• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Value of room correction?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Dealux

How does stuff like Open-DRC work exactly?

For audio professionals that want to calibrate monitors or headphones that don't have built in DSP, there needs to be a way to EQ them without the use of plugins or software. Usually I would simply load a calibration EQ on the master bus in my DAW but that actually makes it harder to mix/master properly because you can't monitor levels accurately with a pre-amp in the master bus.

So is there a way to DSP in the box with a hardware DSP solution that supports ASIO? Note that USB DACs have to support and work with ASIO drivers for low latency audio processing, which bypasses any system EQ.

Edit: Never mind lol. I just realized FL Studio had a "Current" mixer bus where you can place the DPS plugin without affecting the master.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
What hasn't been addressed and my point with a few commercial software being used is "excess phase" correction at low frequencies. I have tried MMM technique several times and it does not deal with excess phase at low frequencies. I have also tried MMM with rePhase for excess phase correction and is not the same, but closer, to the commercial software. What I am discussing isn't "magic." In this article, one can see in the time domain a maximum phase peak caused by low frequency room reflections, that are corrected in the time domain. It certainly is audible to my ears.

Well, MMM cannot be used for "excess phase" correction as it doesn't have time component at all. :)

It is however great for getting trully spatially averaged amplitude response which can be used for amplitude correction up to 900Hz. Most commercial software are using single sweep or limited number of them (Dirac uses 9 for example) but MMM does much more precise job with spatial averaging as you can quickly collect more than 60 samples over your LP.

To correct phase I'm using 1M sine sweep. I tried using vector average of several sweeps to get spatially averaged time domain data but it turned out phase doesn't vary that much as amplitude so single sweep at the center of the LP is sufficient.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
(Dirac uses 9 for example)

Depends on the setup. It can be as many as 17.

In my lab, I take a spatial power average in 6-9 positions for each speaker frequency response or distortion measurement (e.g. all off-axis curves are also spatially averaged). It's a bit of a pain, but I like the ability to get my refractive butt out of the way and limit any motion noise. For a pink noise measurement, I do something much more like you do.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Igor Kirkwood

[QUOTE = "QMuse, post: 390445, member: 13514"] Eh bien, MMM ne peut pas être utilisé pour la correction de "phase excessive" car il n'a pas du tout de composante temporelle. :)
[/ CITATION]
Jean-Luc -Ohl complète également ses mesures MMM par des mesures impultionelles en 5 points

Le Concombre

Vector average in REW is designed to average measurements in time domain (phase) and will NOT give you correct result for averaging frequency response. If you want to average measurements for frequency response you should use Average the Responses under All SPL tab.

O yes it can give great result for averaging frequency response ; you just need the right target, ie the attached one, more there :https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...es-should-what-you-see-be-what-you-get.14594/

Attachments

• Harman CurveWIP.txt
    338 bytes · Views: 96

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the miniDsp DDRC-22D with Dirac in the digital chain.
I measured it here.
It may also be used as a source selector and digital volume control (comes with a temote).
You need a good DAC afterwards.

Top Bottom