• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG Has there ever been a cooler, better styled ride than the 1950's 2dr wagons?
Compare that to the tiny crapboxes they build today, you have to walk right up and read the name
on the tag to tell one from the other. :facepalm:
A workmate when working the nightshift together was carpooling with me and vice versa and we rode in his 57 Chevy and it was awesome. Rode like a truck, had lotsa power and was huge inside. A real piece of art. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well I own one of these '23 crapboxes, 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds, hauls crap in the back and I am very happy with it. The '56 Nomad will never be duplicated, so I get your point.
But I could tell this 56 Parklane from the 56 Nomad at 2 blocks away.
What year and model did you say yours was ??? ;)

1956_Ford_Parklane_Stationwagon.jpg

Reactions: EJ3

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But I could tell this 56 Parklane from the 56 Nomad at 2 blocks away.
What year and model did you say yours was ??? ;)

1956_Ford_Parklane_Stationwagon.jpg
Sigh* Are you not familiar with the new Volvos Dood? They are individualistic and pretty hot looking all around. Volvo really got their stuff together recently and redesigned the models for the better. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sigh* Are you not familiar with the new Volvos Dood? They are individualistic and pretty hot looking all around. Volvo really got their stuff together recently and redesigned the models for the better. :D
???? WTF is a Volvo ???? LOL

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
???? WTF is a Volvo ???? LOL
It's not like Harley that's for sure.. Rflmao. I suggest you peek at the Volvo web page and take a gander at the stuff. For giggles or for the experience. The customer service is supposed to be to die for as in really good. :D Lotsa HP and torque too. I drove a new Volvo that a buddy let me drive when he was impaired and it was a dream to drive. Lotsa torque.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Klemm Bohrtechnik
pic 102 are two of the hydraulic MCV that are digital/electric over hydraulic
pic 128 are the Remote controls to move the spools in the MCV via digital CANN buss
pic 026 is the tie-back machine crawler that the aforementioned controls are on.

They control 5 hydraulic pumps that run 4-5,000 psi. The two main pumps are for tramming/tracking
and running the drifter/rotary in the back and a rotary head for driving casing in the front.
The other three are lower volume but still HP pumps at over 250bar.

Three are load sensing pumps and two are gear pumps hooked to a load sensing MCV.

They control the FEED pushing and extraction of casing and drill steal.

A drifter is a HAMMER that is controlled by frequency and stroke coupled to a powerful rotary section.

These same machines can bore and core an existing column like the San Rafael bridge retrofit.
40 meters within .250 top to bottom and within .250 from the outside of the steel reinforced old column
That is a different attachment.

Everyone is custom built for that customer and brother they require maintenance 3 time a day.

Cost per depending on the size of the machine and drive system (electric or Diesel) 225-650,000 USD in 2018

They can pay for every part of a job and pay a crew of 5 140-250K each per year and pay for the machine in less than a
2080 hr year. They usually work 10-14 hr shifts. Maintenance is 3 times a day. Repaires (if needed) 10-14 hr per day.

Theses machined can last 10,000 hours and be reconditioned to last another 10,000.

They did make up to 10 -15 times their cost NET, depending on the operator and the crews attention to detail

Yes I did install a stereo in a few Bauer cab machines. 24VDC

They are my favorite as far as technical innovation, digital precision (compared to 25 years before). Twice the production
25% reduction in fuel consumption and TIER 4.

The most difficult load possible will still only visually produce a huge expulsion of HEAT out of the exhaust, NO SMOKE.
The engine warms up in 1 minute above 35 degrees and 2 minutes for below 35 degrees F. 5 minutes for hydraulic oil
warm up.

100 hours for complete break-in and retightening every external hex, (over 5000 checks.)

The 100 hour service is a 2 person 16-24 hours total. Except the hydraulic oil every box, final drive, engine oil is drained and samples taken.

I've done a lot less maintenance on aircraft.

A large drifter can cost 110k the one on the rear of that machine was 75,000 usd at the time, NEW.

Drilling or breaking a hole deep is one thing, getting your drill string BACK is another.

Vertical large bore machines 1-3 meters wide X 20-30 meters deep X 5-30 aren't uncommon for anchors at terminal end of a bridge.

Tunnel boring, trench cutters are a whole different story, BUT just a conglomeration of several hydraulic circuits doing different things.

And people think stereo gear is difficult to understand. That orange BOX if you only knew how many processors are joined by that buss alone.

That same MCV in analog had 80 addition 1/4" 2000 psi hoses hooked to them vs 2 wire digital CRC. That remote control arm was full with remote
hosing vs CRC 2 wire. Every single remote had at least 1/2 dozen pots for ramps. Amazing to watch one work and flushing.

It's the dirtiest job on earth. Head to toe grout in rain gear every day. Chuck tenders, don't mess with those guys LOL. Hercules would stand
a better chance.

