• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Video Camera Glasses

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I got a crazy idea of documenting some development and construction projects with video. For this, a nice hands-free POV-capable setup would be incredibly helpful. In doing a preliminary look, almost anything of quality seemed to only come in sunglasses style (and electronics construction is very much an indoor sport). And to a novice like me, the online reviews seem all over the map.

So I thought I would turn to this community of technogeeks and ask for advice and recommendations. I don't need too much "smart" capability (e.g. Siri or Alexa) or built in viewing screens, just good quality video that I can dump onto my computer after I'm done recording and suitable for indoor bench use.

Suggestions?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean cops wear body cams, but yeah a lightweight gopro style camera is probably how to go.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Can those be worn without getting in the way?

Something like this should do the job:

1714526703818.png

Seriously, do you really want POV? It would be really jarring to a viewer. Why not a camera mounted above your bench/table looking down from a fixed point. It would be stable while you poke around and build chit.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Seriously, do you really want POV?
Yes.

One concern is performance in less than massively bright light- what's the spec I look for to tell me if it will resolve what's going on underneath a board or between tube sockets without direct flood lighting readjusted for every bit of the chassis I'm working in?

312elements

Yes.

One concern is performance in less than massively bright light- what's the spec I look for to tell me if it will resolve what's going on underneath a board or between tube sockets without direct flood lighting readjusted for every bit of the chassis I'm working in?
Your best bet will be to have a light attached to it so that when you move it moves. Ability to see in low light is a combination of lens speed, and sensor size. Neither of those are going to be spectacular in any kind of small format. Good rule of thumb would be the camera on your phone is a best case scenario approximation of where your expectations should be.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Good rule of thumb would be the camera on your phone is a best case scenario
That's actually pretty good. I'd be happy with that, I just need it to be able to do POV without the camera accidentally banging into a transformer or (worse) an output tube.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Seriously. Nobody wants to watch a maker video that includes one hunting around under the workbench for that screw that just dropped on the floor.
That's why God invented editing. :D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for a GoPro if you want actual good quality video. The lenses are very "fisheye" / wide because it makes action sports POV look like you're going fast, but other than that they are popular for a reason. I avoided getting one for a long time but the quality and usability are simply quite good, the budget options are simply not very good in comparison, I've found. And you can get all sorts of head, chest, necklace-style or other straps.

Low light performance is also pretty good on the recent models.

They should be pretty easy to find secondhand, and you can probably buy with confidence as long as they don't appear damaged, since they're built to be used by people flinging themselves down mountains and off ramps and such.

The only drawback is the sound on a GoPro is not very good, but I think you can get wireless mics for them if that's an issue.

Hiten

How about spywear glasses with good resolution ?

-will be of least interference.
-will record exact area of interest as your eyes sees it
- will have less to and fro motion compared to side attached camera
- with proper (ambient) lighting on object, detailed recording can be done even with budget camera.
- surrounding people will be less suspicious of the activity :)

Regards

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, do you really want POV? It would be really jarring to a viewer. Why not a camera mounted above your bench/table looking down from a fixed point. It would be stable while you poke around and build chit.
Agree. Don't body mount. Look up the Lockpickinglawer for a good example.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How about I duct tape a GoPro (there's a few floating around here) on my head tomorrow and see what it looks like when working on a piece of gear? Just normal lighting.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
How about spywear glasses with good resolution ?

-will be of least interference.
-will record exact area of interest as your eyes sees it
- will have less to and fro motion compared to side attached camera
- with proper (ambient) lighting on object, detailed recording can be done even with budget camera.
- surrounding people will be less suspicious of the activity :)

Regards
Something like that with higher resolution/frame rate would be ideal; I don't care about the "hidden" part, but the other aspects of form factor are almost ideal. (Unfortunately, the brand isn't given in that video and their Amazon link doesn't work)

Hiten

Amazon USA shows good number of results. Search '4k HD glasses camera'. Is brand important ?
Ignore my hidden feature note. My failed attempt at humor. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Top Bottom