• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mazda Cosmo, a 3-rotor Wankel from the 1960s.
View attachment 46769
Well it started as a 2-rotor then later Mazda made it a 3-rotor. It's the only 3-rotor production Wankel.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...a13135113/you-must-buy-this-1968-mazda-cosmo/
I nearly purchased one of those once. It was bank repo, though in nice condition. My Dad talked me out of it because it was weird, nobody would want it if I needed to sell it, and he was suspicious of the whole rotary thing. They also were pretty plush inside.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I grew up riding in a 1962 Pontiac Tempest station wagon with the 4-cylinder engine. I remember walking away from it dieseling away in parking lots on hot summer days.

My contribution: The Volkswagen 411 (I learned to drive in one)
Volkswagen_411_large.jpg

Martin
Man you were supposed to buy Ethyl with the high octane unless you are talking early 70's when they first took the lead out.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I nearly purchased one of those once. It was bank repo, though in nice condition. My Dad talked me out of it because it was weird, nobody would want it if I needed to sell it, and he was suspicious of the whole rotary thing. They also were pretty plush inside.
What a lost opportunity! They're worth real bucks these days, if in decent condition. I learned to drive with a 1979 Honda Civic and those of us who drove Japanese cars from the 1970s know what cheap little buzz-boxes they were. The Cosmo shows a whole different side of early Japanese car manufacturing.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This us owned by Jay Leno. The engine is a V-12 from a Patton Tank. It probably drinks fuel like crazy.

blastolene-special.jpg

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1959 Cadillac Cyclone
See those two black cones where the
cadillac.jpg
headlights should be? Those are the radars for the car’s crash-avoidance system, a technology you might recognize as today’s adaptive cruise control. If the car sensed an approaching object, it would set of a series of warning lights and a high-pitched beep, and car could even automatically apply the brakes.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This us owned by Jay Leno. The engine is a V-12 from a Patton Tank. It probably drinks fuel like crazy.

View attachment 47982

Leno has one of the great car/vehicle collections...i watch his show all the time.
Have you seen him ride his turbine motorcycle? That's not for everybody...

Wombat

Master Contributor
@Frank Dernie who is a member here designed or had a hand in designing that car. I believe Ross Brawn was his assistant in some capacity.

Those upper front suspension arms look to be inspired by audio tonearms.
whistle.gif

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
@Frank Dernie who is a member here designed or had a hand in designing that car. I believe Ross Brawn was his assistant in some capacity.

I remembered the car from when I was a kid; obviously having two extra wheels makes it quite memorable. :)

It was around this time that Formula 1 tried out a number of things that were later banned, like skirts and fans that actively sucked air from beneath the car to increase the down force:

800px-2001_Goodwood_Festival_of_Speed_Brabham_BT46B_Fan_car.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that one, the Williams FW07D and Williams FW08B which had 4 driven wheels at the back. Small front wheels make no sense since the aero drag is dominated by the rear. Ross was indeed my lab technician at the time and he made the strain gauge load cell wheel mounts I designed to measure the wheel drag in the wind tunnel. Prior to trying the small rears we had accepted that open wheel car drag was a given, and since it was pretty difficult to measure the drag of a rotating wheel in the tunnel we hadn't (the whole R&D consisted of me Ross and a junior technician at the time, we could only do so much)
FWIW the effect of the ground moving relative to the car and the wheels rotating makes such a huge change to the flowfield that testing a car in a wind tunnel with stationary floor and fixed wheels is quite pointless and leads to uncorrectable errors, but not many people know that!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
testing a car in a wind tunnel with stationary floor and fixed wheels is quite pointless

I'm guessing finding a treadmill capable of running at 200mph is quite tricky. :)

Although, what about a rolling road, the sort of thing they use for dyno testing, or does the fact that the whole surface underneath the car isn't moving relative to it mess that up?

Top Bottom