• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Oh what the hell. Haven't even posted this on a woodworking site. A box I recently created, ash from the firewood pile, bloodwood and leopard wood. Not sure I’d call it Industrial Design…more “Nuevo Tutankhamen.”

That looks fantastic, helluva nice and if that’s from the firewood pile I’d love to see what you could do with a bunch of veneers and fine grained wood

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Way, way OT, but I had that issue of Hot Rod. I would have been 12 and I used what money I had then on books and car mags. Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hod Rodding, R&T, etc.
I had several subscriptions to the various Hot Rod, Popular Mechanics, etc starting from when I was 8.
I asked for those for birthday/Christmas presents.
I started a lawncare service when I was 10, so that I could get my first motorcycle (A new Honda CL 175) when I was 14 (I would turn 15 in March & got my drivers license)/
Also the book 'The Way Things Work' I think was the title.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 2 car magazines i drooled over as a kid was Mustang Monthly and Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords I paid for them myself with my paper route money!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had several subscriptions to the various Hot Rod, Popular Mechanics, etc starting from when I was 8.
I asked for those for birthday/Christmas presents.
I started a lawncare service when I was 10, so that I could get my first motorcycle (A new Honda CL 175) when I was 14 (I would turn 15 in March & got my drivers license)/
Also the book 'The Way Things Work' I think was the title.
Now there's a man who has his priorities right! ;)

JiiPee

Volvo is not know for their cars or SUVs in the industrial world. They have been and are still one of the largest manufactures
in the industrial worlds. Power plant, marine and industrial are their biggest money makers. No different than John Deere.
Industrial JD far out sells their Green Brand in dollars and cents.

Cat is know for large equipment? CAT is know for industrial engine/powertrain and Generators even more so. In the world
I worked in, Cat, Liebherr, Komatsu, Terex, Bauer, in just about that order. Volvo powers a LOT of that equipment because
they can meet the TIERing laws for much of the western world. Deutz is the same as far as diesel/lpg. They meet or exceed
most export/import EPA/ARB laws.

The only thing nice about anything older than 30 years is the taillights. Give me a brand new Roller and a driver. I'll send
someone to pick up supplies in anything 96 or newer. OBD II at least.

Sure, but Volvo Group - a Swedish corporation listed in Stockholm stock exchange and gathering industrial market, as You mentioned, and Volvo Cars - also listed in Stockholm stock exchange, but stock majority owned by Geely from China, are two separate companies. They parted ways in 1990s when the car-business was sold to Ford. For historical reasons, they both still use the Volvo logo.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Marantz 2270, IMO still the best looking receiver ever made.
Considering what they go for used today, I think many agree with me.
96f8d6b04e1140f2b3b2edc7136d3367.jpg

DMill

Forum Donor
Always loved the 70’s Yamahas. Admittedly Biased…my father had one and the hifi bug has been with me ever since. Not classic like the Marantz, but visually cool, efficient, and exuded quality.
I would argue that the Yamaha design was absolutely classic. Every bit as much as Marantz. Beautiful amp.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Always loved the 70’s Yamahas. Admittedly Biased…my father had one and the hifi bug has been with me ever since. Not classic like the Marantz, but visually cool, efficient, and exuded quality. View attachment 356216
Well... you triggered me.
You know what I'm a-gonna do now...

so... yeah... me, too.

;) :cool::facepalm:

Golf

I’ve never been quite comfortable with the front design of Yamaha’s audio gear. That somewhat cruel mixture of round and edgy forms was always kind of irritating to me.

What I very well do like here is the stark asymmetric placement of the top panel grill :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would argue that the Yamaha design was absolutely classic. Every bit as much as Marantz.
It was that unique Gyro-Touch Tuning wheel that pushed them over the top. :p
Well... you triggered me.
You know what I'm a-gonna do now..
What's the receiver on the top right with all the tuning bands?

Ken1951

By all means, this! Type 57SC Atlantic No. 57591
A cool 40 mil.
R.a7a23e359463433c3b21b84bc2c2757b

ZAaPl6scS0NsIpqkE9rSjmUnZrc5cGAnB9PaWRrfndw.jpg

646159.jpg
Only 2 of the 3 are still mostly original. I'd be surprised if one of those 2 could be bought for even that price. The 57SC Atlantic is indeed one of the most beautiful cars ever built because the people who own them don't need the money. Ralph Lauren has some of the most important cars in his collection: MB SSK, Jag D-Type and SK-SS, Ferrari 250 GTO and 250 TR (Pontoon Fenders). All of which are stunningly beautiful.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Only 2 of the 3 are still mostly original. I'd be surprised if one of those 2 could be bought for even that price. The 57SC Atlantic is indeed one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

Didn't Legendary Motor Cars in Canada hand build a copy of one of these Bugatti's ?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It was that unique Gyro-Touch Tuning wheel that pushed them over the top. :p

What's the receiver on the top right with all the tuning bands?
Nothing hifi, nor terribly interesting actually. It is an entry level, AC-DC (i.e., transformerless, series-string "killer" chassis) Hallicrafters S-120 general coverage radio. It was given to me by one of the regional vacuum tube hifi gurus, and, not coincidentally, it holds a fair amount of sentimental value. :)
1710374433621.jpeg

source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1965_allied_radio_catalog.html pg. 331

I have a small but also pretty motley collection of general coverage "communications receivers". :rolleyes:

Ken1951

Didn't Legendary Motor Cars in Canada hand build a copy of one of these Bugatti's ?
No, It was another Canadian shop, The Guild of Automotive Restorers. And they built a copy of the Bugatti Aerolithe. A single copy of that car was built by Bugatti and disappeared. The Guild used period photos to construct their copy.

bugatti-aerolithe-vintage-car-angle.jpg

Top Bottom