• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the speaker of your dreams?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@dualazmak I contacted the TAD dealer in my hometown. They carry the Compact Reference and do not have inventory on the Reference 1. So the dealer said the Compact Reference is out for demo but the store will contact me when they are back in the store so I may go for a audition.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@dualazmak I contacted the TAD dealer in my hometown. They carry the Compact Reference and do not have inventory on the Reference 1. So the dealer said the Compact Reference is out for demo but the store will contact me when they are back in the store so I may go for a audition.

Nice to hear so. Or, you may consider possibility of flying into Tokyo for audition of TAD-R1TX at the company's nice studio!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to hear so. Or, you may consider possibility of flying into Tokyo for audition of TAD-R1TX at the company's nice studio!
Thanks for the invite! Very nice. :D I don't think I'll be travelling to Tokyo as much as I would love to meet some nice Japanese women and see the sights and the huge variation in climate from the north to the south of Japan. I dated a Japanese woman studying ESL in Canada some years ago and I found the compatibility was good. Lovely experience...

OP
Thunder22

Thunder22

Update: I was able to replace the PS capacitors in the non-working Paradigm Studio Active 40 and I am finally able to listen in stereo. WOW! These little guys will literally blow your hair back through the back ports. Unfortunately it seems I will need to replace the caps in the other one as level matching is off. Good thing I ordered extra :p.

Active 40's front.jpgActive 40's back.jpg
32Hz(DIN)*
±1dB 36Hz - 22kHz on axis
±1dB 36Hz - 20kHz off axis

22litres / 0.78cuf

55 x 21 x 33.5cm
21-1/2 x 8-1/4 x
13-1/4in

50kg / 110lbs
per pair

redjr

Maybe not my dream system speakers, but I got a pair of Navis for Christmas. While I had some initial trouble getting them paired correctly with 2 other new components; a K9 Pro FiiO DAC, and Schiit Freya S pre, I'm settling into a setup I can pleasantly listen to. I was excited to know that all 3 new pieces supported fully differential balanced I/O and thought balanced would add a new dimension. Interestingly enough, I'm not convinced the 'balanced sound' is better, or 'right' to me. Not necessarily bad, just different. Many of my tracks just didn't sound as crisp and clear with the smooth articulation I was use to. The issue seems to be with the Freya S. Even using it in its passive mode - straight through with no gain - with balanced cables there seems to be a very slight muddiness to long held notes and phrases in certain music. It is subtle and my son (much younger ears) could not hear it, but I could. I was perplexed.

I decided to hook up the same path with SE cables. While still not what I expected, the sound did seem to improve. Maybe my new components need more break-in time. Today I sitting listening to it without the Freya in the loop using SE cables from the K9 Pro DAC pre out, directly to the Navis. Every track sounded clear and smooth. With simply a lush, rich presence to the sound. This I liked. I'm going to add the Freya back into the chain and see if the sound changes much and I can still hear the objectionable parts. I will say, the muddiness doesn't always show up in every track. Most of my test tracks sound great, so maybe as it always comes down to, the source is bad, and the new system is just more revealing. I dunno at this point. But it is intriguing to me.

I don't think the Navis are at fault. But they are more likely to have introduced more impact on what I'm hearing due to the 3 built-in amps along with the new speaker design. Coming from the Elac UB5s, I just thought the active speakers would sound better.

Saga continues.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec G Five. I’m so sick of overwhelming audio.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Big Quads, dual subs and a bigger room.
Yamaha GF 1.
Technics sb 9500

RoyB

Forum Donor
Not the speaker of my dreams....But easily the best speaker I've ever heard for a reasonable, under $5000 pair price.....I have other speakers I hook up every now and then just for fun...But my new KEF LS50 Metas are simply fantastic. In over 40 years in the HiFi business only two other speakers ever impressed me as much...Dahlquist DQ10 and any Magnapans......(Istill have Magnapan MMG)...These KEFs are better than both. The imaging, sound stage, vocals, bass dynamics.....Can't be beat!