I kid you NOT they use directional fuses for the GPS/PIN point 5-24dvc cabling. XYZ .250 location. The first place I saw it. It was made by
a german company 25 years + ago. They didn't go bad often but they did fail. Bussmaster?

BTW pic 149 is a VOLVO diesel in the same chassis Deutz, both inline 6 cylinder TIER 4 with dual turbo and after burners.

Attachments

• 20170508_091102[1].jpg
    20170508_091102[1].jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170508_082128[1].jpg
    20170508_082128[1].jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170508_082026[1].jpg
    20170508_082026[1].jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170508_082149[1].jpg
    20170508_082149[1].jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: EJ3

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Love the Nomad wagons, which owe their styling to the 1953 concept. But as far as current wagons/suvs go, I never have any difficulty telling them apart, but that's just me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm a big fan of the Steampunk school of design and immediately fell in love
with the HiFi Rose RA180 at first sight. That geared volume control was the
big winner for me. I wonder if it feels as kool as it looks? I would hope for.

1122rose.promo_.jpg

1122rose.1.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1710122115632.jpeg

I cannot see that HiFi Rose amplifier (or preamp, or whatever it is) without thinking of the venerable Argus C3 35 mm camera -- "The Brick".

The C3 was quite deliberately made and styled to look just a little more complex, complicated, and precision than it actually was.
They were incredibly popular
Fortunately, they took (take) fairly decent photographs.

Camera Collector Jason Schneider, although not specifically of the C3, referred to the design aesthetic that (seemingly) informs the C3 as imitation precision.
We do see it in hifi, too -- more than occasionally, actually. ;)
1710122255494.jpeg

Attachments

• 1710122203444.jpeg
    1710122203444.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 17

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a failed Swedish carmaker that now sells Chinese cars with Volvo branding.
I was hoping that the front seats folded backwards flat & the rear seats folded forward to make a big flat bed to make love in at the lovers lane! (Like the 1969 Rambler station wagon that I always borrowed from my dad when I was going out on a hot date).
Because her high heels would rip the headliner when using the back seat of my 68 SS 396 Chevelle.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a big fan of the Steampunk school of design and immediately fell in love
with the HiFi Rose RA180 at first sight. That geared volume control was the
big winner for me. I wonder if it feels as kool as it looks? I would hope for.
When I first saw the HiFi Rose RA180 in magazines I was both thrilled and horrified at the same time. I am glad it exists, but it is definitely not something I would want to own.

This morning when this thread popped up again, I decided to revisit it in its entirety... some really lust worthy items here... beautiful cars, architecture, furniture snd other objects... also some really odd choices too.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was hoping that the front seats folded backwards flat & the rear seats folded forward to make a big flat bed to make love in at the lovers lane! (Like the 1969 Rambler station wagon that I always borrowed from my dad when I was going out on a hot date).
Because her high heels would rip the headliner when using the back seat of my 68 SS 396 Chevelle.
The older Volvo station wagons were useful for carting around harpsichords. I suspect the huge loading area would make them superior for sleeping and other horizontal activities.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Putting myself out on a limb here, as I designed and built it. Industrial design, perhaps loosely defined.
View attachment 92863Coffee table in the media room. Thanks to my wife, it’s called “The gee honey, that sure is different” table. ;)
Very nice table... padauk and white oak? Here is a "statement" table I created when I was in design school back in the '80s.

Aquarium Table.jpg

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pantone Chair (Special Edition by Vitra)

View attachment 148397
This chair influenced me. While in school I did an internship at Don Chadwick's office. (Co-designer of the Herman Miller Equa and Aeron chairs) I combined the flowing rhythm of the Pantone chair with the ergonomics I learned while working with Don... I came up with this absolutely impractical solution, but it was comfortable.

Ribbon Chair.jpg

Ribbon Chair Flexure.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The older Volvo station wagons were useful for carting around harpsichords. I suspect the huge loading area would make them superior for sleeping and other horizontal activities.
Back in the late 70's or early 80's they had an interesting turbo model that a colleague owned.
Unfortunately I only saw it but was never in it, so I have no idea of any of the possible permutations of accommodations in it.
I was pretty quick & apparently handled well (as I did ride behind it, next to it, etc. in various other vehicles.

JiiPee

It's a failed Swedish carmaker that now sells Chinese cars with Volvo branding.
Your characterization of Volvo is somewhat misleading. While it is owned by the Chinese nowadays, the cars are still designed and developed in Sweden, and most of them are still manufactured in Sweden. Volvo's Chinese manufacturing plants build the (Swedish designed and developed) Volvos sold in Asia, while Swedish manufacturing plants build Volvos for the rest of the world (with the exception of some SUVs for the American market, that are built in South Carolina)

Top Bottom