• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the best speaker to choose as a studio monitor without needing a dedicated subwoofer ???

KehaDNb

What is the best speaker to choose as a studio monitor without needing a dedicated subwoofer ???

Still in the plans for next year, but I thought I ask, why not. I sold my focal shape 50 used it in my old room. Regardless this wasn’t reaching the sun frequencies not in the right amount anyways. My new room still needs acoustic treatment, 2x2 metres.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Low piano note is 27.5Hz, and low 5 string bass guitar goes 31.5Hz.

I'd get something that gets close to those fundamentals.

Shouldn't be too hard to find if you don't want something tiny.

My "cheap" JBL LSR 308 fits that specification in use. The paperwork says "38hz".

With and without room correction type automated EQ at a 10 foot listening position:

My room has a hole around 48Hz.

1682611652487.png

They don't like to play terribly loudly, if you're into that, having only 50 watts or so in the chip amp.

If you want "best" folks will recommend Genelec or Neumann or ??? for much more money.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Neumann monitors seem to have pretty excellent bass if they fit your budget.

However, needing subs is not just about the speakers, but also the room. Even if your mains can do 20hz easily, you may still have nulls from 20-400hz or so, and adding subs is a good way to correct that.

caught gesture

Forum Donor

Still in the plans for next year, but I thought I ask, why not. I sold my focal shape 50 used it in my old room. Regardless this wasn’t reaching the sun frequencies not in the right amount anyways. My new room still needs acoustic treatment, 2x2 metres.
2 by 2 metres? You are thinking of reproducing low frequencies in a room this size using acoustic treatment? There will be room for your chair, the rest of the space will be rockwool!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2 by 2 metres? You are thinking of reproducing low frequencies in a room this size using acoustic treatment? There will be room for your chair, the rest of the space will be rockwool!
Cozy, though.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Devialet Phantom Reactors are small and can output significant bass nearfield even compared to large speakers.

A Genelec 8260 also does very well with deep bass.

So long as it's not a bass-lite archaic passive speaker, most monitors with 10" woofers will produce significant bass output.

The Mackie HR824 also comes to mind and being a good speaker for bass without a subwoofer.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
What's the budget? There are suggestions all over the map from $200 each to over $5000 each. Kali, JBL, Adam all good choices for the more budget conscious. Neumann and Genelec are great choices if you have a bigger budget.

Also, any size limitations? Speakers with bigger woofers tend to be larger speakers and will typically go lower in bass. If you have the option between a similar model one with a 5" woofer and one with an 8" woofer, typically the larger one will have play lower as well as louder and with less distortion when played loud. There are some models not too large that go lower but they typically won't play as loud. They trade off output for lower bass.

onion

Genelec Ones with W371a - the latter are woofers, not subwoofers

robwpdx

You might listen to the Barefoot MiniMain12 in your room. They are a sealed box with dual side firing subwoofers. People describe the highs as clinical. There are a few professional monitors with that idea. ATC has dual low driver models up to 15" in a ported box. People describe the highs as musical, but revealing. Some people seem to like for bass the German DSP Kii Three powered by Purifi. The KEF Muon is a nice sealed speaker with a low bass response without a sub.

We are all waiting for someone to buy the Present Day Production home built for about $8000/pair and send them in for testing. Active monitors with Hypex.

Last edited:
OP
K

KehaDNb

What do u guys think renting a garage, treat the garage and use it as a studio?

OP
K

KehaDNb

Garage idea would be bad. Not heated, moisture problems in the summer.

Top Bottom