• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is conductive.

An IEEE paper [1] states: ".. Silver sulfide is not a conductive material, and having a contact surface covered with a corrosion layer may decrease electrical conductivity significantly. The effect of corrosion on electrical properties of the contact depends mainly on the thickness of the corrosion layer .." -> Hence silver connectors are not common, but silver cable is.

[1}: https://www.corrosion-protect.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IJEEE-Case-Study-06-16.pdf#:~:text=Silver sulfide is not a conductive material, and,mainly on the thickness of the corrosion layer

DonR

Major Contributor
An IEEE paper [1] states: ".. Silver sulfide is not a conductive material, and having a contact surface covered with a corrosion layer may decrease electrical conductivity significantly. The effect of corrosion on electrical properties of the contact depends mainly on the thickness of the corrosion layer .." -> Hence silver connectors are not common, but silver cable is.

[1}: https://www.corrosion-protect.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IJEEE-Case-Study-06-16.pdf#:~:text=Silver sulfide is not a conductive material, and,mainly on the thickness of the corrosion layer
It's usually thin enough for even modest voltages to punch through but, yes, its orders of magnitude worse than silver.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's usually thin enough for even modest voltages to punch through but, yes, its orders of magnitude worse than silver.
In any case it offers zero as to audible change/improvement over plain copper.
It only lightens your wallet.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Canare L4E6S between the pre-amp to the sub and from the sub to monitors, Supra cables for optical and USB. Total overkill but it makes me feel good. :)

izeek

foslink minitoslink to toslink optical cca>pre
mediabridge ics and sub cables
custom canares 4s11 biamp cables ~10gauge
anker 3.5 to rca-pc>pre. rew/umik
3 audiocrast power cords 3/4" thick cable

sq225917

Major Contributor
I have a pair of silver foil speaker cables with crimp on plugs. The resistivity is no different if they are freshly polished or covered in black sulphide. I've cleaned them twice, measured them both times. No different on a 5 digit meter. So any difference is sub miliohm for a 3m pair.

DonR

Major Contributor
I have a pair of silver foil speaker cables with crimp on plugs. The resistivity is no different if they are freshly polished or covered in black sulphide. I've cleaned them twice, measured them both times. No different on a 5 digit meter. So any difference is sub miliohm for a 3m pair.
Doesn't take a lot to punch through the black tarnish.

nerdstrike

I use string. I have to wet it before each listening session, but I can create that authentic vinyl crackle and pop for less than a single LP. J/K

I have a couple of QED interconnects that have the main distinction of being really hard to unplug, some no name stuff from decades ago, some £10/m speaker cable and freebie banana plugs on the ends. Technically the HDMI cable is the most expensive interconnect, but I got that free... Seems to work ok!

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found a coaxial 75 ohm cable called Cordial CVM 06-37. The data sheet states that the capacitance is 67 pF/m. Is it just a mistake that they wrote 82 ohms/m? I calculate the resistance as 0.082 ohms/m. The shield can be used for the return wire. Really reasonable price, and the performance is probably the same as overpriced audiophile nonsense cables like Atlas Ailsa Achromatic RCA.

Other cables like power cables, USB cables and speaker cables are not really worth worrying about with properly designed equipment, and shielding a power cord or speaker cables can actually interfere with the normal function of the electromagnetic fields.

Attachments

• datasheet-602316-cordial-cvm-06-37-av-cable-1-x-022-mm-green-sold-per-metre.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought some new 2 ft. cables off eBay a couple of days ago which use REAN RCA plugs and Belden (1505A?) double braid shielded coax. Cost about $25 and seem just fine to me. At $25, easier to buy them than build them. But I must confess, I do like the style of the BJC LC-1 more, but I’d have to pay twice as much.

A1BEB05B-3F4D-4155-8078-5AED35F6B8A0.jpeg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I upgraded my speaker cables recently. The new ones are much blacker than the old ones. Dust, you know...

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Self-made cables, with microphone cable and Neutrik XLR connectors.
4mm2 stranded cable for speakers (probably overkill)

Last edited:
Top Bottom