• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Neuro

Small study from Beijing with important implications.

"If you had mild respiratory symptoms from COVID-19 and were staying at home so as not to infect people, extend your quarantine for another two weeks after recovery to ensure that you don't infect other people," recommended corresponding author Lixin Xie, MD, professor, College of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...r-their-symptomatic-recovery-study-shows.aspx

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, what a fantastic interview. Koreans are lucky to have such great medical leaders in charge there. "We have to be humble." That is the last thing I see any of our leaders being here. :(

How many of us are going to die because we don't have a simple mask?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we need to interview Naomi Oreskes here on ASR to get her take on audio science denial.
Should we listen to someone who still watches a CRT based TV with what appears a built in VCR? I mean she has a smartphone right there in her hand.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
?
Wow, what a fantastic interview. Koreans are lucky to have such great medical leaders in charge there. "We have to be humble." That is the last thing I see any of our leaders being here. :(

I, too was very impressed with Korean Professor Kim Woo-joo - not only regarding his insight and knowledge, but his attitude. And it is truly remarkable how, after being one of the earliest nations to detect a COVID-19 case, South Korea has really been able to "flatten the curve" - LINK.

Although I am old and no longer travel, I wish I had visited South Korea in my younger days to explore its natural beauty and experience a bit of Korean culture (and cuisine).

digicidal

Major Contributor

But... but... they told me a mask doesn't do anything... and that's why they need them so desperately. Oh and if I get any for myself - I'm just being selfish, ignorant, and paranoid. :rolleyes: (Half of the "guidelines" remind me of some of the most infuriating stories to come out of 9/11).

I can hardly wait for the follow-up guidance... "yep, masks actually do help... you should have been wearing them."

maty

Major Contributor
El pico de la epidemia ya ha pasado en siete comunidades
[Spanish] https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2...espana-pico-comunidades-madrid-catalunya.html

The peak of the epidemic has already passed in seven communities
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20200329/48147112169/coronavirus-covid-19-pandemia-espana-espana-pico-comunidades-madrid-catalunya.html

[ Seven of the 17 autonomous communities, including Catalonia and Madrid, have registered since Wednesday a decrease in the number of new daily diagnoses of Covid-19.

The whole of Spain has not returned to equal the 8,578 new diagnoses in a day registered on Wednesday, according to data published yesterday by the Ministry of Health and which are updated until Friday night.

These data suggest that the expected peak of the epidemic was reached - in terms of new cases - on Wednesday 25. But the peak did not start to be seen in the curves until yesterday because you had to have a perspective of more than a day to check if the decline started on Thursday was maintained... ]

:)

maty

Major Contributor
La fiesta salvaje que ayudó a diseminar el coronavirus por Europa
[Spanish] https://www.abc.es/sociedad/abci-fi...-coronavirus-europa-202003282225_noticia.html

The wild party that helped spread the coronavirus throughOut Europe
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://www.abc.es/sociedad/abci-fiesta-salvaje-ayudo-diseminar-coronavirus-europa-202003282225_noticia.html

[ A perfect example is the beautiful German waiter of the Kitzloch, the brewery of the Austrian ski resort of Ischgl, from whose tap the coronavirus has spread across five continents. Ischgl is a Tyrolean town of just 1,600 but with 10,000 hotel beds, the "Ibiza ski",which has displaced St. Anton as the trendy town in Europe for drinking, flirting and even skiing. About half a million visitors pass by every winter and everyone knows that the most intense fun is not on the slopes, but in the Kitzloch, a local apre-ski, on whose walls hang photos of illustrious customers, such as Elton John, Rihanna and Enrique Iglesias.

To warm up the night, start the establishment's teaching game, the "beer pong". It consists of the aforementioned handsome waiter, 24 years old and resident in Insbruk, evidently charismatic and with the ability to animate the party, a ping-pong ball is inserted into his mouth and, using a boost with his tongue, expels it with enough speed and aim to encede into the beer jug of some graceful young woman, on which he acquires a certain right of rubbing and who in turn has the right to use the same ball to try to reach the beer jug of some other and possibly unknown customer.

On February 24th, the waiter in our sighs was hospitalized, having infected 24 other people with coronavirus in his nearest environment alone. On 29 February, Icelandic authorities warned that the 15 tourists from a group who had just returned from Ischgl had all tested positive. While Kitzloch owner Bernhard Zangerl protested against the decision to close the venue on March 7, social media broadcast videos of the wildest parties of the month. Cases of coronavirus linked to Ischgl have been reported from four continents. Only Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Germany have traced more than 500 contagions to Kitzloch, which have then continued to spread the virus in their territories... ]

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The initial approach of the UK government was that the disease would lead to herd immunity until they came to understand that getting herd immunity by people getting the actual disease, as opposed to vaccination which is the normal medical way, would lead to the medical facilities being overwhelmed many times over, if only for a few weeks, and thousands of people dying due to lack of availability of medical treatment.
Then they changed to try to contain the growth of the epidemic such that the peak doesn't exceed the medical facilities capacity.

maty

Major Contributor

maty

Major Contributor
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020/03/17/actualidad/1584436648_230452.html

Doubling time. How many days does it take for confirmed cases to duplicate, for each Autonomous Community

covid-19-tiempo-duplicacion-28032020.png

maty

Major Contributor
[Spanish] https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-29/ultima-hora-y-noticias-del-coronavirus-en-directo.html

[ Spain accumulates 6,528 deaths, 78,797 contagions, 43,397 hospitalizations, 4,907 income in ICU and 14,709 cured, according to the Ministry of Health... ]

* New infected: 5,562 / 73,235 -> 8.75% :)

* UCI income / contagions: 4,907 / 78,797 -> 6.2%

* UCI income / (hospitalizations + UCI income): 4,907 / (43,397 + 4,907) -> 10.1%

Presumably, once contagions have stopped in nursing homes, the big percentages will continue to drop.

Last edited:

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wasn't going to bother posting any further comment and I'll take the chance of getting banned for not trotting along with the hysteria.
ASR is supposed to be an evidence based site. It's why I joined. There are hundreds of subjectivist style sites that completely ignore the scientific data and empty your wallet with a form of of hysteria, all based around 'I hear this so it is so.'
There are pages of data on past epidemics that anyone who is at all interested in evidence based reasoning can access.
I rather expected to see some of this in the posting on ASR regarding the current virus, but it seems that common sense and reason has deserted many.
Much like in the world of HiFi, there are a few voices that tell you to measure, reason and build a statistical picture form evidence rather than the hyperbole that has infected the world of HiFi. Instead it seems many prefer to soak up the constant barrage of out of context graphs and information posted by some in this thread and indulge in political and idealogical slanging matches.

I've been polite in my comment. The same can't be said for some of the replies to what I've written.
I am certainly not denying the human tragedy involved in this epidemic, but people seem to have lost their sense of proportion.
So, below is some evidence. These are not figures concocted by some communist plot. These are figures widely accept as accurate withing thhe data gathering limitations.
I'm just going to present figures for the USA here. The tragedy of the hysteria will be much much worse in other countries.
It is almost impossible to give an accurate start point for infection in the USA. Flu stats are generally presented by season.

As of March 2020. 2,229 deaths have been attributed to Covid-19 in the USA.
Worldwide in this season, or over the last three months 30,935 deaths have been attributed to Covid-19.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/

Last years flu season in the USA alone it is estimated that 80,000 people died from 'the flu.'

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Why didn't the world grind to a halt last year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom