• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where to buy plate amps for subwoofers (Canada)

H-RYCAJ

Looking to get into DIY subwoofer builds. Where can I find plate amps in Canada? Not looking to get hit by customs and duties with the increased strength of the USD.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Looking to get into DIY subwoofer builds. Where can I find plate amps in Canada? Not looking to get hit by customs and duties with the increased strength of the USD.
Check out Neurochrome, they are in Canada. It might involve some DIY, but maybe Tom helps you out or has a better idea.

kiwifi

Consider using an external amp rather than a plate amp. The inside of a speaker cabinet is not the ideal environment for electronics. Keeping the amp external allows you to change it easily. You also don't need to compromise the structure of the cabinet with a large hole for the amp, just a single Speakon socket.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Consider using an external amp rather than a plate amp. The inside of a speaker cabinet is not the ideal environment for electronics. Keeping the amp external allows you to change it easily. You also don't need to compromise the structure of the cabinet with a large hole for the amp, just a single Speakon socket.
I have a Denon x3500H I am trying to limit the number of External boxes as I am already using power amps for the Fronts. Dac, mini dsp, power amps, receiver, RPI. The wife will be mad about another box unless it's a shoebox.

kiwifi

I have a Denon x3500H I am trying to limit the number of External boxes as I am already using power amps for the Fronts. Dac, mini dsp, power amps, receiver, RPI. The wife will be mad about another box unless it's a shoebox.
You can always situate the amp atop the sub in a small matching box - even if you go with the plate amp. When a plate amp fails on a sub it can be hard to find a replacement that exactly fits the existing opening. If it's not built into the sub's cabinet, that is no longer a problem.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or just put the amp behind the sub out of sight (or even attached to the box I suppose) but also prefer using a pro amp rather than a plate amp on my diy subs, plus makes the build a bit simpler. As far as plate amps IIRC parts-express.com or dayton have some canadian options these days.

kiwifi

The last time I bought a plate amplifier it was from here

Sokel

Master Contributor
Just get one of the Ice Power range (the ones with PS) and configure it as you like.
I have tested 1200as2 with a (horrible) old sub and I reached its limits for fun,to the point I could make it explode.
Check the range and specs.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Check out Neurochrome, they are in Canada. It might involve some DIY, but maybe Tom helps you out or has a better idea.
Thanks for the reply, might be a bit more work than I was looking to do. Might be easier to make an ice amp. given ghent makes a case.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Initially, I hated the idea as I wanted less clutter. Since doing a bit of research, it seems that a crown xls 1502 could power two subs 4ohm load at 525W. It also has built-in DSP setting up the high pass, and low pass filters seems like a breeze. My only concern is I primarily listen to music and am slightly worried about audible hum or boomy bass with distortion.

Currently, the crown amp is 769 Canadian dollars with tax it's 868 all in. Have not been able to find anything better for the price range. Given that building, the subs will take a bit of time I could run the amp initially in bridged mode giving me 1000+ watts. Most of which I will not be able to use as the drivers im getting are rated at ~600w.

I browsed hypex and ice amp It seems if I go the DIY route, I would be well over 800$ with no DSP or controls, Crown amp also has XLR or RCA Inputs.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Or just put the amp behind the sub out of sight (or even attached to the box I suppose) but also prefer using a pro amp rather than a plate amp on my diy subs, plus makes the build a bit simpler. As far as plate amps IIRC parts-express.com or dayton have some canadian options these days.
Parts express shipping is killer to Canada. I believe solen.ca is the only company that has its amps and drivers. Pricing is on par give or take.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Hello , you can get the subwoofer amplifer from here
Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking to get ~400W . Need more power than this amp would provide. Building sealed enclosures and creating a few filters to extend the frequency, need more power.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Just get one of the Ice Power range (the ones with PS) and configure it as you like.
I have tested 1200as2 with a (horrible) old sub and I reached its limits for fun,to the point I could make it explode.
Originally was going that route. The only issue is no volume control, would be difficult to adjust the volume independently. Would have to buy some separate plus build the amps. I then saw I could get everything plus more out of a crown xls 1502. 525W into two 4Ohm loads. with build in dsp. I have yet to find anything to beat the price point/ value proposition. Not to mention 6 year warranty.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Originally was going that route. The only issue is no volume control, would be difficult to adjust the volume independently. Would have to buy some separate plus build the amps. I then saw I could get everything plus more out of a crown xls 1502. 525W into two 4Ohm loads. with build in dsp. I have yet to find anything to beat the price point/ value proposition. Not to mention 6 year warranty.
Keep in mind the dsp is fairly much limited to a crossover, not eq or able to do protective high pass filters down low.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Keep in mind the dsp is fairly much limited to a crossover, not eq or able to do protective high pass filters down low.
Ah, I see, I have a mini DSP as well, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

How would I volume match or even lower/increase volume going this route? I can grab the module and case from Ghent. But I have never seen a volume pot.

Sokel

Master Contributor
How would I volume match or even lower/increase volume going this route? I can grab the module and case from Ghent. But I have never seen a volume pot.
All this modules (by any brand) are power amps,you will need a pre or dac with volume control to use them.
Preferably balanced so you use them in their full potential.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

All this modules (by any brand) are power amps,you will need a pre or dac with volume control to use them.
Preferably balanced so you use them in their full potential.
Im using a denon x3500 as a 2.2 stystem. Using one sub out connected to a minidsp HD. I could use the minidsp HD to limit volume couldn't I>?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Im using a denon x3500 as a 2.2 stystem. Using one sub out connected to a minidsp HD. I could use the minidsp HD to limit volume couldn't I>?
That's what Minisdp is originally for ;)

Top Bottom