• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe. Then again we could claim it isn't a car, but a tricycle. :)
car or tricycle it doesn't matter because anything that moves on high-heels, wins :)
@lashto a search for weird cars on any engine will bring up a ton of images. I did not see many of the ones here. Feel free to pick out the best ones you find and post.
Cannot do much more than posting those 'neverending' sources of images. Simply posting an image is easy but the really useful/interesting posts are the ones with extra details/history/etc ... no car expert here and cannot add any such interesting bits.
Keep it going though, very nice thread.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is one of my favourite new channels, by Frank Stephenson, ex-BMW/Ford/Ferrari/Maserati/McLaren car designer. Really well-produced videos, great content that dissects car designs. Here he shows exactly why BMW's new grille design is so repulsive.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ilkless the BMW grill alone qualifies it as weird, and I agree it's ugly. For the last several years BMW's in the US had the lowest resale values of the 4 German luxury car builders.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot do much more than posting those 'neverending' sources of images. Simply posting an image is easy but the really useful/interesting posts are the ones with extra details/history/etc ... no car expert here and cannot add any such interesting bits.
Keep it going though, very nice thread.

I have been trying myself to post the interesting ones. Some are my original photographs. I never did a broad search for weird cars to find my images. Houston happens to be a center for art cars. Unfortunately, the April parade was canceled due to the pandemic.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ilkless the BMW grill alone qualifies it as weird

That was what I was getting at. Saw it in real life on a new 4-series on the road as well, and it's still just as bad.

Back to more weird cars, I always admired Ken Okuyama's (Ferrari Enzo among others on the CV) coachbuilding operation in Japan. Some really quirky designs made in the same tradition as Touring or Pininfarina. His take on an Elise platform:

1610162279821.png

1610162296402.png

There's a camera on the rear fin that acts as the rear view mirror.

I also saw a couple of Mitsuokas in my neighbourhood before (photos from Google):

1610162669928.png

1610162704936.png

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ilkless the question is are we looking at a car which is weird or just different. Race cars are different, but form follows function. Art cars are usually weird, but are they weird in a significant way?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s not weird. That’s beautiful.

It's different and beautiful. I'm looking for some of my photos of vintage and race cars.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1939 Duesenberg Coupé Simone Midnight Ghost

View attachment 105116
I was wondering if it was a typo as Duesnberg folded in 1937. It isn't, but the car is a fraud. It was a Franklin Mint model and that is why the lady and some of the rest look computer generated. They never made such a car. Not that it wouldn't have been nice. It also didn't fit with the design ethos of Dusenbergs. Looked more like some of the Bugatti designs.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if it was a typo as Duesnberg folded in 1937. It isn't, but the car is a fraud. It was a Franklin Mint model and that is why the lady and some of the rest look computer generated. They never made such a car. Not that it wouldn't have been nice. It also didn't fit with the design ethos of Dusenbergs. Looked more like some of the Bugatti designs.

Nice sleuthing. It's still beautiful.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
those rear fis show that form follows what you think is function

Shorty

Somewhat less over the top than the Duesenberg, the Bugatti Tipo 57T from 1935:
1610307022790.jpeg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dr. Kamm is not amused by the Bugatti Butt.

Top Bottom