• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Neumann KH 120iis and KH 80s in a 4.1 setup

So I currently have a kh750 and 2 Kh120iis calibrated with MA 1 and it sounds great. It's connected to my computer via DAC and preamp. I use it at my desk which has an 42" LG C3 as a monitor.

I thought it would be nice to connect it via eARC that way I could have the great sound from any input from the tv, as well as adding two KH80s for rears. I think a phantom center would be fine, plus there's no room for a center at my desk anyway. After some research it seems like Denon AVR-X3800H would be a good receiver. Or Marantz AV7706
for balanced preouts. Does it even make a enough difference to justify the price increase?

I'm not sure the best way to connect the speakers to AVR preouts though. The problem would be if there is any way to use MA 1 calibration with this? Would I have to do a rear 2.1 connected to surround back on the receiver and a front 2.1 connected to the front on the receiver in order to have each calibrated? If connected that way the rears wouldn't use the sub unless I had a second sub for them? Would this even be worth it? Or would it be ok to just have the front 2.1 be calibrated and have the rears be separate and uncalibrated? Then the rears again still wouldn't use the sub unless I added another one but would they even need one?

I noticed there's calibration for the receiver itself. Would it be good to have MA 1 for the front 2.1 and then calibrated as a whole with the AVR? In that case should have I the sub connected directly into the receiver instead of the front going through the sub to the speakers? That way the sub could be used with the rears but then would MA 1 still work?
Also note that the surround setup be just be for movies and video games. Any music or production would be 2.1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom