• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the "DIRETTA" audio protocol?

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hi, I'm living in France and in quite some hifi forums and discussions there is a lively debate on this "DIRETTA" audio protocol,which some claim to beat Roon's RAAT. Apparently it can be used in HQ Player as an ASIO source and in the RPI version of the "GentooPlayer" as as an ASIO target. Information on this protocol is extremely sparse: there is minimal website explaining how it tries to optimise data transfer of IP networks and that the developper sits in Japan.
I'd be greatful if you have more information or even some experience.
TNX in advance

dorakeg

Sounds like yet another gimmick...

Studies have found that people can't even tell the difference mp3 and uncompressed audio.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

Looks like another tool to extort money from audiophools. Very limited with respect to supported hardware. Not sure which player/server software it will work with.

OP
B

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hi, thanks for your replies. Ok then, snake oil again !!!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Snake oil slithers into another thread. Luckily our ASR faithful quickly killed it. Good Job!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Don't bother, it total nonsense :facepalm:
It's gaining a following on Audiophile Style forum lol

What does this mean?

"
The Background of Diretta

Why most electric noise is hard to filter at the network?
  • Most of the switch can reduce the power- supply noise generated by DC-DC conversions. Using some Audio Capacitor near the DC sources, can reduce some noises.
  • Some circuit designer may apply some low-pass filters and reduct splike like digital-specific noises.
    • However, we it will harm the sound, it is because the filter may filter out some missing information, that is not actually a noise at all, for example, the white noise, which have some extra information to the background, which make music more organic.
    • This may make music digital and harsh as a result of too much filters.
"

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

What does this mean?

"

• Most of the switch can reduce the power- supply noise generated by DC-DC conversions. Using some Audio Capacitor near the DC sources, can reduce some noises.
  • Some circuit designer may apply some low-pass filters and reduct splike like digital-specific noises.
    • However, we it will harm the sound, it is because the filter may filter out some missing information, that is not actually a noise at all, for example, the white noise, which have some extra information to the background, which make music more organic.
"
It can have three meanings:
"I have no f*cking idea of what I'm talking about"
"You have no f*cking idea of what I'm talking about"
"You and I have no f*cking idea of what I'm talking about"

OP
B

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hi there, I live in France and we have quite an active director protocol following over here with a couple of active forums. So I decided to give it a try. My normal audio chain is Quobuz via Roon on my PC, upscaling with Hqplayer to an Rpi4 with RopieeeXL via NAA that is connected to my RMI ADI DAC 2 FS.
Installing Diretta on an RPI is as messy as it gets: the only OS that is compatible with Diretta is Gentoo Player with is a good example of ‘advanced userunfriendliness’ (you need to have some Linux knowledge or you will fail in epic and lengthy configuration) Gentoo Player requires an IP6 adress for Diretta to work. Then you download the Diretta target software (this will be a trial version that runs for 6 minutes only). You still have to tell Gentoo Player that it will serve as a target.
On the PC that serves has the Diretta sound things are much easier. Install the the Diretta Asio driver, open it's control panel and click 'find target' that takes a second: save and close. Open HQPlayer and select 'Diretta' as Asio driver. And your done! Phew!

The 'Diretta' protocol sounds different compared to my normal setup but not obviously better. I quite like for orchestral music with a lot of instruments. Nevertheless, given the fact that you need thistle Gentoo Player for your Raspberry (which costs you 50 € for a lifetime license that is tied the Mac adress of the machine and cannot be transferred) plus the price for the Diretta protocol , I cannot recommend this thingy.
Invest your money elsewhere

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What does this mean?

"

"
ROTFLMAO
:D:eek:

What a load of bovine manure!

Peace.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi there, I live in France and we have quite an active director protocol following over here with a couple of active forums. So I decided to give it a try. My normal audio chain is Quobuz via Roon on my PC, upscaling with Hqplayer to an Rpi4 with RopieeeXL via NAA that is connected to my RMI ADI DAC 2 FS.
Installing Diretta on an RPI is as messy as it gets: the only OS that is compatible with Diretta is Gentoo Player with is a good example of ‘advanced userunfriendliness’ (you need to have some Linux knowledge or you will fail in epic and lengthy configuration) Gentoo Player requires an IP6 adress for Diretta to work. Then you download the Diretta target software (this will be a trial version that runs for 6 minutes only). You still have to tell Gentoo Player that it will serve as a target.
On the PC that serves has the Diretta sound things are much easier. Install the the Diretta Asio driver, open it's control panel and click 'find target' that takes a second: save and close. Open HQPlayer and select 'Diretta' as Asio driver. And your done! Phew!

The 'Diretta' protocol sounds different compared to my normal setup but not obviously better. I quite like for orchestral music with a lot of instruments. Nevertheless, given the fact that you need thistle Gentoo Player for your Raspberry (which costs you 50 € for a lifetime license that is tied the Mac adress of the machine and cannot be transferred) plus the price for the Diretta protocol , I cannot recommend this thingy.
Invest your money elsewhere
I also have no idea why there are HQPlayer users using this thing when there is already an optimized network audio protocol for HQPlayer specifically.

MnMike

I listened through Diretta today and felt it sounded quite good. It definitely sounded better than Roon on 44.1 stuff. There is no charge for 44.1k material. High res stuff has a time limit. I have GentooPlayer, Roon and HQPlayer. Normally I use Roon through HQP and convert everything to DSD. I did not hear a big difference in this case.

I would not be so quick to dismiss Diretta. It’s quite surprising how different software players can sound. These things are like black boxes. Most people have no idea how they work.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR. You'll find us sceptical of claims without evidence here. This is especially true of claims about hearing a difference between things when no experimental procedure is provided, because we know how difficult it can be to control for known sources of error. If you're not familiar with controlled listening tests and the reasons they're needed then this would be a good starting point: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lind-tests-and-listener-training-video.21026/

Some of us do know how software players work, which is why we're dismissive of claims made without evidence. We have several open audio streaming protocols that are demonstrably transparent - the data that goes in matches the data that comes out. We have some closed ones where this has also been demonstrated. It is unclear what benefit Diretta brings, if any, and there is a notable lack if evidence. It feels a bit like the MQA situation where the claims didn't stand up to investigation.

If players implement the protocols properly then the output will be verifiably identical to the input for lossless formats, unless they are intentionally changing something. Some RME DACs make this easy to check - stream their test file and the DAC will tell you whether it has changed. For lossy formats there is almost always a 'correct' output for a given input, again verifiable. If your DAC is functioning correctly there will be no more difference between streamers than there would be between different runs on the same streamer.

MnMike

Yes, I have been in your camp for years and well aware of the placebo effect. Data is data and can be perfectly transferred. But for music the time between data is also important. Maybe this explains the difference I hear. I’m just saying keep an open mind. I will not comment further lest this devolve into another cable conversation.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The network protocol should have nothing to do with the "time between data" seen by the DAC, so no effect on the analog output from the DAC. Most HiFi USB DACs have a local clock that controls timing of data transfer from its local buffer to its DAC chip. When the buffer drops below some level it signals the computer that it is ready for the next block of data. The computer needs to deliver the next block before the DAC's local buffer runs out, which normally isn't a problem. If the computer doesn't deliver in time there will typically be an audible glitch, much like a pop or click on vinyl, but it will depend on the DAC and how big the gap is. Usually the cause is a buggy driver causing excessive interrupt latency - nothing to do with the network protocol. Note that there will be several other buffers involved, notably in the operating system's audio subsystem and in the streamer software itself. These shouldn't ever run out of data unless there's a bug, the computer is too heavily loaded to process things in a timely manner, or you have a networking problem that prevents the streaming server providing data in a timely manner. If they do run out then you will have clearly audible glitches - pops, muting, or in some cases looping of a buffer.

My mind is open to changes in evidence, but so far none has been presented.

Top Bottom