• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the pros/cons of both front and rear ported monitors?

MattJ

In my experience, front ported speakers are somewhat less demanding in room placement, owing to the port facing into the large area of the room. The caveat with that is that port noise (if there is any) will be directed right at the listening position. Rear ported speakers should have less audible port noise, as the port faces away from the listening position. The caveat is that distance to the rear wall becomes more critical as the port may "overload" the bass if too close. I would assume that group delay may also be somewhat worse with a rear port, but I am unsure how audible group delay is at bass frequencies in any case.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Technically, I don't think it makes much difference in a well-designed speaker (unless the speaker is very-close to the wall). At 100Hz, the wavelength is about 11 feet and low frequencies tend to be non-directional.

It's probably mostly because there is more room on the rear-panel or maybe the manufacturer thinks it looks better if you don't see the port.

MattJ

puppet

One con I can think of with a rear port is that it might end up being in a straight line with the backside of the woofer cone.

Katji

Major Contributor
Ohh, that is probably why my Edifiers have oval ports - at the back.

Top Bottom