• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s a pre tuner

Patience needed : I’m a newbie to all this home cinema technology. I’ve acquired an unused pre-tuner Marantz AV8003 which supports everything right up to just before Dolby atmos. It’s a serious piece of equipment which still retail’s some places at £2,500. I have never heard of a pre-tuner or pre-amp before. I was wondering if I could combine it with an Onkyo Tx Nr686 which does support Dolby atmos and still receive the Atmos? Or if there’s any other way I could use the Marantz to receive Dolby atmos? Any advice would be greatly appreciated but please be gentle with all the technical jargon. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can't find anything when searching for "Marantz AV8303" or "Marantz 8303". Are you sure that's the right brand and model number?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome!

If you take the amplification out of an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) it becomes an Audio Video Processor, or Preamp Processor meant to feed amplifiers that then go to speakers.

This has 7.1 output (XLR option which is nice), which would then plug into either powered speakers directly, or into amplifier inputs that go to the speakers.

Your Onkyo doesn't have 7.1 analog inputs, so I don't really see a way to connect the two.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Marantz AV8003 is a "pre-tuner" which means that it needs an external power amp(s) with sufficient channels to drive all of your speakers. If Atmos, that's at least 7 channels. Do you have such an amp?

Maybe the Marantz HDMI output could be connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the Onkyo and the latter used solely for power? It's a funky configuration, though, and I don't see what it offers over using the Onkyo alone. I don't think such an arrangement will pass Atmos from the source through the Marantz to the Onkyo, but you never know. Any Atmos sources will likely need to be connected to the Onkyo.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this is just a preamp processor w/ an am/fm tuner

that's it

you will need a power amp to feed every channel of the marantz

i doubt the onkyo has 7 channel inputs

marantz would love to sell you their matching 8000 series power amp

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Marantz gear you acquired is a Pre/Pro. It is a Preamplifier with Processing capabilities. For the Marantz to play one sound on your speakers to play, it must be connected to a a set of external amplifiers... If you have 7 speakers, regardless that they came as one or several boxes, this or these amplifiers represent a total of 7 channels .. TO make things simple, the subwoofers usually have built-in their own amp....
Your Onkyo Tx Nr686 is an AVR, an Audio Vidéo Receiver, It has a Preamplifier and the required complement of amplifiers built in... plus a tuner, a thing to receive radio stations.. thus they call this a Receiver...
Your Onkyo can decode Atmos, but it has only one stereo Line output i-e, one left and one right, It doesn't have 7 or more output outputs, one for each of the channels it is capable of decoding. We're not counting its subwoofer output in this ..

Simply put : You can 't use the Onkyo with the Marantz.. It is one or the other:
Option 1: the Marantz, perhaps a better unit , perhaps; with a set of amplifers to power the speakers. Please be aware you wont (can't) enjoy Atmos decoding.
or
Option 2: Your Onkyo that, by its lonesome will power the speakers and do Atmos...

You can't use Both...

Solutions:
1) Return the Marantz and you have Atmos decoding capabilities, keeping in mind you will need a new set of speakers for the Atmos-thing... or
2) Return the Onkyo , buy some amplifiers for the Marantz.. NO Atmos, no way. You need additional amplifiers, if you ask here, we will gladly suggest some to you... But you can't and won't have Atmos.

Peace.

Top Bottom