OP
Thunder22

Thunder22

Maybe not my dream system speakers, but I got a pair of Navis for Christmas. While I had some initial trouble getting them paired correctly with 2 other new components; a K9 Pro FiiO DAC, and Schiit Freya S pre, I'm settling into a setup I can pleasantly listen to. I was excited to know that all 3 new pieces supported fully differential balanced I/O and thought balanced would add a new dimension. Interestingly enough, I'm not convinced the 'balanced sound' is better, or 'right' to me. Not necessarily bad, just different. Many of my tracks just didn't sound as crisp and clear with the smooth articulation I was use to. The issue seems to be with the Freya S. Even using it in its passive mode - straight through with no gain - with balanced cables there seems to be a very slight muddiness to long held notes and phrases in certain music. It is subtle and my son (much younger ears) could not hear it, but I could. I was perplexed.

I decided to hook up the same path with SE cables. While still not what I expected, the sound did seem to improve. Maybe my new components need more break-in time. Today I sitting listening to it without the Freya in the loop using SE cables from the K9 Pro DAC pre out, directly to the Navis. Every track sounded clear and smooth. With simply a lush, rich presence to the sound. This I liked. I'm going to add the Freya back into the chain and see if the sound changes much and I can still hear the objectionable parts. I will say, the muddiness doesn't always show up in every track. Most of my test tracks sound great, so maybe as it always comes down to, the source is bad, and the new system is just more revealing. I dunno at this point. But it is intriguing to me.

I don't think the Navis are at fault. But they are more likely to have introduced more impact on what I'm hearing due to the 3 built-in amps along with the new speaker design. Coming from the Elac UB5s, I just thought the active speakers would sound better.

Saga continues.
I also was interested in the Navis. Although I have never auditioned them. Did you get the bookshelves or the floor standers?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EPI M1000

epi1000.jpg
I owned the EPI 400's which were the minitower version of these with 4 6" woofers and 4 1' tweeters in the mid '70's. Each side of the tower had a tweeter and a woofer, so they were quasi omnidirectional . I drove them with a Phase Linear 400 power amp and a Marantz Model 7 Preamp. They could really play LOUD. They wound up being stolen in a burglary. Next speakers I owned were the Roger's LS3/5a's which took things in a completely different direction.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
During college, I spent my hard earned money to buy a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers.
They were NOT a dream but a 'nightmare' for me.
1641782586600.png

A few weeks after purchase, I found out what the model name really meant.:eek:
Infinity POS II

redjr

I also was interested in the Navis. Although I have never auditioned them. Did you get the bookshelves or the floor standers?
I got the bookshelves variant in piano black. The build quality is stunning, and there are plenty of input options. XLR, SE and Elac's proprietary wireless(an optional device is required). The Elac UB5s are sweet enough that I've enjoyed for the past couple of years, and I thought their sounds was stellar. But I always wanted to try active. I was using a sub with the UB5s, but the Navis doesn't need one. Full and rich with plenty of bass.

Larry B. Larabee

Bryston Model-T active with two 21B3 drivin'. cheaper than a Hyundai Accent and a longer warranty.

fastfreddy666

All we need is bass:

bass.jpg

80" subwoofer by Alex Audio.

Frequency Range 28 – 2500 Hz
Power Handling 2500 W
PEAK Power 5000 W
Sensitivity (1W/1m) 99 dB
Maximum SPL 135 dB
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm
LF Driver 80″ woofer
Cone material Carbone
Magnit Neodymium
Connection Neutrik speakON – NL4MP
Size 2360 x 2360 x 657 mm
Weight 350 kg

I was into competitive car audio back in the early nineties. I had a 250 W RMS bass pipe (awful SQ but loud) in my car and I had CDs with stupid titles like "Nightmare on Bass Street" and "Bass Boom Bottom" Good times. I just bought myself a pair of Kali IN8 active monitors (the old ones). They were on sale and I couldn't resist. I have been told they can get pretty loud. I'm reluctant to try because my neighbor will probably shoot me with his Remington (150 dB on average) and then God said: Let there be the inverse square law. The sound of silence.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I owned the EPI 400's which were the minitower version of these with 4 6" woofers and 4 1' tweeters in the mid '70's. Each side of the tower had a tweeter and a woofer, so they were quasi omnidirectional . I drove them with a Phase Linear 400 power amp and a Marantz Model 7 Preamp. They could really play LOUD. They wound up being stolen in a burglary. Next speakers I owned were the Roger's LS3/5a's which took things in a completely different direction.
Never heard such a speaker like the EPI what was the sound like except for loud vs conventional speakers;

Top Bottom