• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

HoweSound

By all means, this! Type 57SC Atlantic No. 57591
A cool 40 mil.
R.a7a23e359463433c3b21b84bc2c2757b

ZAaPl6scS0NsIpqkE9rSjmUnZrc5cGAnB9PaWRrfndw.jpg

646159.jpg
It would look better if they trimmed off the flashing down the middle after they split the mold...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm pretty sure that's the same as the one my dad had when I was a kid; I reckon I used it more than he did. :)

It's probably still in a box somewhere.
The only SX-450 I ever had (dump find*) was afflicted with one dead channel.
I hate working on ss equipment -- so I gave it away.
They are cute little blighters.

(visible next to the bottom in this stack of BOTL receivers ;))

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hallicrafters S-120 general coverage radio.
Sweet, I thought I recognized it as a Hallicrafters but many of the Short wave radios were very similar looking.
I had a number of them way back when.
The only thing like that I have now is my Zenith "Racetrack" radio.
It tunes 5.5 > 18.5 megs, and of course AM, still works pretty well.
IMG_1820.JPG

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing hifi, nor terribly interesting actually. It is an entry level, AC-DC (i.e., transformerless, series-string "killer" chassis) Hallicrafters S-120 general coverage radio. It was given to me by one of the regional vacuum tube hifi gurus, and, not coincidentally, it holds a fair amount of sentimental value. :)
View attachment 356232
source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1965_allied_radio_catalog.html pg. 331

I have a small but also pretty motley collection of general coverage "communications receivers". :rolleyes:
Had a few Hallicrafters. Had a couple Collins SW receivers from the military too. Those were the best.
One of the Hallicrafters was one of their "portable" vacuum tube models that could be run on battery power.

Mrpinortiner

It would look better if they trimmed off the flashing down the middle after they split the mold...
The body is a magnesium alloy, very flammable to any welding, the flange is for riveting the body together.
Supercharged, 120 mph car pretty advanced for 1938.

Reactions: EJ3

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sweet, I thought I recognized it as a Hallicrafters but many of the Short wave radios were very similar looking.
I had a number of them way back when.
The only thing like that I have now is my Zenith "Racetrack" radio.
It tunes 5.5 > 18.5 megs, and of course AM, still works pretty well.
View attachment 356249
That is gorgeous.
Zenith was responsible for more than its share of visually striking radios -- good radios, too.
No "nice" Zeniths here, although I do have a nice Transoceanic given to me by a friend from our old town in Massachusetts.

transoceanic.jpg

It's not in the same league as your table model aesthetically, though.

Jimi Floyd

R.I.P. Marcello Gandini

Gandini-with-3-masterpieces-04-1280x720.jpg

Marcello Gandini passed away yesterday in his hometown Turin, where he was born in 1938. A designer who had a profound impact on the automobile history starting from the 1960s, in particular creating sports models. From 1966 to 1980 he was chief designer of Bertone, for which he designed some of the most famous supercars of the time, among which we remember: the Alfa Romeo 33 Carabo concept, the Lancia Stratos Zero, the Lamborghini Miura, Marzal and Countach, but also the Urraco, Jarama and Diablo. Alongside these super sports cars, in addition to the Lancia Stratos HF, Gandini also tried his hand at smaller cars, such as the Fiat X1/9, the Innocenti Mini 90 and 120, not to mention premium cars, such as the BMW 5 Series (E12). Thanks to his experience in mechanics and production, he was also interested in the industrial cycle, proposing innovative formulas for more efficient construction of vehicles. An all-round genius, with a spectacular and prolific pencil, he gave us some of the most beautiful cars of the last half century.

carabo-alfa-romeo.jpg

Alfa Romeo 33 Carabo

fiat-x1_9-2-1.jpg

Fiat X1/9

D_HUB.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal

vehicle_ad_standard_image_da773e5335e77ffa0d9963161c1c5958.jpg

Lamborghini Countach

57497_1701497075605.jpg

Lamborghini Miura

pb-20201118-0464.jpg

Lancia Stratos

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
One or two of theirs at the local radio museum. From what I remember their internals are very tidy too.
How I remember drooling over Collins gear back in the 1960-70s but never could afford
anything with that nameplate.. It was built to such a high standard of craftsmanship.

