• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats cheaper and better then the Dragonfly red?

lostone98

I been looking at the Hidizs S9PRO, Are they any good? I got a dragonfly but i'm uncertain to keep it, I have a old android phone and the audio cuts out when I open a app up. What are better performer then the dragonfly?

apson

Forum Donor
I'm a big fan of the E1DA 9038D (or whatever the 3.5mm version is called) but I can no longer seem to find them on Amazon here in the US which has become problematic because I recommend this thing to everyone I meet who likes music. I'm assuming it's still being made? @IVX is it? I needed a very specific OTG cable for my iPhone 12.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Pretty much anything is better than Dragonfly Red but I am not sure that will resolve your problem if it's on a phone side. If you don't intend to drive anything serious take a look at good old TempoTec Sonata HD Pro. What apps and how are you using the DAC?

OP
lostone98

lostone98

Pretty much anything is better than Dragonfly Red but I am not sure that will resolve your problem if it's on a phone side. If you don't intend to drive anything serious take a look at good old TempoTec Sonata HD Pro. What apps and how are you using the DAC?
Just TIDAL.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As has been said, might not be the Dragonfly's fault for the cut outs but plenty of dongles are better and cheaper

Filter type as "headphone amp- dongle" and "DAC -thumbdrive" then sort by recommended . I would look at things reviewed 2021 or 2020- not much before that.

All other items previously mentioned are worth a look.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@lostone98 that's not all that old. Try with some of the players which use its own USB audio 2.0 driver tho with Tidal you will pretty much get stuck to UAPP (paid). You can obtain very limited try version (30 seconds of reproduction as I recall) from their website.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

I'm a big fan of the E1DA 9038D (or whatever the 3.5mm version is called) but I can no longer seem to find them on Amazon here in the US which has become problematic because I recommend this thing to everyone I meet who likes music. I'm assuming it's still being made? @IVX is it? I needed a very specific OTG cable for my iPhone 12.
I cant find them in the UK for a good price.

EB1000

S9 Pro is great and Roon compatible, but I would not buy it from aliexpress berceuse it's most likely a Chinese/Russian clone. Get it directly from the official site. They ship worldwide.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
S9 Pro is great and Roon compatible, but I would not buy it from aliexpress berceuse it's most likely a Chinese/Russian clone. Get it directly from the official site. They ship worldwide.
Would you care to elaborate which Hidizs device is Chinese clone?

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I been looking at the Hidizs S9PRO, Are they any good? I got a dragonfly but i'm uncertain to keep it, I have a old android phone and the audio cuts out when I open a app up. What are better performer then the dragonfly?

The killer feature of the dragonfly dongles is their extraordinarily low power consumption, both at idle and when working. Of course this doesn't make for sexy marketing so they make up spurious claims about sound quality and technical prowess and promote them that way instead. I think if you are used to a dragonfly dongle paired with a smartphone then you will get a truly horrible surprise when you try many competing products and notice the impact on your battery life. This is really worth looking into! If manufacturers decline to specify power consumption then avoid. And if it's in 100s of mA, as is often the case, then, again, avoid. A year ago I bought a Musiland MU1 dongle on the strength of Amir's review, its ~1ohm output impedance, and also on its very modest power consumption. I used it trouble free for the year, it's very good. Recently I upgraded to a Musiland MU2 Mk III which has tiny power consumption, in line volume control, in line voltage control (up to 1.7v so does a reasonable job of powering everything from the most sensitive IEM up to full size headphones) and supports DSD. It's really worth a look.

edit: I corrected "100s of mW" to "100s of Ma".

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Dear @julian_hughes the ES9018K2M and it's belonging ES amp (that's severely crippled in both Red and Purple) are far from more newer ones regarding efficiency. As much as I remember Meizu non pro whose most power efficient (they are discounted) last time they did checking around hire.

EB1000

Would you care to elaborate which Hidizs device is Chinese clone?
I don't know, but I once bought the E1DA PowerDAC v2 from Aliexpress and got a fake PowerDAC v2.1 that kept on losing usb connections. I've tried to contacted the official website, but it did not accept the entered serial number, saying it's not a valid serial...

Top Bottom