• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the speaker of your dreams?

mac

Forum Donor
I'm living the dream.

Volumio.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Very long time ago fave, Original Apogee Full Range Ribbon speakers
2. Just a long time ago Avalon Eidolon
3. Recent dreams, Linkwitz LX 521.4, Dutch & Dutch 8Cs. and Magico Q7s.

Have not auditioned the recent dreams, but I am very familiar with the long agos. They were in another league entirely. Heard all the Logans, the big Thiels, Dynaudios, Wilsons. Vandersteens, Beveridge, Sound Labs, Kefs, Dunlavy's, Magnepans, and B & W Nautilus. None of them approached those two speakers.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The horns I chose look great IMO and despite being huge work well in corners using the walls and floor as pseudo extentions of the bass horn.
OTOH I still like the ones I chose almost 25 years ago best.
Just out of curiosity, could you please share which are those?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The horns are Tune Audio Animas and my "last speakers" are Goldmund Epilog 1&2
Thank you, also out of curiosity for the correlation of your preference to measurements, do any measurements of those exist online?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too, saw this video when it first came out. This installation is an impressive deployment of resources, and worthy of my envy.

It motivated a turn away from large cabinets and heavy amplification.

It's the sort of thing Men do when they're in their last house.

My dream is only slightly more portable, certainly no more affordable.

AJBLK2S9900WG.jpg

Last edited:

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JBL K2, very good sounding speakers, no idea how they measure.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

It's been a moving target for the 50 years I've been in Audio. Knowing what I know now, and having learned so much from ASR (mainly) and research, at this point in time, I am dreaming (with an eye toward acquiring eventually in a few years...) of:
Pair of Genelec 8351, augmented by a pair of W371 as main speakers +7380A SAM™ Subwoofer ...

Last edited:

RichardG

Long time listener, first time caller,

Back in the early 2000's I demo'd a set of Paradigm Reference Active Studio 40's that completely melted my face, changed me, and I have been hooked ever since. Unfortunately I was unable to afford them so I ended up buying the passive Studio 40's V2. I think they have held their own over the years but I still dream of that active pair.

So anyway, I would like to know what speaker you dream of?

Do you recall what equipment they were hooked up to during the demo? I bought a pair of used Paradigm Reference Active Studio 20s v1 a few years ago. With my current equipment they sound awful. I don't know if it is the speakers or the source equipment. The speakers might not be very forgiving of the source equipment.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
1926 CrosleyRadio1.jpg

Actually I'm serious - I'd love to hear this. :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've got an RCA Radiola 18 and its outboard loudspeaker in the basement -- needs rehabilitation, though. :oops:
Eminently restoreable, though.

just like this one...

1630633379675.png

OP
Thunder22

Thunder22

Do you recall what equipment they were hooked up to during the demo? I bought a pair of used Paradigm Reference Active Studio 20s v1 a few years ago. With my current equipment they sound awful. I don't know if it is the speakers or the source equipment. The speakers might not be very forgiving of the source equipment.
It was a high end place, so i'm sure they had them hooked up to something decent. It's possible they had them hooked up to a Marantz SACD. I also have a pair of the 20's v1, They sound pretty good hooked up to my Microstation BT. I basically am only streaming to them and not going for high end. Maybe there is something wrong with your 20's since the Microstation isn't anything special.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to "dream" about speakers that could actually work in my home. I'm not all that enthused about gigantic speakers in some other gigantic
room I don't own.

To that end, I'm pretty damned close to my dream speakers already - I love my Thiels and Joseph speakers and, being a speaker whore, I'd really like to try out some Devore O/96 speakers. If I fulfill that goal, I'd basically be livin' my dream.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Devore’s literally make every track in your collection fresh and new, almost unrecognisable in fact.
Keith

Top Bottom