• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

nimar

Forum Donor
As I know the amp requires 1.6vrms max

where did you get this figure from?

It’s designed to take xlr input thus would expect it to work with the normal xlr voltages.

I built a purifi eval with the Ghent case (same one Vtv is using) almost two months ago and it’s been sitting around collecting dust as my speakers still haven’t arrived. All I have at the moment are active speakers, waiting for a pair of revel f208s, two weeks now and counting.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s designed to take xlr input thus would expect it to work with the normal xlr voltages.

I built a purifi eval with the Ghent case (same one Vtv is using) almost two months ago and it’s been sitting around collecting dust as my speakers still haven’t arrived. All I have at the moment are active speakers, waiting for a pair of revel f208s, two weeks now and counting.
That's a great combo-I have this amp and F208s and it's an incredibly transparent but dynamic sound.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

Wrong number, just 1.5v i don't know if my unit is at extra gain or not xD

'' You get full power with as little as 1.5 volt with the extra gain but need 11+ volts without it. ''
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

nimar

Forum Donor
That's a great combo-I have this amp and F208s and it's an incredibly transparent but dynamic sound.

Have you tried plugging your DAC straight into the amp? I saw somewhere else that you have a D70, I ordered a D70s and was wondering how its 5v output will work if the purifi gets to max with 1.5v input. Eg. Am I going to have to run it at -80db or something silly, and will that much digital attenuation start to degrade dynamics.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried plugging your DAC straight into the amp? I saw somewhere else that you have a D70, I ordered a D70s and was wondering how its 5v output will work if the purifi gets to max with 1.5v input. Eg. Am I going to have to run it at -80db or something silly, and will that much digital attenuation start to degrade dynamics.
Good question. I've never connected the D70 directly to the amp. That might be an easy and interesting thing to try. I may try that and report back. The specs of the D70s look great btw.

MeMe

Hey Rottmannash. I'm intending to pair a Freya+ with a VTV Purifi.
Before I order the VTV, what suggestions can you share with me? Are there any options that I should pay for?
Shall I buy the VTV custom buffer?
Thanks!

koko

vtv said me if i want, he can do the speakON with true + - + - for biwiring... i said yes :)

''I have wired several by request for others. It can't hurt for me to add the wires ''

Can someone please explain how connecting +2 and -2 on the Eval1 SpeakON connector enables biwiring (and where they get connected on the board)? Are both of the contact points on J11_A1 for speaker output, positive - Channel1 and likewise both contact points on J13_A1 for speaker output, negative - Channel 1?

1614348388227.png

Isn't this typically used for another channel? What speaker cable would one use to attach to a speaker with two sets of banana plugs?

1614348088062.png

nimar

Forum Donor
VTV is offering an EVAL1-based amp for $959. I thought the whole idea of the EVAL1 board was for “evaluation” and not incorporation in commercially available products, but I could be wrong. In any event, the $959 price is about $400 less than what a person could DIY it for. This just took me out of the DIY market.

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

Other than the EMI/RFI filter on the power mains input and without a front illuminated power button (because the I2C connector is no longer present on the current EVAL1) it looks to be essentially the same as the test units Purifi sent out:

View attachment 102495

dumb question but isn’t the power supply mounted backwards. In the Ghent photos (and the way I built mine) the heat sink faces the front of the case. That way no wires have to go over it, it’s further from the amps and the nice thick faceplate can take some heat.

Or is the heat sink supposed to block the psu heat from the amp?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think it matters too much, but from a wire routing standpoint yours and Ghent’s layout is optimal.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Rottmannash. I'm intending to pair a Freya+ with a VTV Purifi.
Before I order the VTV, what suggestions can you share with me? Are there any options that I should pay for?
Shall I buy the VTV custom buffer?
Thanks!
I'll be honest-I never considered a custom buffer. I knew the specs of the Eval 1 amp module and felt the extra cost of a custom buffer stage wasn't warranted. Of course I've not heard a Purifi amp with a custom buffer so don't know how different or better that might be. I've seen a couple videos where owners who have Sparkos buffers who claim an improvement. The only issue I've experienced with the Eval 1 amp and the Freya+ is when using the unity gain stage I will often have to turn the volume up to around 4 o'clock on some material to achieve truly loud levels. I don't think the custom input buffers allow for greater gain than what is available from the Eval 1 buffer but not certain. I'll just say the Freya+ combined with the Purifi is a monumental step up from anything I've owned.

Pritaudio

Any idea when the new purifi modules will be released.
not sure if it’s worth waiting.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New modules?
There was an audioxpress article about a factory visit where they told new high power modules were being designed. On Erin's video with Purifi's Lars Risbo he said Bruno was still working on them. No release date was given, they probably don't want to commit to it, but eventually they will be released... And I'll get my end game monos with them. :)

nimar

Forum Donor
There was an audioxpress article about a factory visit where they told new high power modules were being designed. On Erin's video with Purifi's Lars Risbo he said Bruno was still working on them. No release date was given, they probably don't want to commit to it, but eventually they will be released... And I'll get my end game monos with them. :)

I was also wondering that, but as I already have one, and would be unlikely to recoup the cost and then purchase giant new ones at even higher cost, instead have been toying with the idea of getting a second eval1 stereo amp and then bi-amping my speakers.

4x400W doesn’t sound all that bad. Sure it won’t be a perfect split, between the highs/lows but will most likely be cheaper than buying two new monster mono amps.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least I had the "best" Purifi amp for a few months....

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least I had the "best" Purifi amp for a few months....
To be fair, looking at the NCore line also developed by Bruno P, I expect some kind of tradeoff, where the mid powered 1ET400A has the lowest noise and distortion of all the Eigentakt series, and the high powered ones must trade some distortion and noise for more power. I would be very surprised if he can "bend the laws of physics" and come up with a high power module with the same or lower distortion than the 1ET400A.

So if you own bookshelf speakers or smaller and easy to drive tower speakers, 1ET400A should still be the best choice.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, looking at the NCore line also developed by Bruno P, I expect some kind of tradeoff, where the mid powered 1ET400A has the lowest noise and distortion of all the Eigentakt series, and the high powered ones must trade some distortion and noise for more power. I would be very surprised if he can "bend the laws of physics" and come up with a high power module with the same or lower distortion than the 1ET400A.

So if you own bookshelf speakers or smaller and easy to drive tower speakers, 1ET400A should still be the best choice.
I have the Eval 1 amp powering Revel F208s in a smallish room.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

But i don't think the 1et400a is a low power amplifier for drive bookshelf or easy towers, i mean the purifi can drive most of the speakers out there xD

Top Bottom