• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Your Favorite Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My Power cords are monsters, very inflexible but
short so I can deal with it.
View attachment 100254

I'd never use that power cord.

Inflexible and short sounds like a PITA.

I like my hospital-grade IEC power cords.

They're flexible, sturdy, and have ultra firm connections because of the medical plugs.

Last edited:
OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

I'd never use that power cord.

Inflexible and short sounds like a PITA.

I like my hospital-grade IEC power cords.

They're flexible, sturdy, and havee ultra firm connections because of the medical plugs.

618uRjaXs2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

They are a PIA, they kind of coil like a snake but the plus side is they are 20 years old and will likely last another 20 NP.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the categories?

I've had excellent results with this USB cable from Lightspeed ($1999).

1608387389352.png

The lifters shown in the image come at an additional cost from the company, but I've found they make a subtle but noticeable difference.

This is of course for connecting my dot matrix printer to my PC:

1608387574425.png

You might ask why I'm using a dot matrix in the first place. Well, I find that it generates smoother, more analogue-like print-outs than the various (very expensive in fact) inkjets and laser that I've had through the system.

With the Lightspeed cable feeding the printer via a USB to printer port adapter, I feel that my print-outs have all the resolution and detail of a high-dpi modern laser, but with the warmth and richness that only dot-matrix printing can provide. And ofc, the print-outs are completely free of "laser glare".

The only remaining bottleneck in this setup is the USB-printer port converter cable, which is necessary given my PC doesn't have a printer out. I've experimented with a number of adapters purchased off AliExpress, and the differences in print quality are actually quite significant. The best I've found so far is this one, although it won't ship directly to Europe. If you want details of the freight forwarding service I used from Japan, send me a PM.

1608388075719.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They are a PIA, they kind of coil like a snake but the plus side is they are 20 years old and will likely last another 20 NP.

Personally I just wouldn't bother if they're a PiA.

Power cords are cheap -- $20 to get a good one that is more suitable.

Small price to pay if it's less troublesome.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Monoprice and Bluejeans seem to be a popular "value" brand.
Signal Cable and Mogami are a little more $ but still more budget oriented.

I'm disappointed in my Monoprice XLRs.

The connectors aren't as good as real Neutriks, the cable is also overly stiff, which means the connector is stressed.

Even cheapo Seismic Audio snake cables were better.

I tossed my Monoprice XLR cables in the spare parts box.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What are the categories?

I've had excellent results with this USB cable from Lightspeed ($1999).

View attachment 100255

The lifters shown in the image come at an additional cost from the company, but I've found they make a subtle but noticeable difference.

This is of course for connecting my dot matrix printer to my PC:

View attachment 100256

You might ask why I'm using a dot matrix in the first place. Well, I find that it generates smoother, more analogue-like print-outs than the various (very expensive in fact) inkjets and laser that I've had through the system.

With the Lightspeed cable feeding the printer via a USB to printer port adapter, I feel that my print-outs have all the resolution and detail of a high-dpi modern laser, but with the warmth and richness that only dot-matrix printing can provide. And ofc, the print-outs are completely free of "laser glare".

The only remaining bottleneck in this setup is the USB-printer port converter cable, which is necessary given my PC doesn't have a printer out. I've experimented with a number of adapters purchased off AliExpress, and the differences in print quality are actually quite significant. The best I've found so far is this one, although it won't ship directly to Europe. If you want details of the freight forwarding service I used from Japan, send me a PM.

View attachment 100257

Have you tried recharging your printer cables to see if it improves the DPI?

Or sticking them in a tree?

Tsuchi

I love my Mogamis. I had a 20 ft long Mogami XLR that was cut in half by accident, I took it to Guitar Center and they gave me a replacement on the spot, no questions asked because of the Mogami lifetime guarantee. I didn't even need to bring in a receipt.

That and Mogami quality, durability, RFI/EMI rejection are very good. I understand others arguments about Amazon Basics or the like being the best bang for the buck. It's true. But at the end of the day I don't want to replace XLR cables every few years. I have to run them through some tight turns at the termination points which tend to be a weak area. The Amazon Basics shielding also sucks.

pma

Major Contributor
This is the setup to test link SE cables shield inductance and resistance

cable_test+sch.png

and this is the real cable measurement. Differences are huge.
coax_VBPAM_test.png

Anyone with funny comments? ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Of course. I've read that so often it must be true.

I hope you have appropriate vibration isolation for your printer and...well...for everything, otherwise you're missing that last few percent. At least until the next cable breakthrough, then you are SOL and start over.

Keep at it, you're almost there Sisyphus.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a recovering audiophile who once believed in the magical properties of high end cables. ASR opened my eyes.

Analog Interconnects: Liberty Cable Z500 RCA and XLR (purchased on close-out several years ago for literally pennies on the dollar)
Power Cables: Tripp-Lite 14 AWG
Digital IC: Zap Cables USB
Speaker Cables: Neotech 16 AWG solid core hookup wire
HDMI: Belkin UltraHD

Martin

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
I love the smell of burning solder in the morning.

My guess is that the alchemists of old were getting high off the fumes.

If you're gonna roll your own, Canare is great stuff.

Got these from Amazon for $22.00, works for me:

51PPIo6nVZL._AC_US1000_.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Reactions: pma
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom