• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird phenomenon on Topping D70 vs iBasso DC04

cruzzed

Hello guys, i want to share something, so i have tried the Topping d70 and iBasso DC04, with my Tin T4.

The iBasso has slight airy feels on the female vocals of the "Caelestium Finale Termini" (Genshin Impact Dvalin boss fight song) while the Topping d70 does not have the same airy feels. Looking from the graph that my friend showed me, D70 has a quite balanced/neutral THD + N vs Freq, while on iBasso DC04, it has a deep dive on the 12khz above.

Topping d70:
THDN-Ratio-vs-Freq-4-1024x833.jpg

iBasso graph:
THDN-Ratio-vs-Freq-1024x833.jpg

Then I did some testing to test the argument my friend has “that the airy feels on the vocals was at the 6khz a bit peak” using EqualizerAPO and setting peaking filter to -20db and scan through the mid to higher-end frequency while repeating the same part of the airy vocals.

I found out that the airy part will be muddled if the filter is set to 14-15khz, which is weird since according to the graph, it has a wide deep dip at treble end.

Can anyone explain this phenomena?

Thank you for your attention.

PS: English is not my first language, truly sorry if my wording caused any confusion.

Top Bottom