• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When using GLM, is there much of a difference in sonic quality between the Genelec 83x1 and 83x0 to justify the (over) doubling in price?

Diplo

I’m looking to switch over to Genelec for a plethora of reasons - sound and build quality, their variety of accessories, GLM (to avoid the latency of Sonarworks) and its seamless expansion for an atmos setup, etc…

The 8341/8351 w/sub seems like a pretty endgame setup, but I wondered if they are that much different from the 83x0 speakers when using GLM.

The coaxial design is obviously more favourable, but for anyone that has heard both, is the extensive price difference justified?

Thanks

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both are very, very good speakers and way up there in diminishing returns. I think the 8351 is somewhat better, having demoed both and got 8350.

So, it's the usual: if you need to sell your kidney to get 8351 it's not worth it. If the price difference is lunch money to you, well, just get the better one.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Both are very, very good speakers and way up there in diminishing returns. I think the 8351 is somewhat better, having demoed both and got 8350.

So, it's the usual: if you need to sell your kidney to get 8351 it's not worth it. If the price difference is lunch money to you, well, just get the better one.
In what way 8351 was better ?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In what way 8351 was better ?
I got the feeling that was more refined in a way. Less rough edes so to say, I guess somebody would say it was more boring? Same thing with stereo image, smoother, more realistic.

The demo room was not so good though. I was standing, room full of speakers and equipment. Basically never mind the details, it was still clear as day to me that I'm not going to pay double for them. Maybe I was also biased because of insufficient budget. :)

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I were buying these for my livelihood, it’d be the Ones. If it’s for a hobby/personal use then the 83x0 series is very likely sufficient. When it’s not too much of a stretch I’ve never regretted buying quality items though.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the 83X0 speakers vs. the 83X1 speakers isn't that big. But having more/better subs is. So, I would factor that into any decision/opinion. In other words, getting the 8340 plus the 7360 sub (or 2x 7350) could reasonably be considered "better" than the 8341 alone. Both are approximately $6,000. Maybe "better" isn't the right word but hopefully you get my point.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's
I think the 83X0 speakers vs. the 83X1 speakers isn't that big. But having more/better subs is. So, I would factor that into any decision/opinion. In other words, getting the 8340 plus the 7360 sub (or 2x 7350) could reasonably be considered "better" than the 8341 alone. Both are approximately $6,000. Maybe "better" isn't the right word but hopefully you get my point.
It's surprising the difference isn't bigger considering 2-way vs 3-way, traditional vs coaxial
also better amps /dacs/drivers

Trell

Major Contributor
I was thinking similar when buying monitors for my desktop setup. I would need a subwoofer to get a more even bass and deeper bass as well.

For the price of a pair of Genelec 8331A I got: a pair of 8330A, a pair of Genelec L-stands, the GLM Kit, cables and the 7360A subwoofer.

It would have been nice with a pair of 8331A but that would for me be too expensive.

spamilton

The 83X1 imaging is better, having compared both, but I wasn't a fan of the GLM correction. It sounds the best to me with no correction, though I do have the treble at -2dB.

Top Bottom