• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the difference between Tuner and Radio?

egellings

Major Contributor
What's the difference between Tuner and Radio? Why so many people use tuner? The radio is much more cheaper and convenience, why not just use a radio?
A tuner has all the radio reception and station selection capabilities, but no audio amplification and speaker built in, such as what you'd have in a table radio. A receiver has the tuner plus audio amplification capabilities and needs only speakers and perhaps an antenna to work. A radio has what a receiver has plus a built-in speaker, all in one.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A receiver conclude a tuner and power amplifier?

But many AV receivers don't have tuners. So a AV receiver is not a traditional receiver?
The way I look at it if an AV "receiver" doesn't have a tuner, it isn't a "receiver" strictly speaking.

I guess one will encounter some AV "receivers" without tuners and the reason for that is the declining popularity of AM/FM off-the-air radio. Most radio station can be accessed by Internet streaming and some stations only by the Internet.

In fact nowadays it's pretty hard to find new stand-alone tuners. If you want one you might buy a "vintage" tuner. Actually vintage tuners are good deal: tuners are very robust compare to most audio components and generally last for decades. Most stand-alone vintage tuners will far out perform tuners in current receivers. There are lots of them for sale on eBay. My circa 1985 Denon TU-767 AM/FM digitally-tune tuner is great and works like new. I paid about C$85 for around 15 years ago for it which had a new price in current money of perhaps $500; today you'll pay even less.

My Denon tuner ...
800-FullFront.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Top Bottom