• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What was the 1st system that made you go WOW!!!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean the 1st high end or serious sound. One that just made you stop and go wow! I've not heard anything close to this.

For me it was giving a co-worker a lift home because his car battery died. He asked me to come in for a bit have a glass of ice tea. In his living room he had some Magnepan MG2's. A G.A.S. hybrid power amp fed by an Audio Research pre amp. His source was a Micro Seiki TT. He played a few things for me, and it was so much better than anything I had ever heard. It took 6 months to scrouge around a pair of Maggies for myself. One of those sounds where you say, "I've got to have that!" Of course I didn't duplicate his system, but I needed to put together everything else needed. Though my Sherwood receiver at the time did a good job powering the Maggies until I got a real power amp.

Of course the gear looked so cool too. Here is the Micro Seiki TT he had, and he did have three arms like this.

1636935576080.png

jeffbook

The Linkwitz Orion, I heard it at Siegfried Linkwitz's home in October 2002 when I had to travel to San Francisco on business. I just looked at him and said "You've got to be kidding me....."

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be the first CD player I heard, at a friend's house. I think it was the Sony CDP 101, playing Dire Straits "Telegraph Road" on Elipson 1703 at the end of 1983. I had Technics SL??? turntables and Shure M95 cartridges - the difference was nothing short of stunning, especially on the low volume part at the start of the song.

That remains my only "WTF OMG WOW" moment.

More recently, a comparative listening session between KEF Blade 2 / Giya G3 / Focal Scala Utopia when I was shopping for new speakers. It was definitely a wow moment as well but, since my in-house speakers were Bose 901 / Klipsch Ref 7 / Tannoy, the improvement was logical.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A suspended pair of Quad ESL63 with a simple NAD preamp and solid state amp driven by a Linn LP12 before the CD revolution started.

The room was near ideal size, the owner had an extensive collection of original Blue Note LPs.

It was the first time I realized how much a room mattered.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My own really other than systems I demoed at dealers. I was 16 and thought I'd done very well, too :)

ps That was a handed down Fisher receiver, a Dual 1219 with a Shure M91ED to start, and a pair of original Advent speakers....

Last edited:

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No idea the amp but it was a pair of Dynaudio contour 1.1... REally incredible speakers.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The big Acoustats powered by AR tubes at a friend's uncle's house. Always an uncle.

JRS

Major Contributor
College in Southern Cal 1975. Some older friends took me to some high end audio store in LA to listen to some Infinity's. Had to wait a while for the salesman to fire them up: my jaw dropped and I thought I heard God.

I vowed that one day I would own a pair. Took nearly twenty five years before that promise was realized with a pair of the IRS Gamma's, using drivers whose lineage went directly back to the Servostatic 1A.
servostat.PNG

Attachments

• servostat2.PNG
    servostat2.PNG
    494.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny how many of these experiences came from dipoles, given how relatively uncommon they are. I should make some.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High end speaker shopping for the first time - sat in a dealer showroom and heard the Totem Mani (bookshelf speakers) playing Last of the Mohicans soundtrack - I was stunned that such tiny speakers could go so low so hard!

jkasch

Forum Donor
College in Southern Cal 197. Some older friends took me to some high end audio store in LA to listen to some Infinity's. Had to wait a while for the salesman to fire them up: my jaw dropped and I thought I heard God.

I vowed that one day I would own a pair. Took nearly twenty five years before that promise was realized with a pair of the IRS Gamma's, using drivers whose lineage went directly back to the Servostatic 1A.View attachment 165500
I remember reading a test for those (High Fidelity magazine?). They had the widest flattest FR graph I’d ever seen at the time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The big Acoustats powered by AR tubes at a friend's uncle's house. Always an uncle.
Not if you don't have any on either side of the family....nor aunts, both parents were single kids. Always wanted both, had some great aunts/uncles that sorta filled in along with some remote cousins, but just not the same :)

JRS

Major Contributor
That would be the first CD player I heard, at a friend's house. I think it was the Sony CDP 101, playing Dire Straits "Telegraph Road" on Elipson 1703 at the end of 1983. I had Technics SL??? turntables and Shure M95 cartridges - the difference was nothing short of stunning, especially on the low volume part at the start of the song.

That remains my only "WTF OMG WOW" moment.

More recently, a comparative listening session between KEF Blade 2 / Giya G3 / Focal Scala Utopia when I was shopping for new speakers. It was definitely a wow moment as well but, since my in-house speakers were Bose 901 / Klipsch Ref 7 / Tannoy, the improvement was logical.
So do tell, which did you buy?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny how many of these experiences came from dipoles, given how relatively uncommon they are. I should make some.
Just what I was thinking as I read the replies so far.

AudioSQ

Mine was a car stereo back in the mid 90s. Image Dynamics speakers, horns, IDQ 6"s, IDQ 12", Zapco amps, Clarion head unit, a couple 32 band EQs. He played Thunder Struck and I've spent too much money on stereo equipment ever since.

I eventually ended up purchasing a lot of the same gear, but mine never sounded as good. Probably because I never splurged for the EQs.

I moved to a walking city and got rid of the car, forced me to switch to home audio.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My first wOw system that I heard was at a friend of a friends place when I was ~13. It was KlipschHorns in a tiny little room. It was small enough that 4 people in it made the air stale and warm. He had a 35w/ch Hitachi Dynaharmony amp and a turntable. He played Streetheart Snow White and it rocked good. The tambourine was very well reproduced and could be heard like it was in the room.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So do tell, which did you buy?
Soundwise, I would have been happy with any of those. I went for the Giya, but also added the Focal to the stable a bit later.
And, of course, the small differences I thought I had perceived in my in-store sighted listening test all but disappeared in a blind test at home ;)

Psychologically, I find this interesting: even the rational part of me knows I probably would fail a practical blind test with the Kef as well, the irrational part of me still feels that I _might_ be missing something the Kef would deliver and feels the urge to purchase them as well from time to time. Fortunately, I don't have enough room for a third pair. Practical constraints limit my irrational compulsive behavior and that is a good thing!

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Early nineties, I heard this speaker, Floating Systems Synthese 1:

1636974557250.jpeg

This was a revelation. Hearing Tom’s Diner from a LP12 and other songs. The dynamics, the scale - wow.

Attachments

• 1636974522140.png
    1636974522140.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 62

cany89

76' JBL L50, Pioneer U-05 DAC + Pre, Counterpoint Solid Amp. I got all used from different sellers in a few months. Blow away my Elac's + integrated setup. Realy had the WOW factor when you were listening to rock music.

jbl-l50-13103.jpg
Eqf2Ur79Cy2tAwyHsmk5PG.jpg
32170-5__04372.1618595330.jpg

Top Bottom