• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

PjV

Long time lurker here.
Currently I have 2 sets playing, but I mostly listen to a 3rd ‘set’ (Moode player on RPi Zero 2W + UGreen USBC Dac and DT880 headphones) in my home office.
Set 1: Moode on RPI 3A+, Allo DigiOne, Dynaudio AIR (2x Air 15, Air Base 12 + Air Remote)
Set 2: Moode on RPi 3A+, Allo Piano 2.1, JDS Atom+, PreSonus E8 XT

jazzboy

Well done and even more so for making it an open source design that others can try if they're so inclined.

JSmith
Many thanks! I enjoy accessible high quality sound and open source is great because someone can build one and I can continue to sell limited edition builds. The days of patents are numbered for many reasons, so open source is a great choice. The drive tech, SimpleFOC, I use for the motor is open source as well as is Arduino used to program the whole shebang.

CPTX

IMG_6679.jpeg
IMG_6678.jpeg
Hello all; Excellent forum. My audio fanaticism was imprinted on me by my father playing his awesome record collection on the weekends at high volume via his full metal amplifier with all those clicky switches and knobs then through huge British speakers.

I am frugal and mostly use a Qudelix 5K with headphones and IEMs…and I utilize a cheap DIY DML/XPS panel speakers + subwoofer with a Dayton Audio BT amplifier to watch the movies my other family members won’t enjoy (Sci Fi/Action Adventure)

Thank you

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR.

As long as you enjoy what you have that's the most important part!

CPTX

Thank you. I have thoroughly enjoyed it all for decades and decades often at higher volumes than appropriate (some lower treble auditory loss)

UT student radio DJ, lots and lots of concerts in smaller clubs up front, and plenty of closed back headphone use so my roommates/girlfriends/wife/children could have peace and quiet.

I’ve had within reason expensive audio (frugal) by nature and now live with a much lower powered set up in my family approved man cave area while they watch rom coms and Kdramas.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am frugal and mostly use a Qudelix 5K with headphones and IEMs…

Welcome!

Nothing wrong with frugal, especially these days when you can get such a selection of great gear for such reasonable prices. I've got the Qudelix too and am still impressed by that little thing.

I moved your post here so it's less likely to get lost in the flow.

CPTX

Thank you for the relocation….much better here.

Prior to the Qudelix I utilized the EarstudioES100MK2. It was awesome until after one of the updates, it started dropping bluetoooth connection to my phone at times quite regularly.

CPTX

The headphones I use the most. Sivga Robin SV021
Incredibly fun and warm experience with EQ
I have a large head and small ears, so these headphones fit me very well and comfortably….certainly not the most accurate or detailed headphone, but very enjoyable semi open warmth.

IMG_6681.jpeg

pferdeworscht

Hello everyone,

Lars from Germany here. I've been following this community for a few years now and was guided to all my recent purchases of audio gear.
A big thanks to all of you and especially to amirm for your awesome work! I really appreciate the objective information and discussion given here.

Briefly about me: Atm I'm a physicist in the field of optics (until September).
I love music of various styles (but metalhead by heart), which led me here when I was looking for my first DAC/HP amp (in 2020). I'm a beginner concerning audio and will remain one^^
I mean, I understand enough of the technical aspects to get a pleasurable experience for my music listening. However, I'm glad this forum exists, so I can delve into objective information from time to time to slowly learn and gain more knowledge about audio gear, acoustics etc. (This hobby closely follows my passion for whisky in terms of recreational activity/time consumption.)

Regards to all.
Lars

TV/Laptop -> SMSL DO100 -> Neumann KH 120II
PC -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (4th Gen) -> Adam T5V

PC -> Schiit Modi+ -> Schiit Magni Heretic -> Headphone
PC -> Khadas Tone Board -> JDS Atom -> Headphone
PC -> Fiio K5Pro -> Headphone
(Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Black Edition, Beyerdynamic MMX 300, AKG K702, Truthear Zero Red, Linsoul 7Hz x Crinnacle Zero:2)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Lars from Germany here. I've been following this community for a few years now and was guided to all my recent purchases of audio gear.
A big thanks to all of you and especially to amirm for your awesome work! I really appreciate the objective information and discussion given here.

I love music of various styles (but metalhead by heart), which led me here when I was looking for my first DAC/HP amp (in 2020). I'm a beginner concerning audio and will remain one^^
I mean, I understand enough of the technical aspects to get a pleasurable experience for my music listening. However, I'm glad this forum exists, so I can delve into objective information from time to time to slowly learn and gain more knowledge about audio gear, acoustics etc. (This hobby closely follows my passion for whisky in terms of recreational activity/time consumption.)

Regards to all.
Lars

(Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Black Edition, Beyerdynamic MMX 300, AKG K702, Truthear Zero Red, Linsoul 7Hz x Crinnacle Zero:2)
Welcome to ASR @pferdeworscht. :D

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Regards to all.
Lars

Was hoping you were Lars from Metallica. No offense but that would be fun. I spent a good portion of my career as ad agency creative working for Bausch + Lomb. The optical industry is fascinating and at times I miss how smart it is. Now working on beer/wine/spirits. For me this has been the best site to learn about audio since I cared about hifi probably back in the early 90s. Lots of different opinions but it’s all really thoughtful.

pferdeworscht

Thank you.

A man after my own heart....
Glad to hear. I would say Slàinte, but I just had my breakfast ;)

Was hoping you were Lars from Metallica. No offense but that would be fun. I spent a good portion of my career as ad agency creative working for Bausch + Lomb. The optical industry is fascinating and at times I miss how smart it is. Now working on beer/wine/spirits. For me this has been the best site to learn about audio since I cared about hifi probably back in the early 90s. Lots of different opinions but it’s all really thoughtful.
Would be awesome, but unfortunately no :D

I spent a good portion of my career as ad agency creative working for Bausch + Lomb. The optical industry is fascinating and at times I miss how smart it is. Now working on beer/wine/spirits.
I'm in fundamental scientific research. As whisky is my passion (and I'm from a beer and wine region), beer/wine/spirits is great as well^^

JaguarIT

Hi there ASR folks!

I'm in the middle of the continental US and I enjoy learning about surprisingly good, inexpensive audio equipment, which can mostly only be found through objective testing, so I really enjoy this site. Thank you! I have the following iems - 7Hz Zero, 7Hz Zero x Crinacle, Artti R2, Tangzu Wan'er, Fiio Ex1, Hifiman RE800, RHA MH650. The following headphones - Martin-Logan Mikros-90, hifiman HE-350. The following sources - LG V60, Fiio M3K, Shanling M1s. I've been collecting and enjoying music since I was a child and involved in the audiophile world for more than a decade. I grew up on vinyl, then cassettes came about, then CDs, and finally Napster and the streaming revolution that followed and now we are back to vinyl, lol.

With that said, I would like to encourage this community, on the behalf of music artists world-wide, especially less well-known artists, to not solely use music streaming services, but actually buy their content. Unfortunately, of all the content delivery systems, streaming services (Spotify, Tidal, etc.) pay the least to artists - even less than radio.

My favorite distributor is Bandcamp. 85% of every Bandcamp sale goes directly to the artist, which is far, far more than any other distributor including Apple, Google and Amazon who only send 70% of a sale to the artists, so if you want to enable artists to live off their art it's by far the best method to do so. Artists offer merch, vinyl, CD, sometimes cassette, and digital formats and unlike with other services, once you buy music from an artist on Bandcamp it's always yours, including digital. If you make digital purchase, you can redownload as many non-DRM copies as you ultimately need of a track or an album, and stream your purchases free through the Bandcamp app, and you can download your purchases in almost any format you want including WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, etc. This sometimes means hires and you can communicate directly to artists through Bandcamp, so if you want to encourage an artist to make hires available, you can.

In addition, unsigned and signed artists can easily self-list on Bandcamp and are very aware that it offers them the best payment terms, so virtually all new artists are most easily found on Bandcamp as well. Tens of thousands of new artists release material within all music genres on Bandcamp every year, which you will not find on Tidal because they often don't have the resources for hires mastering and which you will not find easily on Spotify, due to the ease of manipulating the Spotify algorithms, and even if you find them, at most they'll make a few cents from your replay of their music, which is hundreds of times less than they make from the sale of a digital album, CD, or vinyl purchase you make on Bandcamp.

I mention this, because Bandcamp never comes up in audiophile forums, but what's the point of great gear if the artists can't live off their art? Audiophiles are music lovers, I presume, no? I'm not in any way affiliated with Bandcamp, I just know lots of small-time artists and I know that Bandcamp never comes up in audiophile forums and sites.

Thanks again ASR!

Last edited:

MarkBee123

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
New member here. Just starting to dive in to the depths of riches in these forums. I am currently upgrading my whole audio world, with the exception of my home theater setup which consists of a JVC RS520 projector onto a DIY Da lite HD pro screen 85" diagonal screen, Denon AVR X3400h receiver, B&W 601 front speakers, similar B&W center, and Mirage omnisat micro L+R surrounds. Kitchen has wall mounted KEF Q100 speakers that are being driven by a Rotel RCD-975 CD player, Rotel RC960BX and an Adcom GFA 535ii power amp. The living room has a pair of B&W DM7 MK2 speakers, recently acquired Monitor Audio SR6 speakers. Other recent acquisitions include a Rotel RC-1572mk2 preamp, a Rotel RB-1050 power amp, an old Denon PMA520 integrated and SMSL Su-1 and lastly a TEAC A-H500 integrated (a very cool dual mono block design AB 50w in a very stylish package.) Streaming Tidal via a couple chromecast audio via toslink optical to which ever DACs I end up with in my final set ups. Mark

Top Bottom