• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to listen to radio

Nordling

Hey, really glad I found you answer. Had the same want and interrogation as OP, and this product seemed like the cheaper option. Current amp has internet radio via Vtuner, but quality is AAC at best, and it's a considerable pain to configure, and slow to boot. The only other one I found that filled the required functions is the Tangent Tuner II, and it's considerably more expensive (at least as expensive as the only Waxx's Hama DIT2000 I managed to find with a quick search, 175-200€ area ; and whose screen seems way to small to be agreeable or usable from a distance).
So I have a question about it, besides whether you're still happy with it : can you set up an extinction/sleep mode on it ? Like 15/20/30mn for example ? My case use would be plugging it into a Dx3pro+ via optical, into an amp, two devices that automatically shutdown after a certain time of inactivity.

Edit : I mixed up the devices, between the Audio Stream 3 and the DAB+ Adapter 3 MK2. The latter only has the Dab+ radio functions and is less expensive. Not by that much though, considering all the additional functions (dac, aptX BT, webradios, FM, spotify, control app...). Hmm I'm in a bit of a pinch now... Seems like the right choice to go for only the wanted functions for a cheaper price, but the Stream 3 openly specifies it has a sleep timer. It's not as advertised with the DAB+ Adapter, but it seems present too in its manual, right ? Only thing is that it's the previous version, with a different remote from the new model it seems, and it's hard to figure out what's on the buttons with the angle of the picture of the MK2 version :rolleyes:. Second from left on top rank indicates sleep, you're seeing the same thing as me ?
@onethreetwowaitthatswrong You're welcome! Answering your question: I'm still happy with my Argon Audio Stream 3. I even got two of them: one downstairs in the living room, and one in the study where I use it when I work at home. Both are doing their job without problems for 2-3 years now. However I can remember that registering the internet radio was a bit of a hassle, but that was only one time. I wonder why I had to register because the VTuner of my WIIM Pro Plus streamer works out of the box!

You are right about the sleep timer. I have never used it but I understand the use case. Btw did you know that the Argon devices can also be managed from the UNDOK app? In the UNDOK app you can switch the device on/off, you can change the source, radio station, etc. Also you can setup the sleep timer if you want.
It's a difficult choice indeed, considering the different functions and prices. I remember I got it at a discount.
I see what you mean about the different remotes but I agree it looks like both remotes have a 'sleep' button.

You also might consider a totally different route: the WIIM Pro (Plus) streamer has the option to play internet radio via VTuner. This device does not have a sleep timer, but it has an 'alarm clock' to play a certain source at a specific time. Beware that the sound quality when using analog RCA out differs between Pro and Pro Plus.

Good luck choosing the right device!

@onethreetwowaitthatswrong You're welcome! Answering your question: I'm still happy with my Argon Audio Stream 3. [...]

You also might consider a totally different route: the WIIM Pro (Plus) streamer has the option to play internet radio via VTuner. This device does not have a sleep timer, but it has an 'alarm clock' to play a certain source at a specific time. Beware that the sound quality when using analog RCA out differs between Pro and Pro Plus.

Good luck choosing the right device!
Thanks !
I ordered the DAB+ Adapter 3 MKII. I managed to find additional pictures, other than the manufacturer's ones, on a norwegian reselling website, that shows better the device and its remote. Considering I wasn't planning on using the streamer functions, and my topping dac already has bt reception if I need to play something from my phone, it seemed like the more focused choice. There's almost two months of free return in case it should not prove satisfying anyways so I'm not too worried. Will report back once it's received.

Back onto the original topic, I noticed the only pure tuner (FM/DAB) sold by audiophonics, by a brand named Silkline, which hasn't been much tested or discussed here, but looks like a solid box.

radix

Major Contributor
Fidelity-wise, is there a clear winner between FM, DAB and Internet? I'm guessing it might depend on the quality of the Internet stream, right?

My experience is in the US, where we have HD radio not DAB. In general, Internet wins unless you have a particularly good station near by and a decent antenna. That said, you can get perfectly good FM & HD. I find listening to Internet radio more hassle than it's work for casual listening, as I usually just want to turn on the radio and listen, not pull out a device and menu dive.

I usually listen to FM on an McIntosh MR74, and that's a middle-of-the-road sensitivity tuner. My understanding is there are some issues with certain HD implementations, so YMMV with that depending on the receiver. In the US, the quality of the broadcast facility can vary widely, so the on-air performance might be less than what it could be, or over compressed for loudness.

Nordling

Thanks !
I ordered the DAB+ Adapter 3 MKII. I managed to find additional pictures, other than the manufacturer's ones, on a norwegian reselling website, that shows better the device and its remote. Considering I wasn't planning on using the streamer functions, and my topping dac already has bt reception if I need to play something from my phone, it seemed like the more focused choice. There's almost two months of free return in case it should not prove satisfying anyways so I'm not too worried. Will report back once it's received.

Back onto the original topic, I noticed the only pure tuner (FM/DAB) sold by audiophonics, by a brand named Silkline, which hasn't been much tested or discussed here, but looks like a solid box.
Great! I'm curious how you like it.

I finally received it and managed to test it a bit - working good. The initial setup is really easy but the small manual contains minimal information. The remote is extensive and it has a set of complete features (sleep timer, night mode, alarm), but I had to explore it myself to find out how it worked some of those aren't detailed in the paper manual.
For example, even the lowest dim setting of the standby clock screen is way too bright for a night room, and it's only in the morning I found there was an dark programmable night mode. Screen information is complete as well, showing you signal strength for instance, which helps a lot placing the antenna. However, due to the size of the device, the screen info is unreadable 2 to 3m from the device depending on how sharp your eyes are.

Sound quality wise, I made my own tests but they were a) not A-B blind b) without any definite measure and precise volume adjustment, so take them with the necessary distance. Compared to FM radio, it seemed clearly better. No parasite veil anymore, punchier bass, a tad more piercing though but that would make sense according to this french analysis/comparison of the frequency ranges. It is also better than the Vtuner webradio setup I previously used, but this one was, at best, AAC audio (with a higher bitrate though), in a flux that didn't went through my external dac, an older amp and worse speakers. The Dab+ bitrate is 88kpbs (see pic below), which would lead me to think, as it's been said earlier here and in the analysis I linked, that a webradio that emits at a higher bitrate would have a better sound. But then, this ridiculously small device (see comparison to a dx3pro+ below) does not need an internet connection to work. Also, since it's plugged to the dac and I adjust from the amp, I've set its volume to the maximum : so far, not a single sign of heating. We'll see how it holds in time, but feature-wise I'm really happy.

Two pictures for good measure, including a better view of the remote :

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 25

Nordling

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you're happy with it. Your Argon DAB+ Adapter 3 MKII looks exactly the same as my Argon Audo Stream 3.
I'm curious: did you use the UNDOK app already? The app is free and very easy to install. However I don't know it actually works with your device but I think it will.

Nordling

About the sound quality of the internet radio: I tested this with vTuner on my WIIM Pro Plus. Bitrate differs between 128 and 192 kbps @16 bits, 48kHz, depending on the radio station.

Barrelhouse Solly

I live in a valley on the eastern edge of the Bay Area. FM reception is poor because even though we're not far from most of the transmitters, there's very little line of sight. I use the internet. There are a variety of options using very simple connections.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you're happy with it. Your Argon DAB+ Adapter 3 MKII looks exactly the same as my Argon Audo Stream 3.
I'm curious: did you use the UNDOK app already? The app is free and very easy to install. However I don't know it actually works with your device but I think it will.
Since it's a Dab+ only radio, it is not connected to my local network. Its only cable-free connection is the radio waves, and therefore not discoverable or usable with this app. But considering the limited amount of settings, the remote is pretty sufficient for me. Although you'd be right to think its more practical with a phone if you have several or want to change some particular setup without having to move closer to the screen to see what you're doing :)

About the sound quality of the internet radio: I tested this with vTuner on my WIIM Pro Plus. Bitrate differs between 128 and 192 kbps @16 bits, 48kHz, depending on the radio station.
Internet bitrate tends to be higher, it seems. However, I wouldn't be certain it automatically translates into better sound. Could be upscaled low quality, among other ways a not-so-rigorous handling and transmission of the source could be sent (even though there are also undoubtedly good internet radio stations too). But I have at least as much trust in the local/national radios I listen to and know that they have some care about the audio they're sending, and assured that dab+ would be a clear improvement. Room and speakers still matter more than these small differences in flux in the end too, I'd say.

Top Bottom