• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are some ribbons microphones with big bang for the buck?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for everyone's input. Right now I'm leaning toward either a Royer R10 or the Samar AL95. I was looking at the Cascade X-15, and sort of like the Vin-Jets for a more vintage type sound going by specs. A Beyer SM130 is an interesting idea. Apparently almost completely flat 100 hz-8 khz, but a steep drop above and below. Maybe it is mostly a voice mic I don't know.

In any case some of the other suggestions I had not looked into so thanks. It gave me more ideas.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
Thanks for everyone's input. Right now I'm leaning toward either a Royer R10 or the Samar AL95. I was looking at the Cascade X-15, and sort of like the Vin-Jets for a more vintage type sound going by specs. A Beyer SM130 is an interesting idea. Apparently almost completely flat 100 hz-8 khz, but a steep drop above and below. Maybe it is mostly a voice mic I don't know.

In any case some of the other suggestions I had not looked into so thanks. It gave me more ideas.
What will you be using the ribbon mic's on? Which source will you be recording?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What will you be using the ribbon mic's on? Which source will you be recording?
Whatever I come across. Most of my recording is of small groups with acoustic instruments. Plus vocalists. Anything from someone's basement to a small bar, to medium sized church. So stringed instruments, some flutes, violins, and vocals.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
Whatever I come across. Most of my recording is of small groups with acoustic instruments. Plus vocalists. Anything from someone's basement to a small bar, to medium sized church. So stringed instruments, some flutes, violins, and vocals.
Nice. I highly recommend DPA microphones for those applications. Enjoy your endeavors!

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. I highly recommend DPA microphones for those applications. Enjoy your endeavors!
DPA makes excellent mikes. I don't think they make a figure 8 condenser though that is not a requirement. I have some SDCs, MDCs, and LDCs, just wanted to try some ribbons. DPAs are a little beyond the budget for me. I don't do this for a living so a hobby. My current favorite microphones are the WA84s clones of the Neumann KM84s. Don't know how accurate the cloning is, but they are very nice microphones.

ChrisG

Just a passing note that the SE Electronics VR1 is the flattest and most extended ribbon I've ever found. It's been a little while since I measured them, but IIRC mine were flat about to about 10kHz and gradually rolled off above that. If you wanted to, a touch of HF boost would get them flat to 20kHz.

Of course, that means they sound more like a condenser than a ribbon. They're super-compact, and have useful output levels. A useful device overall, but IMO they don't do the "big/warm/classic" ribbon thing that some people might be looking for.

The VR2 adds a phantom-powered internal preamp with lots of gain. Might be useful, but even connected to not-particularly-expensive digital mixing desks (QSC TM30, A&H SQ6), I've never run out of gain.

I don't use my VR1s much any more, having taken the step up towards Austrian Audio OC818s and some Schoeps. Probably overkill for a live stage, but they make life easy for me.

Chris

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a passing note that the SE Electronics VR1 is the flattest and most extended ribbon I've ever found. It's been a little while since I measured them, but IIRC mine were flat about to about 10kHz and gradually rolled off above that. If you wanted to, a touch of HF boost would get them flat to 20kHz.

Of course, that means they sound more like a condenser than a ribbon. They're super-compact, and have useful output levels. A useful device overall, but IMO they don't do the "big/warm/classic" ribbon thing that some people might be looking for.

The VR2 adds a phantom-powered internal preamp with lots of gain. Might be useful, but even connected to not-particularly-expensive digital mixing desks (QSC TM30, A&H SQ6), I've never run out of gain.

I don't use my VR1s much any more, having taken the step up towards Austrian Audio OC818s and some Schoeps. Probably overkill for a live stage, but they make life easy for me.

Chris
I have looked at those VR1 and VR2 Voo Doo ribbons. They just missed making my cut. I don't quite want the old, old ribbon sound, but just a touch of it. I do like the size. One thing that appeals to me about the AL95 is also the small size. And that it is a pistonic ribbon which should be a little more durable.

radix

Major Contributor
There was some discussion of ribbon mics in this thread, beginning on page 2.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gosh, this is interesting, at $999:

WA-44 Studio Ribbon Microphone

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 12.25.39 AM.png

Top Bottom