca) or bare wire speaker wire (or even add banana plugs).....looks like a nice little amp.

Top Bottom