• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your endgame speaker setup for critical listening?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
david-geffen-hall-renovation-new-york-sq.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Think big!

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sometimes I dream about “better” speakers and I am currently able to afford something quite a bit more expensive than my PSB T2’s. Maybe those ML stats Imused to lust after. Then I listen and wonder how much better it would be. BTW, I think ”critical listening” is for critics. I might do this for a few minutes after installing a new component or repairing something. Other than that, I listen for enjoyment, not criticizing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I dream about “better” speakers and I am currently able to afford something quite a bit more expensive than my PSB T2’s. Maybe those ML stats Imused to lust after. Then I listen and wonder how much better it would be. BTW, I think ”critical listening” is for critics. I might do this for a few minutes after installing a new component or repairing something. Other than that, I listen for enjoyment, not criticizing.
It's open for debate, but I take "critical listening" to mean paying attention to only the music. No reading, wandering about, chatting with friends etc.

audiofooled

I am very happy with my DIY setup so I'd put the money in a treated, dedicated listening room, a man cave if you will.

rwortman

Forum Donor
It's open for debate, but I take "critical listening" to mean paying attention to only the music. No reading, wandering about, chatting with friends etc.
I guess the audio world can redefine words. Everyone else does.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose "serious listening" might have been a more appropriate title, since few of us here will be using our speakers to mix or master.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I guess the audio world can redefine words. Everyone else does.

Not so much, it just means listening attentively like a critic, or listening where the music is critical, not incidental.

I suppose "serious listening" might have been a more appropriate title, since few of us here will be using our speakers to mix or master.

As opposed to casual listening. But I try not to be too serious. :)

napfkuchen

My cost no object dream speakers would be in the same vein. Ideally the room would be purpose built with an acoustically transparent wall to hide the massive and not terribly attractive speakers... and could come in handy for double blind tests as well.

I have heard the Meyer Sound Blue Horns a few times and they are truly stunning.
Looks very interesting, in a recent talk on audioholics about spacial audio, speaker placement etc. they were also given high praise. :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
don't have unlimited budget but I could go mad if I really wanted to. Kii3 or JBL4367 are the current top of my tree (of the speakers I have actually listened to).

I don't often 'listen critically' nowadays. As long as there's nothing in the sound that is bugging me I can just enjoy the music. So maybe it would be a waste of money.

When you don't have the means to buy it you really want it but then when you do have the means you discover you're no longer that bothered. Ironic.

OP
D

Diplo

My cost no object dream speakers would be in the same vein. Ideally the room would be purpose built with an acoustically transparent wall to hide the massive and not terribly attractive speakers... and could come in handy for double blind tests as well.

I have heard the Meyer Sound Blue Horns a few times and they are truly stunning.

View attachment 276212
How would you describe them?
I’ve read Manny Marroquin uses these.

steve59

Major Contributor
the best sound from my listening room. I don't expect i'll bother with the meta upgrade since the Blade already delt with the backwave from the uniq driver I don't expect the differences to be nearly as dramatic as with the other kef models.

Attachments

• 20230218_174318 - Copy.jpg
    20230218_174318 - Copy.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 68

sunandmoon

I don't really have a reference for "end game", but these are visually enticing, and I really like the nod to the classic large monitor with the 2 x 15"

Ciobi69

id say kef blade or similar state of the art engineered and beatiful speaker

Keith_W

Major Contributor
In a living environment, I think I would go for MBL or vintage JBL Everest DD55000. Critical listening solo isn’t much fun. Focused music listening is more fun with friends, and the sweet spot widening capabilities of MBL omnipolars and JBL asymmetrical horns are genuinely a more satisfying experience than the ultra resolution of a single seat (imho).

I was lucky enough to hear a pair of MBL 101E's a few days ago. It rekindled my love for MBL's :)

But then I still prefer aspects of my own speaker. It is much more transparent and dynamic. I have Acapella horns, which have been modified so that they are active, with a digital crossover and DSP everything. I have owned them for 15 years now, and to me they are close to perfect. As long as you don't move from the sweet spot!

Top Bottom