• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading Marantz PM7000N

OP
R

Robollox

Also, it's best not to confuse "upgrades" with simple GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)!
Thank you for your response. I do need to point out that when I mean more 'involved' with my music, I do like it loud, hence why I really want the 520's as they are physically more capable at doing that without struggling, distortion, more range, depth, etc., etc., TIA, Robin.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tuners: Once I started doing level-matched comparisons (sighted), I quickly found that there wasn't much sonic difference between good tuners in terms of "musicality", whether solid state or tube. But what does matter are matters of sensitivity, selectivity, and the quality of the noise they generate under less than ideal reception conditions.

In many ways, I felt that the old Sony XDR-F1HD was king of the hill, but under marginal reception conditions, mine would constantly switch between digital and analog signal which I found distracting, and there was no provision for locking it onto one or the other, perhaps a limitation of the ASIC they used.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your response. I do need to point out that when I mean more 'involved' with my music, I do like it loud, hence why I really want the 520's as they are physically more capable at doing that without struggling, distortion, more range, depth, etc., etc., TIA, Robin.
More amplifier + more speaker might get you partway there, but if you try pumping a lot of acoustic energy into a poorly-dampened space, the sonics might still make you cringe at higher volumes.

Top Bottom