• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is Mid-Fi?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's independent of sound quality good or bad, mass marketed obtainable and affordable to most. A term used by snobs to justify paying too much and subtle put down of those who don't see music playback gear as a hobby or sign of status. Everybody seems to have described it pretty well in their own terms sofar. MidFi is affordable trickle-down from HiFi or high end.

OP
D

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of the reasons i asked was that you see the term more often in reviews, and in youtube video's.and it made me curious.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I worked at sea in the 1990's which isn't that long ago I considered myself truly fortunate to be in the era of the CD as it meant I could carry a decent collection of great quality music with me. Just a handful of years earlier and it was compact cassettes and short wave radio. Now we take it for granted that we can have a lifetime of music in superb sound quality on a smartphone. There is a lot to be said for the commiditising of audio
Just looking at music in cars, I've gone from AM>FM>8-Track>Cassette>CD>CD Changer>BT from my phone. Lo-FI; Mdi-Fi; Hi-Fi - - don't care!

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too. Yamaha, Focal, Paradigm, & Sunfire. As good as I need, as much as I want to afford. Happy with all of it.
I think this kind of differentiates "audiophiles" from those of us who just want to listen to excellent music reproduction. Few audiophiles are "happy with what they have," from the standpoint they're always tweaking to find improvements.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a hilarious thread from Audiogon.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I like the bloke who thinks hi-fi starts at $40K MRSP. I've been in studios where they hadn't spent that much.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Actually much more sanity than I expected from Audiogon

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually much more sanity than I expected from Audiogon
There are a few members dedicated to puncturing the fever dreams of the regulars, but it’s useless. That site is like a cult.

Top Bottom