• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What music servers do members use

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Media server on Synology NAS. It doesn't perform any transcoding so no loss in quality.
I've had a Synology DS210j since, well, 2010. I mainly use MinimServer, but that only rescans daily so I sometimes use Synology Media Server for stuff I've added that day. Have you tried MinimServer? It's very configurable.<https://minimserver.com/index.html>

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Current (for the last several years) Mac mini, using iTunes for playback. It works just fine, seamlessly syncs with our iPhones, and generally hasn't given me a reason to use anything fancier for 2-channel music.
How is that connected to your main (speaker) audio system? I ask because the Mac mini has changed somewhat over the years.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Main system in NY: WinPC-based server (Baetis) running JRiver and Roon output to exaSound e38 DAC. Storage on dual QNAP NAS boxes.
Weekend System: MacMini with Win7/Bootcamp running JRiver and Roon output to miniDSP U-DIO8/3xMytek Brooklyn DACs. Storage on dual QNAP NAS boxes.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use JRiver mainly. Then for the wife I have BT into the RCA inputs on My Emotiva DC-1. She just opens up Prime Music and goes.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I run LMS on a Dell T30 running Ubuntu Server 18.04. Storage is 2 internal 4TB Barracuda drives. Transports are an RPi 3B and 3B+ running piCorePlayer. Control is done via either iPeng running on my iPhone or iPad or via the LMS web app using Material Skin on my laptop.

My collection is mostly classical, and I depend on the LMS Custom Scan and Custom Browse plugins to be able to drill down from composer to work to specific recordings.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WD Raid NAS via wifi to a range of laptops and pads, then USB or BT to DAC.

oldsysop

Plex media server (free version.)
Plex Android client (free).
Chromecast Audio.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I use LMS on an Orange pi one. Consumption is around 2W and so I consider it is a low impact on the environment even I let it on all the time. OP one was clearly faster and a lot less expensive than Raspberry v3 when I tested, this is why I went for this card.

Disks are on a xpenology system I build with micro server I take out of the trash bin and repaired.

CTRLM

QNAP TS-251 NAS >>>hardwired>>>Netgear R7000 router>>>WiFi>>>Allo Digione Signature

Top Bottom