• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Video Tour Of Extreme Audiophile Mansion...

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Love it.:)
I would certainly want to have a listen. Would I want the systems? No.
What I would want was the house and gardens. What a fantastic house. I couldn't help feeling that all that Hi Fi stuff spoilt the look of the house.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
seems to be a combination of some very good equipment and a lot of expensive foo. I would love to visit and have a listen though.

I don't know why the narrator is so obsessed with the grounding boxes though. Does he not realise they are complete nonsense?

I'd like to have seen a bit more of the Lincoln Navigator instead.

Chaconne

More than 10 minutes into the video before our host says, "Without further ado..." That's a lot of ado. Typical YouTube chatter machine.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha yes. One day a friend turned up with a classic Ferrari and said, want to go for a spin? I didn't say "pfft, my Nissan will get me from A to B more rationally and cost-effectively" did I? No I didn't.

I haven't watched the video yet, looks like I should.

Edit: ok a lot of very nice kit but hard to watch, narrator's tone matched that screenshot font :-//

Indeed.

I've been to various audiophile domains, some truly crazy obsessives, and also wealthy audiophiles homes. One guy was an art dealer in NYC, had just the kind of elaborate downtown apartment one might picture from that, but was also an audiophile. He had a huge system, expensive speakers, currently hyped "amps of the moment," etc. When he asked if I wanted a listen and I saw all the thick cables on risers I didn't say "pfft, no thanks I can see you buy in to some nonsense." I said "sure" and ended up having a great time listening to some fabulous sound. Similarly at another audiophile's place (editor of an audio mag) who never met a tweak he didn't like, I heard some astonishing playback of recorded sound that sticks with me to this day. Of course I wouldn't attribute it to all the sillier tweaks in the system, but that doesn't mean this guy didn't actually have a pretty good ear for also selecting the components that mattered, and setting up for great sound.

Similarly, I can see some nonsense in the home of the audiophile in the video, but I'd still love to hear the systems. I get that many here are set on particular goals that steeply winnow out what type of gear they will be interested in (and which gear they will decry). It's why we see a fair amount of repetition in the speakers that people tend to recommend or speak highly of (Genelec, KEF, Revel...etc). While I get the devotion to strict accuracy or gear that performs well for a sane price: Personally I'm just as fascinated by the idiosyncrasies of different approaches to audio and how they sound. Those Aries Cerat speakers powered by the absurdly priced Wavac giant single ended amps? I'd LOVE to hear that! Maybe the Wavac's distortion would be audible, maybe it wouldn't. Maybe the Aries Cerat speakers would sound weird or off-putting, maybe they'd sound phenomenal. Maybe the owner has somehow hit on a combination that would produce sound that blew my mind. Or even if it didn't, it would be fascinating to hear (and to hear what the owner judges as great sound).

The very pricing of lots of this gear throws down a sort of gauntlet "ok, it costs how much? Let's see what you bring to the table. Try and impress me." For me that's fun at audio shows, as well as wherever I hear it, at audiophile homes or whatever.

Again...horses for courses...I know other people can't be bothered with gear that doesn't suit their more strict goals or criteria.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More than 10 minutes into the video before our host says, "Without further ado..." That's a lot of ado. Typical YouTube chatter machine.

Oh man, you ain't seen nuttin'. If that narrator is too much, you'll want to stay away from a youtube channel featuring "OCD Mikey" of "OCD Hi-Fi Guy" channel.
I won't even post a link :)

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As to the comments along the lines of "how does he find the time" and the sense of "excess"....I definitely feel that watching the video too.

The accumulating of so many systems has a "got to have it, can't resist it" impression which almost takes on an OCD like character. But then I think of all those celebrities and rich guys who have garages filled with their collected cars, which strikes me in a similar way - "you can't really drive them enough to appreciate them, and how many do you need for cripes sake?" (I also look at the massive mansions rich people build and wonder why the heck they need all that? How much space does someone need?)

And when I start feeling that way about someone else's "excess" I remember that my own system would seem excessive to some non-audiohpiles. So despite some sort of negative intuitions about this stuff, it can be tough to draw the line.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Oh man, you ain't seen nuttin'. If that narrator is too much, you'll want to stay away from a youtube channel featuring "OCD Mikey" of "OCD Hi-Fi Guy" channel.
I won't even post a link :)
Been there, done that. I´d rather read metaphysics: at least Hegel had a good understanding of the concepts he used.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Been there, done that. I´d rather read metaphysics: at least Hegel had a good understanding of the concepts he used.
Kierkegaard, Heidegger, (Scruton and others)...disagree :p

Just think how much wisdom you may be missing from opinionated audiophiles making youtube videos....;-)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Kierkegaard, Heidegger, (Scruton and others)...disagree :p

Just think how much wisdom you may be missing from opinionated audiophiles making youtube videos....;-)
And rightfully so! But their arguments are several orders of magnitude better than ODC Mike´s.

Wisdom? As in the theory of phlogiston about combustion? ;)

Heat11

Hey folks,

I was just going down the youtube rabbit hole and happened upon this fairly new video.

It's a tour of a house owned by a clearly well-heeled audiophile who has multiple insanely expensive systems. It's helpful that the "tour guide" doing the video recognizes and can identify lots of the esoteric or rare equipment.

I'm posting it for fun, because I do find this stuff fun to check out. When I see these systems I think "I'd just LOVE to hear what that sounds like!" Plus I enjoy some of the catering-to-the-rich audiophile bling in some instances.

What's your take? Is this another occasion to roll your eyes at someone being taken in by dubious, irrationally expensive audiophile products? Or can you get a kick out of this stuff?
I thought it was a great video. I always like to see the wild and rare components. You clearly state the guy knows things are not going to work or aren't useful anymore and these plebs still have to complain and feel the need to point out the snake oil. Everyone just has to have their pointless opinion about things that are pointless.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Uh yeah, the measured performance leaves a lot to be desired, especially for $350,000. :rolleyes:
:facepalm:
Atkinsons conclusion " I can't explain why Michael found its sound so seductive; all I can do is point to the measurable problems or audible idiosyncrasies that must be listened through to hear what it does right." He must be getting tired of making up excuses for these deaf reviewers. The reviewer loved them.
If this doesn't show you what these audio rag reviews are worth (zero) nothing will.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
A lot of bullshit snake oil and bad taste in that video, but that is what you see a lot in rich people's homes. They got money to blow and do it on whatever interest them. But like said he could also buy a expensive supercar or a superyacht with it that is as useless as these systems, except as egoboost...

And those grounding boxes, shakti stones and snake oil cabling are what disturbs me the most. People should learn the basics of electronics, it's all that is needed to know that that is bullshit and a pure ripoff.
Supercars and yachts "outperform" regular ones that are 1/10 there price. These amps underperform regular amps that are 1/1000! the price. Nothing compares to audiphools with money.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Interesting. So far it seems only you and I would want to listen to some of those systems for the heck of it. Like you, I certainly recognize there are some dubious elements, but boy it looks fun and he's got some wild speakers. But I guess it's not exactly unexpected that it would be mostly met derisively on ASR. It can be a pretty narrow lane here.
Don't get me wrong Ild love to hear the systems just to see how they compare. And to reinforce my theory on diminishing returns. Ive probably heard better for a small fraction of the price.

syn08

He must be getting tired of making up excuses for these deaf reviewers.
If the reviewers would be deaf, that would be a good excuse for this BS. I'm afraid this is not the case, but rather helping the high end audio sales force to clean six or even seven figures out of the "victims" checkbooks. It may look immoral but (since I am not expecting a filthy rich with OCD to donate his money to fight hunger in the 3rd world), I recognize their role in the economy, by redistributing the wealth. Even the disgusting hyenas have their positive role in the ecosystem.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Atkinsons conclusion " I can't explain why Michael found its sound so seductive; all I can do is point to the measurable problems or audible idiosyncrasies that must be listened through to hear what it does right." He must be getting tired of making up excuses for these deaf reviewers.

On what basis, from this review, do you conclude Fremer must be "deaf?"

Fremer described the sound with the Wavac driving his speakers as mellow on top, warm in the bass, and vivid in the midrange.

Atkinson notes in his measurements of the Wavac: a roll off in the top end, a bass boost, and the presence of likely audible 2nd harmonic distortion, all of which in principle would fit Fremer's description like a glove.

And you weren't there to know exactly how the Wavac interacted with Fremer's speakers, to know his description was inaccurate to the point of "deafness."

I know, I know we looove to diss subjective reviewers, especially Fremer...but it doesn't help to make it knee-jerk dismissal.

Back to the video discussion...

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On that house first. It looks like a typical California McMansion. Over the top of this faux Tuscan/Spanish colonial look. There are many, many in SoCA and all our CA. It also looks like it has been loaded with expensive stuff and furniture with little forethought. But taste is personal. Maybe they don't care.

I would love to hear all those systems but I don't think that any of them would "interest" me. Again, taste is personal.

A clarifying point on OCD. People that suffer the condition need to perform the rituals because of their obsessions. If they do not perform the rituals (compulsions), they have huge [negative] anxiety. They know it is wrong but they can't stop themselves. I was responsible for the introduction of the first drug approved for OCD in the US, so I am familiar with the condition. That first year, we contracted and produced a "Broadway" type show for the American Psychiatric Association national meeting describing OCD and the misunderstood OCPD. The latter drives everyone crazy but they think they are fine. The OCD person knows they are wrong but can't fix it. Somehwere in storage, I have the only audio recording left of the show on an Ampex 456 OR tape. I can still sing some of the melodies in my mind. Maybe I should digitize it and make it public.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have the only audio recording left of the show on an Ampex 456 OR tape. I can still sing some of the melodies in my mind. Maybe I should digitize it and make it public.
Yeah good luck with that. Ampex 456 has all gone sticky-shed and won't play unless baked.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Oh no! I'm terrified to open the box now. It would be really sad.
120 degrees for 8 hours in your oven. Just make sure that the tape is on a metal reel which won't melt. If it does happen to be on a plastic reel, it might be difficult to rewind it onto a metal one because the tape will probably just stop because of the gummy deposit on the guides. Its a mess.

Top Bottom