• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is better: CD transporter or. NAS to media player

silver12

Hello, just searching some cd player transporter to feed my DAC.... Also have Wiimpro media player and thinking if is better to buy NAS, which will be conected to Wiimpro and then to DAC. Just need some external CD for recording to NAS.

What do you think?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
If done correctly-no difference sound wise. Just a matter of convenience and invest.

I mainly use streaming content nowadays (eg Qobuz) and all my CDs are on my NAS (Synology 918+).

Last edited:

tc2007

Just to be sure, the NAS isn't directly connected to Wiim. It has to go through the network (DLNA). As long as your NAS supports DLNA.

radix

Major Contributor
If the CDs have flaws, generally a ripper can do a lot of reads and maybe get it, while a transport can only try so many times before having to interpolate. At least that's my understanding.

Personally, I almost always listen from NAS (Roon on the Synology). Though sometimes I do play a real CD for the novelty of it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't worry about the difference, but if you play the cd on receipt and it has no issues, unlikely if you rip it and play the rip from then on it would be anything but more convenient.....not much to be said about playing the disc after you rip it....

Top Bottom