• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but they drink more milk which likely has added Vit. D; not to mention any greater consumption of mushrooms

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What % of the US popn. is Vitamin D deficient?
I don't know. We are supposed to be more susceptible to it given where we live but I have been tested multiple times and always fine. Still, based on advice from my doctor, my wife and I both take supplements.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1585266495511.png

Also, this article is Euro-centric but we're doing this in the US, I already have my stint scheduled as 'boy in the bubble':
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ites-to-keep-coronavirus-at-bay-idUSKBN21D0P1

Putter

Forum Donor
There is no evidence that raising vitamin D levels in people with initially low levels is of any value. Actually, I should have said that the large body of evidence says it’s of no value.

Give me references. I don't really doubt that may be true (for other diseases), but it hasn't been tested in Corona patients. All I really want to find out is if hospitalized Corona patients had lower Vitamin D levels than the general population. General lab testing including Vitamin D levels is common with sick patients? Is there easily available data for this or other lab values? Are any professionals looking?

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Give me references. I don't really doubt that may be true (for other diseases), but it hasn't been tested in Corona patients. All I really want to find out is if hospitalized Corona patients had lower Vitamin D levels than the general population. General lab testing including Vitamin D levels is common with sick patients? Is there easily available data for this or other lab values? Are any professionals looking?
It is easy to search pub Med for the large Vit D studies. Clearly, looking at vitamin D levels is not a priority acutely in COVID-19. They’d rather look at ferritin. Do you have any idea what is happening in ERs?

Putter

Forum Donor
It is easy to search pub Med for the large Vit D studies. Clearly, looking at vitamin D levels is not a priority acutely in COVID-19. They’d rather look at ferritin. Do you have any idea what is happening in ERs?

No but there are clearly a lot of people researching Corona. By the way what are your credentials that allow you to make such sweeping pronouncements on medical research?

Lao Lu

While I am sure it is comfortable and has interesting views, I cannot escape thinking that from a distance it gives the impression of being a luxury parking garage.....

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
I hope I don't get it, I hope nobody else gets it, and I hope those affected make full recoveries.

Observe social distancing and self-isolation policies, wash your hands, regardless of whether you like the policymakers or not.

Pretty much all I have to say.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
On Swedish television today, the national Swedish virus doctor is especially worried about how the U.S will be able to handle this outbreak, in a global perspective.

Sweden does not have the full lockdown as the main part of Europe, not yet at least. Schools and kindergartens are open for kids, restaurants are open etc.
Instead focus is on extreme protection of elderly only, to flatten/ prolong the curve of intensive care need. Everybody over 70 years old is in full lockdown (including not meeting any below 70 at all, not even family). And elderly homes are being handled with extreme precautions.
It is claimed Sweden is doing what the virus experts advices, and the rest of Europe is doing what the politicians advices.
Only time will tell if it will stand the test of time. But I feel proud of this kind of scientific, rational, approach. If it is that... (I am no expert at all, but it sounds logical to me)

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Bruce M. S. Campbell, The Great Transition: climate, disease and society in the late-medieval world, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 2016

Obviously not the same Bruce Campbell, but seeing the words "society in the late-medieval world" associated with that name gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling for some reason. :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Swedish television today, the national Swedish virus doctor is especially worried about how the U.S will be able to handle this outbreak, in a global perspective.

Sweden does not have the full lockdown as the main part of Europe, not yet at least. Schools and kindergartens are open for kids, restaurants are open etc.
Instead focus is on extreme protection of elderly only, to flatten/ prolong the curve of intensive care need. Everybody over 70 years old is in full lockdown (including not meeting any below 70 at all, not even family). And elderly homes are being handled with extreme precautions.
It is claimed Sweden is doing what the virus experts advices, and the rest of Europe is doing what the politicians advices.
Only time will tell if it will stand the test of time. But I feel proud of this kind of scientific, rational, approach. If it is that... (I am no expert at all, but it sounds logical to me)
Please let us know how things develop. It looks like the growth rate slowed significantly about 5 days ago but is creeping up. Mortality does not look so good. But maybe Sweden will flatten the curve and prevent the health care system from being overwhelmed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Sweden

digicidal

Major Contributor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a far less amusing note... I guess we can safely again say "America's #1". Too bad it's a contest I'd rather we were losing
Hmmm..that map resembles the map that tracks college students using their cellphones during and after spring break celebrations at a Florida beach last week - after gathering there in large intimate crowds. (LINK)

The analysis is based on secondary locations of anonymized mobile devices that were active at a single Ft. Lauderdale beach.

Tectronix Florida Beach - Cellphones.jpg

Last edited:

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Please let us know how things develop. It looks like the growth rate slowed significantly about 5 days ago but is creeping up. Mortality does not look so good. But maybe Sweden will flatten the curve and prevent the health care system from being overwhelmed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Sweden

I beleive statistics like mortality is not really comparable between countries at all right now due to the differences in handling of everything. In Sweden only severly ill are tested for example. And only very severely ill are taken to hospital. To get intensive care you can not breath yourself.
And the most people died were not even treated with intensive Care I heard, due to other health problems that would not make them survive respirator care anyway.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Another reminder, this threads for local reporting , research and information and possibly as things get worse a little support for each other.

Nothing else, no politics, finger pointing and law suits .

It's not hard , please stick to the above.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Hmmm..that map resembles the map that tracks college students using their cellphones during and after spring break celebrations at a Florida beach last week - after gathering there in large intimate crowds. (LINK)

The analysis is based on secondary locations of anonymized mobile devices that were active at a single Ft. Lauderdale beach.

Although I'm positive there's a correlation, the sad reality is that many of those cases haven't yet fully incubated... the real explosion from spring break, if there is one, is going to start showing this coming week most likely. However, the two maps definitely prove that there were many contagious participants who likely infected far more than their ~2.3 person allotment (based on previous r0 estimates). :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom