• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume potentiometer for IcePower 50asx2se

Gaspar74

Wondering if anyone could give me some insight into whether I can use a Volume pot for an ice Amp. I have a 50asx2se Im adding to a chassis that has volume knob and was wondering whats the best way to incorporate a volume Pot. Im seeing mixed opinions on this via interwebs. Would I need to add an input buffer preamp with volume pot? Thoughts?

OP
G

Gaspar74

So if Im using a passive preamp a Nobsound NS-05P for volume attenuation between Dac would I need a input buffer, my other option is using Yamaha Ca-1000 vintage int as Preamp, I tihnk that has 800 ohm impedance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if Im using a passive preamp a Nobsound NS-05P for volume attenuation between Dac would I need a input buffer, my other option is using Yamaha Ca-1000 vintage int as Preamp, I tihnk that has 800 ohm impedance.
What DAC are you going to use? Usually signal loss will be incurred via using a passive volume attenuator. The CA-1000 is a nice vintage unit although you will probably have a better SNR if you use a new buffer.

OP
G

Gaspar74

What DAC are you going to use? Usually signal loss will be incurred via using a passive volume attenuator. The CA-1000 is a nice vintage unit although you will probably have a better SNR if you use a new buffer.
Hi. I’m currently using a Music Fidelity V dac II through a rasp pi with digi one SPDIF out. If I was to use a buffer what exactly would I get. Ideally would like volume on the ice amp but can do without. I also have option for DSP Vokume through Roon as the dac doesn’t have preamp capability

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have option for DSP Vokume through Roon as the dac doesn’t have preamp capability
If you make a mistake with the PC volume control and go full volume you could damage the speakers. Hence a buffer (Or the Yamaha CA-1000.) with volume control is a nice safeguard.
If I was to use a buffer what exactly would I get.
If you use a modern high quality buffer you will get better signal to noise and maybe more voltage for the amp to amplify. It depends on the difference between the CA-1000 and the buffer.

Frankly I would connect the Yamaha CA-1000 and see how it works. It should work fine. :D

OP
G

Gaspar74

If you make a mistake with the PC volume control and go full volume you could damage the speakers. Hence a buffer (Or the Yamaha CA-1000.) with volume control is a nice safeguard.

If you use a modern high quality buffer you will get better signal to noise and maybe more voltage for the amp to amplify. It depends on the difference between the CA-1000 and the buffer.

Frankly I would connect the Yamaha CA-1000 and see how it works. It should work fine. :D
I'm going to use the Ca-1000 as a pre. Im using it as a preamp with Aiyima A07 right now and it sounds wonderful. Allthough this Yamaha is my Jewel and really love the sound of it, quite nice and very detailed without harshness. Saving the amplifier section is a good diea as well. Should I buy a buffer board, aside from those Neuchrome you posted what would work well with the icepower? Id prefer to power it via the aux of the ice but its 25v I believe. DO you have any recomendations on a prebuilt input buffer board? Thanks for youre help as usual. ;)

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'd use a passive preamp with a decent ALPS type pot...far safer to use in the chain than relying on your PC or server volume control, which can get bumped around...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to use the Ca-1000 as a pre. Im using it as a preamp with Aiyima A07 right now and it sounds wonderful. Allthough this Yamaha is my Jewel and really love the sound of it, quite nice and very detailed without harshness. Saving the amplifier section is a good diea as well. Should I buy a buffer board, aside from those Neuchrome you posted what would work well with the icepower? Id prefer to power it via the aux of the ice but its 25v I believe. DO you have any recomendations on a prebuilt input buffer board? Thanks for youre help as usual. ;)
The Neurochrome model(s) are a good buffer and Tom Christianson the designer and builder is a very talented electronics engineer and designer. I would contact Tom via his website and ask him what he recommends for your buffer. I am sure you will find him very helpful and insightful.

OP
G

Gaspar74

The Neurochrome model(s) are a good buffer and Tom Christianson the designer and builder is a very talented electronics engineer and designer. I would contact Tom via his website and ask him what he recommends for your buffer. I am sure you will find him very helpful and insightful.
emailed him to see what he says. ty.

side note: would something along theselines work? Would something like this work as input buffer? Looks like I could power via the external aux power maybe from the ice as well.

Sokel

Master Contributor
emailed him to see what he says. ty.

side note: would something along theselines work? Would something like this work as input buffer? Looks like I could power via the external aux power maybe from the ice as well.
Find one with nice clean 2-3 volts (I think that's the spec of yours,clamp must be near 3.5) balanced and power it from the module,that's the tidiest thing to do.

Top Bottom