No "nice" Zeniths here, although I do have a nice Transoceanic given to me by a friend from our old town in Massachusetts.
That Transoceanic is AWESOME. Not at all a radio guy, my dad for some reason used to talk - dream of
owning one. Their value was just never in the wheelhouse of a poor family like ours.

Lamborghini Countach
OH MY, the Countach. Another unfulfilled dream of a young man.
I had a buddy that was selling cars for some high end dealer on the far west side of Chicago.
He promised me a ride in one so I went there like 3 times and he always had some excuse why
he couldn't take one out. BS bar stool talk it turned out. :mad:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How I remember drooling over Collins gear back in the 1960-70s but never could afford
anything with that nameplate.. It was built to such a high standard of craftsmanship.

That Transoceanic is AWESOME. Not at all a radio guy, my dad for some reason used to talk - dream of
owning one. Their value was just never in the wheelhouse of a poor family like ours.

OH MY, the Countach. Another unfulfilled dream of a young man.
I had a buddy that was selling cars for some high end dealer on the far west side of Chicago.
He promised me a ride in one so I went there like 3 times and he always had some excuse why
he couldn't take one out. BS bar stool talk it turned out. :mad:
Do you have a HAM Radio License @Sal1950? I regret not writing the HAM Radio license examination right after I studied for months in class The Principles of Electrical Circuits. I was told by my instructor of that study that I would be 100% ready to write the HAM Radio License exam and with my very good grades I would not need to study anything to write the exam. To have the HAM Radio License on my resume would be a very nice addition. Even though I am retired now..LoL... :D I do have a Motorola Radio and Trunking System Certification but that's not a HAM Radio License nor is it as difficult to acquire.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Do you have a HAM Radio License @Sal1950?
Oh I did back in the early 1960s.
Went to a class at Allied Radio on Western Ave in Chicago and got my code to 5wpm plus the
knowledge to pass the written exam for the Novice when I was about 13. I had my sights set on
the next level but right around that time I developed a real interest in girls. :p
So much for that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I did back in the early 1960s.
Went to a class at Allied Radio on Western Ave in Chicago and got my code to 5wpm plus the
knowledge to pass the written exam for the Novice when I was about 13. I had my sights set on
the next level but right around that time I developed a real interest in girls. :p
So much for that.
Yeah, women/girls at that age are a distraction...LoL... I dated from age 11'ish onwards with the next door neighbor's daughter for ~4 years. I won't get into it but my taste was horrible and she was a mental misfit de jour. Very psychologically messed up person for any age category (Suicidal tendencies and the whole shabang etc.). My mother was 100% right about that one. Sigh* Sorry Mom! I did choose the wrong one... RFLMA! But you know it seems to me other than the freedom and global range of a upper level HAM Radio License the communications freedom of the PC and internet does provide similar if not better COMs than a HAM License and radio setup. :D

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
iu

I liked what Sun did with the SPARCstation IPC, IPX, LX and Classic plus the external drive enclosures. The monitor shared the footprint too, so the cases worked well as a riser. What's less obvious is how easy they were to open - press a catch on either side towards the rear and the top would hinge up and forward. Most of the internals released with a catch, although a crosshead screwdriver was needed to remove the drives from their carrier. The pizza-box SPARCstation 1, 2 and 10 matched the height of the external drives and the thought put into the internals, but didn't stack so neatly with them. Later models added trim that took away from the clean lines for me.
iu

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But you know it seems to me other than the freedom and global range of a upper level HAM Radio License the communications freedom of the PC and internet does provide similar if not better COMs than a HAM License and radio setup. :D
For sure. The love of playing with the technology, etc of a Ham setup is the only attraction today.
The thought of being able to talk with anyone in the world at any moment has been clobbered by the
internet. Shoot you can dial up most numbers with a cell phone today.
How times have changed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure. The love of playing with the technology, etc of a Ham setup is the only attraction today.
The thought of being able to talk with anyone in the world at any moment has been clobbered by the
internet. Shoot you can dial up most numbers with a cell phone today.
How times have changed.
That and one does not have a huge antenna in the backyard advertising for punks...LoL. :D

Top Bottom